Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,555,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
[/b]

I would if I could, it would be a more peaceful and meaningful life I think. If I had a time machine, it would be changed trust me. But since I cant and I dont have a time machine an I am truly sorry will have to cut it for now.
Don't worry...they can't bring back all the Muslims and witches they killed either. Since George W. Bush said god told him to invade Iraq do you think that constitutes a religious war?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,294,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Just because 70% of the population believes in virgin birth, miracles and resurrection doesn't cut it any longer. Get your 10 commandments and manger scenes out of public places and go to church when you want to talk religion. I'll do you a favor...if I want to hear about the worship of ancient gods I'll go to a church, temple or mosque.
Having a bad day Mel? What's a matter? Did you see a woman with a cross necklace while standing in the checkout line at the grocery store? Is such a religious display too offensive to your atheist beliefs?
Never understood why atheists care what other people think about religion. If a group of people revived the Norse pantheon and started worshiping them I really wouldn't care less.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:13 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,155,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Never understood why atheists care what other people think about religion. If a group of people revived the Norse pantheon and started worshiping them I really wouldn't care less.
I bet you would if they managed to get "In Odin We Trust" as our national motto and printed on our money, "one nation under Odin" in our pledge, mandatory prayers to Odin, Freya and Thor in our schools and changed our history books to state the USA was founded on Norse mythology.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,628,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
[/b]

I would if I could, it would be a more peaceful and meaningful life I think. If I had a time machine, it would be changed trust me. But since I cant and I dont have a time machine an I am truly sorry will have to cut it for now.
Hope you didn't think I was saying your condolences *specifically* were "inadequate"...MOF it's wonderful that they are offered. This country needs more that think like that.

I meant "overall" that, "Ooooooh, so sorry" is inadequate.

We can...and we should...return control of this country back to those it was stolen (mostly by deadly force) from.

Putting a bounty the equivalent of weeks of pay on another persons scalp to prove they had been killed...mans inhumanity to man at it's worst.

What was with those guys back then? Invading the country, killing the natives, and taking everything they had...slavery...disputes settled with a gun. THEY were the "savages"...it doesn't get more "savage" than the stuff they did.

Though I don't blame "religion"...those men did the horrible things they did of their own volition...and would have no-matter. They were truly evil people...right there with the worst EVER.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,130,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
I bet you would if they managed to get "In Odin We Trust" as our national motto and printed on our money, "one nation under Odin" in our pledge, mandatory prayers to Odin, Freya and Thor in our schools and changed our history books to state the USA was founded on Norse mythology.
Good point! I tried to rep you for it.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:32 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,536,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Then they'd better get to work on renaming the days of the week, as well...

Tuesday (for Tiw)
Wednesday (for Woden)
Thursday (for Thor)
Friday (for Freya)
Saturday (for Saturn)

And while we're at it... how about July (for Julius Caesar) and August (Augustus Julius Caesar).

Old 10-09-2010, 07:44 PM

430 posts, read 582,432 times
Oh there you go with them danged facts again. You're obviously mis-quoting something. Somewhere.

By hijacking so many events and nomenclature, Christians have taken certain liberties in their claims of ownership:

• Christmas
  • Easter timing
  • Recent add-on Christian references on our money and Pledge of Allegiance
  • Claims that this is a Christian country and therefore they should be able to force their religion and beliefs on our children in schools.
  • A global (versus historically verified and localized) flood story.
  • A bunch of Greek fables and history.
All changed to suit their agenda.

BTW, in this morning's Seattle Times, on the front page, it's noted that a number of powerful Christians leaders are very unhappy about yoga, which they vehemently claim is "demonic".

You can't make this stuff up! As well, they apparently won't give up on this stuff either....

Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,937,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
... why is it that Christianity is philosophically and culturally incapable of ever saying it's sorry. For pedophile preachers, for The Spanish Inquisition, for The Crusades, for their hideous and cruel treatment of indigenous peoples the world over (the native Hawaiians, the N. American Indians, the native Mexican Indians and Mayans, the proud African tribes... all of them seen as rabble o be stomped on and "converted". This is what defensive Christian posters here are envious of and would like to force on us "horrible, godless heathen atheists".

And in the end, why is it that they always look down their crooked noses at you and smirkingly, patronizingly, offer to forgive YOU?

Why?
yes you are right however many atheists think native peoples were atheist and we were not. -of course that is not to say that some native people today might choose to be atheist just saying generally speaking back in the day we werent.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:58 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,937,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Hope you didn't think I was saying your condolences *specifically* were "inadequate"...MOF it's wonderful that they are offered. This country needs more that think like that.

I meant "overall" that, "Ooooooh, so sorry" is inadequate.

We can...and we should...return control of this country back to those it was stolen (mostly by deadly force) from.

Putting a bounty the equivalent of weeks of pay on another persons scalp to prove they had been killed...mans inhumanity to man at it's worst.

What was with those guys back then? Invading the country, killing the natives, and taking everything they had...slavery...disputes settled with a gun. THEY were the "savages"...it doesn't get more "savage" than the stuff they did.

Though I don't blame "religion"...those men did the horrible things they did of their own volition...and would have no-matter. They were truly evil people...right there with the worst EVER.
so true but most founding fathers did what they did to the native peoples in the name of religion thinking we were godless and immoral, they were so so wrong

Old 10-10-2010, 04:58 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,887,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
If a group of people revived the Norse pantheon and started worshiping them I really wouldn't care less.
They already have. It's called Asatru.

(www.asatru.ca)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.