Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,031,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There are lots of jerky Christians and Muslims, but come on. If you don't think there has been hateful atheists on this board you're just deluding yourself. Maybe they haven't directed their hatred on Judaism so much, but plenty of them bash the Tanakh and Torah in their attacks on Christianity.

You know I am sure there are posts that come from atheists that are hateful. But I have more empathy for those who find themselves on the receiving end more then not. I understand what it is like to be disliked just because of who you are, or what you believe.

Christians are in the majority and so their behavior comes across more often then not and it often is not in a positive way. Athiest/agnostics don't attack Judaism here maybe its because how many times have they been told by a Jew they need to become Jewish? How many times have they had Jews knock on their door with religious pamplets? For the most part Jews just want to be left to live our lives and practice our religion in peace.

We don't have a belief we are the only ones saved, or our way is the only way.

As to attacking the Old Testament. The Tanakh is the Hebrew Bible and it is different then the Old Testament.

When they are attacking the Christian Bible or Qur'an it is simply a book and they again have a right to their views.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's because Jews don't ram their fantastical beliefs down my throat.

I have a lot of respect for Jews (much more than christians) because at least the strive to follow the teachings instead of McChurch a la carte where weak pathetic people claiming to be christians cherry-pick those parts of the texts that appeal to them and reject the others.

I often went to Hebrew Union University to hear lectures on biblical (Old Testament) issues and also to study in their very nice library (especially since I could walk the several blocks there in just a few minutes).

Jews are constantly examining their texts to seek the Truth, whatever that might be, and they are very open to criticism, so long as the criticism is founded in logic and reason and supported by biblical evidence or parallel evidence from other contemporary cultures or archaeological findings.

Jews and Atheists would have enjoyed a wonderful 4-hour discourse on why Moses never wrote the bible except it was marred by ignorant bone-headed christians thumping the King Joke Vision and frothing at the mouth that because the bible says Moses wrote it (it says no such thing) then Moses wrote it and we're all going to Hell for even questioning it.

So between a Jew who speaks, reads and writes Classical Biblical Hebrew and an ignoramus christian who can barely read, write and speak English, who do you think understands the meaning of the word "torah?"

Jews don't have a problem admitting Yahweh had a female consort, why do christians?
Yeah he did and I leaned about that last year in my studies... There is so much Christians would not accept...

Old 10-07-2010, 01:11 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,198,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Yeah he did and I leaned about that last year in my studies... There is so much Christians would not accept...
Christians only accept the fluffy parts of the Hebrew bible (OT)....they totally disregard the teachings and concepts they don't want to adhere to or that totally negate and contradict what they are taught in the NT. That's what happens when you try to take a brand new religion and attempt to mesh it with an old one...it's like putting a square peg into a round circle...it isn't going to work no matter how hard you try to force it to.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM

651 posts, read 1,414,780 times
Part of the problem is that Bigblue's brand of religion isn't as vocal as other christian denominations. Moderate christians have become defined by the extremists. Although critics should try to separate the two, christians need to speak out against those loud christians that they don't agree with to make the distinction clear. Outside of the christian sub-forum, I rarely see christian's disagreeing with the fundamentalists.

Most of my criticism is geared toward fundamentalist christians as they are the loudest and most obnoxious theists I deal with in my real life. I try to separate whether or not I'm speaking about fundamentalist christians, christianity as a whole, other religions or theists in general but I may have been guilty of not always making my target clear to others.

I've noted a bit of hypocrisy by the OP. In the quote below, Bigblue makes a generalization about atheists in another thread. Is Bigblue bigoted toward atheists?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ve-your-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007
Why aren't Jews ever attacked by atheists? Maybe this topic deserves it's own thread.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,504,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
How often do you hear about atheist groups protesting against other people, like say gay people,or abortion rights or holiday displays alongside theirs, or at soldiers funerals ( aka Westboro Church) or about books and teachings at schools and so on? They can have their groups and meetings, fine, I dont care, but leave others alone to live as they want. But history shows, they cant and wont,they just keep pushing so we will continue to complain.
The American Atheists used to protest things. PZ Myers desecrated the Eucharist to make some kind of point. Although atheists are rarely Communists, Communists are generally atheists and they are active in protests.

However in the US atheists are maybe 5% of the population. They also lack a central organization. However if you can get an organized group of atheists they probably would protest as much as anyone.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,620,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
Is it because many of the vocal atheists were once Christians, so they attack what they know?
That appears to be what's occurring.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:21 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Even if they don't ask? Are you ok with the reverse? Going to someones home or car and hearing about how we believe your beliefs are wrong?
Those who are not asking are not ready to receive. On the same token I'm not going to run around to peoples cars and homes passing out 100 dollar bills either. They didn't ask for the help.

"Ask and you shall receive."

I've told my kids, the choice is up to them. They have the knowledge, but the choice is up to them.

My granddaughter has a children's Bible that I bought for her this last birthday. My daughter she reads it to her and allows my granddaughter to pray at the evening meals and she says a prayer before she goes to bed.

My daughter does this, because I taught her, we all have choices. She continues to teach that which I taught her.

My daughter told me, without that knowledge her daughter can not make that choice.

Christ is not interested in the same things that people label they are interested in. When people figure that out, then they are their way to understanding, people did this, it was their choice.

PS: to believe or to not believe, that is the choice.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,504,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
You know I am sure there are posts that come from atheists that are hateful. But I have more empathy for those who find themselves on the receiving end more then not. I understand what it is like to be disliked just because of who you are, or what you believe.

Christians are in the majority and so their behavior comes across more often then not and it often is not in a positive way. Athiest/agnostics don't attack Judaism here maybe its because how many times have they been told by a Jew they need to become Jewish? How many times have they had Jews knock on their door with religious pamplets? For the most part Jews just want to be left to live our lives and practice our religion in peace.

We don't have a belief we are the only ones saved, or our way is the only way.

As to attacking the Old Testament. The Tanakh is the Hebrew Bible and it is different then the Old Testament.

When they are attacking the Christian Bible or Qur'an it is simply a book and they again have a right to their views.
But not all Christians are in the majority or at least not in the majority everywhere. Being a Catholic in Northwest Arkansas meant occasionally receiving or seeing pamphlets about how we were in some un-American axis. I believe Seventh Day Adventists are less common in this country than Jews and not everyone is fond of SDA.

Specific criticisms or attacks on specific hostile groups I think people get, but generalized attacks on Christianity or Christians I think just encourages people who might have no problem with atheists develop a problem with them. I think partly some of them mean them to be defenses against specific sects, but maybe don't understand that the word "Christian" doesn't translate to "Conservative Evangelical Protestantism." Or at least it doesn't outside of the Deep South.

I get along with atheists pretty fine in general, but atheists who insist their superiority or try to make me think I'm persecuting them by having different political views rankle me. I'm all for their rights. I don't want public school prayer, favor removing unenforced laws that say atheists can't serve in government, and I would likely support allowing Humanist charities to get in on "Faith Based Initiative" funds. I'm just not going to agree that they're intellectually superior or right and I think that's really what ticks a few of them off.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 PM

[quote=actonbell;16177901]Those who are not asking are not ready to receive. On the same token I'm not going to run around to peoples cars and homes passing out 100 dollar bills either. They didn't ask for the help.

Maybe those who are not asking are happy in their beliefs or non beliefs. You see that is the whole issue. We don't need Christianity or Jesus. I won't speak for anyone here but I love where I am and I don't need to be where you are and just because I don't ask doesn't mean I am "not ready to receive".

Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's because Jews don't ram their fantastical beliefs down my throat.

I have a lot of respect for Jews (much more than christians) because at least the strive to follow the teachings instead of McChurch a la carte where weak pathetic people claiming to be christians cherry-pick those parts of the texts that appeal to them and reject the others.

I often went to Hebrew Union University to hear lectures on biblical (Old Testament) issues and also to study in their very nice library (especially since I could walk the several blocks there in just a few minutes).

Jews are constantly examining their texts to seek the Truth, whatever that might be, and they are very open to criticism, so long as the criticism is founded in logic and reason and supported by biblical evidence or parallel evidence from other contemporary cultures or archaeological findings.

Jews and Atheists would have enjoyed a wonderful 4-hour discourse on why Moses never wrote the bible except it was marred by ignorant bone-headed christians thumping the King Joke Vision and frothing at the mouth that because the bible says Moses wrote it (it says no such thing) then Moses wrote it and we're all going to Hell for even questioning it.

So between a Jew who speaks, reads and writes Classical Biblical Hebrew and an ignoramus christian who can barely read, write and speak English, who do you think understands the meaning of the word "torah?"

Jews don't have a problem admitting Yahweh had a female consort, why do christians?
Could be because Paul taught abstinence. I don't know really, just saying. "It is better to do without".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.