Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,660,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Closure...so does a memorial service.
But, Nea1, my question is for you, not those lft behind.
why do YOU want the crypt rather than cremation....or even burial at sea.
Since believers in the soul believe it leaves the body and resides elsewhere, I'd like to hear more about why to keep a bunch of bones around forever.
I guess it comes down to a couple of things, which I am sure are silly, but still...
My number one fear is dying in a fire.
Second and this is the silliest, not existing on earth, even in just the body form.
Third, family tradition, goes waaaaaaaay back.

I am sure as I get old, I wont care anymore and it may change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,167,771 times
I can understand all that Nea1, but would have to suggest that you aren't totally comfortable yet with the idea of no life after death.
It appears that your intelligence and emotions are in conflict.
I hope you resolve that conflict to your satisfaction.
Best wishes

Old 10-05-2010, 01:05 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,660,632 times
Quote:
I can understand all that Nea1, but would have to suggest that you aren't totally comfortable yet with the idea of no life after death.
It appears that your intelligence and emotions are in conflict.
I hope you resolve that conflict to your satisfaction.
Best wishes
I am ok with it, have no choice. I think my issues are I love living life to much, hate to see it end. Hate to not be a part of it anymore. I dont really have a problem with no life after death, it is a problem with no life.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,650,484 times
I'm going to be cremated and have my ashes spread to the winds over the Chesapeake Bay, mainly because I grew up in that area and I see no sense in my earthly remains taking up a piece of real estate that I can't enjoy, as far as the view goes, what better view can there be than the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,508,529 times
Quote:
Another discussion made me think of this.
Not only silk-lined, pillowed,inner-spring coffins ....more expensive than most people ever spent on the beds they slept in all their lives...but even water-proof ....sunk into a cement lined hole....buried in often quite valuable real estate with great views...views???
Or cremation.

What is the point/purpose of being buried?(or even interred in a masoleum)
The last attempt to not admit that dead is done, that's it, nothing exists beyond, no after life, etc. Is it their ego, their delusion of self importance, or some other character flaw that causes them cling so desperately to there being something else.

How utterly stupid to preserve the body by pumping it full of chemicals, dress them in new cloths, and put them in a sealed box, which is put in a concrete vault. They are still just dead.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,038,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I'm going to be cremated and have my ashes spread to the winds over the Chesapeake Bay, mainly because I grew up in that area and I see no sense in my earthly remains taking up a piece of real estate that I can't enjoy, as far as the view goes, what better view can there be than the Chesapeake Bay.

none my friend!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,715,897 times
Quote:
The stone placed on it is the last thing left that actually states the person existed. The type of burial is based on the rellgions rituals in connection to death.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:13 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,038,227 times
Quote:
A

I love genealogy and I have been tracking my family tree and one source I have used is grave markers for information. In the cemetery my grandmother is buried in so are my great grandparents and gg grandparents. It was a family plot. For myself I am Jew by choice so my grave marker will be in Hebrew and that will mark the first Jewish marker in my family.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,612,762 times
Some religions believe that you have to be in one piece, as you were "created", in order to answer the call at resurrection time. A corollary is the reason they don't allow suicides to be buried in certain cemeteries - your "sin" is unforgivable.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,628,829 times
Quote:
Another discussion made me think of this.
Not only silk-lined, pillowed,inner-spring coffins ....more expensive than most people ever spent on the beds they slept in all their lives...but even water-proof ....sunk into a cement lined hole....buried in often quite valuable real estate with great views...views???
Or cremation.

You mean, as opposed to a cremation? I'm not paying a dime for my death ceremony. It's just a dead body at that point, and I could really care less what they do with it. Cremation is probably the most sensible alternative. Like you, I don't really see a point to having a lavish coffin taking up land somewhere. At the same time, I don't suppose you could just chuck my body in someone's backyard, the rotting flesh and odor would probably be rather unpleasant. And the flies...man, those would be annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality