Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

OK I was talking with some friends about the five most enlightening books, as in if you had to hand someone a stack of books to help them understand life the universe and everything what would they be?
Well, there are so many good ones out there it is hard to limit it to just 5 or even 10

SO here is my attempt, and I hate to even post this because I may leave something obvious off and if so, please feel free to make suggestions or add your own. Remember, this is my list, your's would and should be your own as well.
IN no Particular Order
Mans Eternal Quest by Paramahansa Yogananda
Jesus for the Non-Religious by John Shelby Spong
Illusions by Richard Bach
If you Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill him by Sheldon Kopp
The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell
The Theory of Everything by Steven Hawking
The Inner Reaches of Outer Space by Jospeh Campbell
Thus Spake Zarathustra by Frederick Nietzsche
Man and His Symbols by Jung
The Age of Reason by THomas Paine

Again, it makes it difficult to just place 10 and I can already think of a dozen more, espeicially textbooks and commentaries in philosophy, aesthetics, history, science etc etc

Now, yes, the Bible is not on there, because it just doesn't make the cut or do anything for me. And everytime the subject comes up, someone cries about it. SO go to this website, Softness Worth Sharing - Share America's Softest Tissue | Kleenex® Brand Tissues
They will send you a free pack of Kleenex.
You can CRY me a River
Seriously though, I have said for years that we have so many books which are better than the Bible, and even though a few of these may reference the Bible, they are each invidually and collectively more spiritually enlightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
I would hand them these books:

Banned Books Week: 5 books almost anyone might want to burn - CSMonitor.com (http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2010/0928/Banned-Books-Week-5-books-almost-anyone-might-want-to-burn - broken link)

Because there is a lot to be learned from such books.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Mans Eternal Quest by Paramahansa Yogananda
Jesus for the Non-Religious by John Shelby Spong
Illusions by Richard Bach
If you Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill him by Sheldon Kopp
The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell
The Theory of Everything by Steven Hawking
The Inner Reaches of Outer Space by Jospeh Campbell
Thus Spake Zarathustra by Frederick Nietzsche
Man and His Symbols by Jung
The Age of Reason by THomas Paine
I have a lot of books by Carl Jung. He is fascinating!
I would say the book that I found most enlightening recently was The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Well, in order to explain Life, the Universe and Everything, you could do no better than to start with -

Life, The Universe and Everything.

Personal likes would dictate I have a good translation of Tao Te Ching.

The Complete Works of Shakespeare to feed the soul.

The Collected Works of Dr. Seuss to feed the soul's sense of the absurd.

And finally, The Kama Sutra to occupy your free time profitably.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Well, in order to explain Life, the Universe and Everything, you could do no better than to start with -

Life, The Universe and Everything.

Personal likes would dictate I have a good translation of Tao Te Ching.

The Complete Works of Shakespeare to feed the soul.

The Collected Works of Dr. Seuss to feed the soul's sense of the absurd.

And finally, The Kama Sutra to occupy your free time profitably.

Oh yeah Life, The Universe and Everything is excellent So is Tao Te Ching

Have you ever read The Tao of Pooh? Sounds like just another cute comic for kids and Disney lovers, but it is actually quite insightful and entertaining as well.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:46 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Oh yeah Life, The Universe and Everything is excellent So is Tao Te Ching

Have you ever read The Tao of Pooh? Sounds like just another cute comic for kids and Disney lovers, but it is actually quite insightful and entertaining as well.
Oh, yes - in fact, it was required first-year reading for my students.

His second book Te of Piglet, however, left something to be desired IMHO.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM

138 posts, read 181,571 times
I also love Osho's books. He never actually "wrote" anything -- his books are simply transcriptions of his oral speeches to his followers (who went to him for guidance on meditation). In my opinion, he's an intellectual and spiritual genius!

You can find some Osho quotes online if you're curious about him. Here's a good one:
Morality
Bodhidharma ... far transcends moralists, puritans, so-called good people, do-gooders. He has touched the very rock bottom of the problem. Unless awareness arises in you, all your morality is bogus, all your culture is simply a thin layer which can be destroyed by anybody. But once your morality has come out of your awareness, not out of a certain discipline, then it is a totally different matter. Then you will respond in every situation out of your awareness. And whatever you do will be good.

Awareness cannot do anything that is bad. That is the ultimate beauty of awareness, that anything that comes out of it is simply beautiful, is simply right, and without any effort and without any practice. So rather than cutting the leaves and the branches, cut the root. And to cut the root there is no other method than a single method: the method of being alert, of being aware, of being conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality