Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,829,738 times

Advertisements

Here's a better way to protest Westboro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AupyzbQMLAs

http://www2.wsav.com/news/2010/oct/0...ors-ar-927295/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,398,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Burning the US flag doesn't hurt or harrass anyone.
Really? As prior military and coming from a family that has seen military service since WWI, I disagree vehemently. It hurts bad when people like me see this and it is most certainly harassment of those who were willing to give their lives for all it represents. It may be constitutional (and I support that), but you are wrong that it doesn't hurt or harass anyone.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,115,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The U.S. Supreme Court will weigh today whether a fundamentalist church had the right to protest a soldier's funeral with signs such as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "You're Going to Hell." CTV Calgary- U.S. court to weigh free speech rights at funerals - CTV News

What do you think...Do these people abuse the right to freedom of speech...or not?
I'm waiting for them to show up here in north central Ohio at a fallin soldiers funeral. I know some ole boys that will be happy to put their signs where the sun don't shine, male or female they don't care. Freedom of speech or not.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,465,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Is this the same as burning a U.S. Flag in protest or burning crosses across the street from a black family's residence?
NO it is not, the American flag represents ONLY the government currently in power, and there have been times in our recent history when I fully supported this form of protest. Last time when the knuckle dragging half-wit from texas lied through his teeth to take this country to war in Iraq, cause god told him to.

You cannot compare it to burning a cross across from a black family, as that is a personal attack, proving only the utter stupidity of the bigots that choose to do so.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:45 PM

10,604 posts, read 11,635,538 times
You know I saw this thread and I've been reading it and at first I wasn't going to respond but the more I read the more I feel I have to respond. As a Vietnam veteran I am appalled by what this so-called Christian group is doing to my brothers-in-arms and yes all veterans are brothers. I did two tours of duty in Vietnam and when I came home there were a lot of people at that time that were ashamed of the fact that I was there, even some of my relatives but I was fortunate that my father was a World War II veteran and understood what I went through. My family has a long line of veterans going back to the Revolutionary War, the war they gave us the freedom to do what we do. Not don't agree in any way whatsoever with the Westboro Baptist people are doing, I think it is disrespect in the highest form however, they do have the right to do what they do under our Constitution, believe me, if they ever showed up at a military funeral that I was present at I would be among the first to protest them. I've read in this thread about burning our flag, you may have the right to do that but I also have the right to take that flag away from you if you disrespect it, too many families have lost members of their family throughout our history defending that flag and I'll get enough veterans together to take that flag from you if you decide to do that. We are guaranteed certain freedoms and rights but that does not guarantee the right to be disrespectful without suffering the consequences. And this is my opinion of which I have a right to express.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:54 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,012,148 times
Westboro Baptist Church = The reason for birth control .

Old 10-08-2010, 02:56 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,662,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Really? As prior military and coming from a family that has seen military service since WWI, I disagree vehemently. It hurts bad when people like me see this and it is most certainly harassment of those who were willing to give their lives for all it represents. It may be constitutional (and I support that), but you are wrong that it doesn't hurt or harass anyone.
My man is career military. Been in for 20 years now, and is staying another five, has done seven combat tours, so don't preach to me about military service and sacrifice, mmmkay? People like him are the reason we're allowed to burn the flag if we want. If we couldn't, then that would disrespect every minute he's sacrificed to defend our right to freedom, which includes the freedom to burn the flag.

I'd never burn a flag myself, and neither would he, but both of us will fight tooth and nail for the right of an American citizen to do so.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:15 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,490,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Of course, that's why I qualified my comment by referring to the conditions stipulated in my previous post

- seeing the the "church's" protest across the street from a funeral being analogous to cross burning, across the street from a black family's residence. Both instances are to incite.
But there has to be a specific law against it. There are specific laws against burning crosses. There are no laws against protesting. Maybe there should be, but there aren't. That's the problem.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,785,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
NO it is not, the American flag represents ONLY the government currently in power, and there have been times in our recent history when I fully supported this form of protest. Last time when the knuckle dragging half-wit from texas lied through his teeth to take this country to war in Iraq, cause god told him to.

You cannot compare it to burning a cross across from a black family, as that is a personal attack, proving only the utter stupidity of the bigots that choose to do so.
I wasn't. I hope you read on and realized I was not attempting what you gleened from that post. I was asking someone else if they agreed with that question. We are essentially in agreement. That question was more facetious than actully equating those two. What I was equating was cross-burning and the Westboro Baptist Church protestors and their actions against the fallen servicemen's funerals. Although I wouldn't support burning of the US Flag in protest of even this current single-term Chicagoan curruption-filled, community disorganizer, man-child who is in way over his head, wannabe president, for his failed policies driving our country closer to insolvency.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:37 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,785,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But there has to be a specific law against it. There are specific laws against burning crosses. There are no laws against protesting. Maybe there should be, but there aren't. That's the problem.
Maybe just a law against Westboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality