Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:04 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times

Advertisements

I also am not overly concerned about going to hell, because I have a desire to enjoy a wonderful eternity wherever the place is that Jesus went to prepare for us. I don't focus on thoughts that if I am good, I will be rewarded..I have found that the longer I am a believer, the more I seem to naturally and easily conform to the things that Jesus taught about love, and acceptance of all Gods children. I believe that we are all Gods children, and as brothers and sisters in Christ should try to have compassion for each other, and to accept our difference and let our Heavenly Father be the judge of where he wants us to spend eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 04:17 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,614,121 times
Hey, y'all, hope I'm still remembered! It's been awhile since I've been on here. We've had alot going on lately, mostly with my husband, who just yesterday, started his first chemo and radiation treatments. So, I haven't had much chance to say anything on the forum, though I have read a few things, when I can. I actually have a few moments right now, so I thought I would respond to this particular thread, since it is so fresh.

Absolutely, I believe you can still get to Heaven, even if you don't believe in Hell, which I do not. At least, not an eternal one. Having a belief in, and accepting, Jesus has nothing to do with whether or not I believe in hell. I, like Jeff, also believe that God will, someday, save all of His creation. I believe that hell, (as such), is of a short duration, and has a purpose. I choose to believe that God will not fail his creation. So, get ready folks, 'cause some of you may be surprised to see Jeff and myself in Heaven, even though we don't believe in hell!

Old 07-03-2007, 04:20 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,439,515 times
Best Wishes to both you and your husband CelticLady I've missed talking to you.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,614,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Best Wishes to both you and your husband CelticLady I've missed talking to you.
Thank you, GCSTroop! I appreciate it! We need all the best wishes we can get! I've missed being on here, (my husband calls it my anger management. Hee! Hee!), and talking to you and the others also, but I'm hoping to get more of a routine of things going on, so I can be on the forum a little more often.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,558,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I have been watching a thread about the existance of hell and wondered what people thought about this question..I am talking about forever and ever hellfire, and damnation of a sinner as most people believe hell is. Your personal opinions as well as scripture for or against are welcome..
If you are a Christian you should believe there is a Hell.It states in Mark 9:47,"And if your eye causes you to stumble,cut it off;it is better for you to enter the Kingdom of God with one eye,than having two eyes,to be cast into hell.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:34 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,303,130 times
I believe hell/ the lake of fire is a real place because the Bible says so. Now this is my personal opinion: I do not believe that belief is a prerequisite to get into heaven. A person may not have come into all the knowledge of the Bible, but they are faithful to all the truth they know... does not mean they cannot go to heaven? I don't think so because Acts 2:21 says "who-so-ever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." That means anyone who calls.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:36 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,238,640 times
Default Saved, but wrong!

Back when I was in my twenties (many moons ago) I went through a period in which I didn't believe in hell. I don't think my salvation was in jeopardy then had I died while I believed that. But I do think I was wrong. And I do think it was God who led me back to a more scriptural viewpoint.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,905,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Hey, y'all, hope I'm still remembered! It's been awhile since I've been on here. We've had alot going on lately, mostly with my husband, who just yesterday, started his first chemo and radiation treatments. So, I haven't had much chance to say anything on the forum, though I have read a few things, when I can. I actually have a few moments right now, so I thought I would respond to this particular thread, since it is so fresh.

Absolutely, I believe you can still get to Heaven, even if you don't believe in Hell, which I do not. At least, not an eternal one. Having a belief in, and accepting, Jesus has nothing to do with whether or not I believe in hell. I, like Jeff, also believe that God will, someday, save all of His creation. I believe that hell, (as such), is of a short duration, and has a purpose. I choose to believe that God will not fail his creation. So, get ready folks, 'cause some of you may be surprised to see Jeff and myself in Heaven, even though we don't believe in hell!

I say this in total "love" and jest:

Oh no, now Jeff has more amunition to shoot at us!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,905,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I believe hell/ the lake of fire is a real place because the Bible says so. Now this is my personal opinion: I do not believe that belief is a prerequisite to get into heaven. A person may not have come into all the knowledge of the Bible, but they are faithful to all the truth they know... does not mean they cannot go to heaven? I don't think so because Acts 2:21 says "who-so-ever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." That means anyone who calls.
I agree!

Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 AM

668 posts, read 679,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Trebek, posts like this should make it clear why I made an incorrect assumption in another thread!

So you believe in both Buddhism and Christianity?
Yes my friend. I was raised agnostic, but I spent my high school years in the Church of Christ were I learned a lot about the bible and finally baptised.
Then I started asking my preacher things like "are Buddhist's going to hell", ect... I must say that I didn't agree with him. I believe in the teachings of Christ (except for the ones that weren't stuck in there by the revisionists).

I studied Buddhism, Taoism, and a few other Oriental philosophies, during college and I still do. Buddhism and Taoism were philosophies written by very wise men, but both men said "I am not a diety and don't worship me", people do worship them, I guess they feel a need to, I don't. The Eastern philosophies are very accepting of other faiths, and consider it normal to infuse their philosophies with those of other religions. Seeking the truth is more important than shoving dogma down other peoples throats.

Hinduism, which predates Christianity by more than 4000 years, is where the concept of reincarnation comes from. Many folks in the Orient have adopted it, and so have I. The idea of your soul serving thousands of lives, thru myriads of planets, and graduating to the next level, by reducing bad Karma and gaining understanding, is what I choose to agree with. The heaven/hell alternative makes little sense to me. I don't believe in all this 100%, but it seems like a definate possiblity, so I go with it until proven otherwise. Blind faith is a dangerous thing, and can result in mind control.

When I encounter a situation that requires moral judgement, I usually think of a brilliant verse from the bible to decide what to do. Much Oriental philosophy is alligned with the same verses, but I am more comfortable with the verses I learned when I was young. I know and love the Bible well.

The concept of Karma is exactly the same concept of the verse "you reap what you sow". The Eastern concept of achieveing Nirvana (heaven) is achieved by eliminating Karma. Which can be interpreted as Redemption.

The east and west are closer than one may think, but I find the Western Religions far less tolerant than the Eastern. Overall, both believe the same basic requrements to achieve the ultimate goal of heaven.

I think that many religious people, ruin the beauty of the idea of attaining heaven by quibbleing over minor things...I.E. Immersion vs sprinkleing, ect...
Shouldn't people seek to reduce Karma by loving their neighbors, instead of judgeing them? Christs' main points were "Love thy neighbor as thy self", and do onto others as you would have them do onto you"?

Love everyone and accept what they believe, if they are seekers of the truth then they will eventually find it (it could take many lifetimes in my opinion).

Sincerely,

Trebek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality