Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,854,577 times

Advertisements

The Old Testament lists a plethora of "forbidden" foods, that the children of Israel were not to eat. (there are dozens listed) Even today, some churches and beliefs follow at least some of those rules, such as not eating pork. Do you think we'd be better off to follow those ancient laws pertaining to food, or does it not matter in today's world? I have to wonder if the types of food eaten are a big contributing factor to all the obese and out-of-shape people in the world today. Why would God tell those people not to eat certain foods, if there was not some very good reason for it? I, for one, don't believe God issues such commandments "just because". There had to have been some valid reason behind it all. IE: even if it is not "sinful" to eat just about anything we want, what would happen if we CHOSE to eat only the "good" foods, and not the bad? Do you think there would be some long-term benefit to our bodies? Or no? Should I forget the whole thing, or just try it and see what happens? Has anyone of you already tried it, and noticed any difference you can tell us? You can find PAGES of this stuff by doing a Google search for "forbidden foods Bible".

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,243,553 times
Seventh Day Adventists abide by this, and as a rule they have above average health.
They don't eat pork or shellfish, and many are vegetarians. Of course they don't drink alcohol or smoke. They are much healthier than the average American. So yes, I beleive there is definately value in following the Bible's views on foods. Of course the NT says that there are no forbidden foods.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 PM

41 posts, read 118,117 times
One of my best friends adheres to the Old Testament rules of not eating forbidden foods. This persons whole family adheres to this rule.

I was amazed the first time I met my friends parents, they were in their fiftes and looked 20's.

This past holiday season I had the pleasure of seeing them all again, the parents who are in their 70's don't look a day older than 50 at best.

I was amazed by the skin and complexion of the ladies in the family, and the shape of the men. Most suprisingly, was their lack of chronic and acute illnesses. Some are strict vegetarians, most of the males eat meat as well.

They are Seventh Day adventists, so there may be something to be said about eating OT style.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:12 PM

253 posts, read 639,527 times
I believe that following OT food commandments could make you much healthier. As a mormon, Joseph Smith was given what we call "The Word of Wisdom" and it is a list, mostly of foods and such not to eat. The main theme is "all things in moderation" but it forbids Tobacco, Alchahol, tea and coffee. Since Joseph Smith's time we have found that Tobacco and Alchahol can do considerable damage to your body, still nothing on tea and coffee, but God's rules for food generally seem to be good for us.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,276,024 times
I believe all foods are permissable, but not expedient or useful. God has not changed HIS mind about what is good for human body to eat and be well. However, I do not think we should get into condemnation over the details of food choice. If u eat shell fish, pork, caffine or consume meat and dairy together it does not necessarily mean u r in sin and u are going to hell for it. Now the sin of gluttony is a differnt issue. If u are struggling with gluttony u do need to go before the Lord and repent. God has set before of the course of life and death, blessing and the curse. We are to choose life and blessing..."you reap what you sow" If u make wise and Biblical food choices you will reap the benefit of better heath and a longer life. If u choose to consume a diet high is saturated fat, sugar, sodium and fatty meats ect...u will reap sickness, disease and premature death. I personally feel a lot better mentally and in my physical body when I am eating wise food choices as the Bible has instructed. Thank God HE does not hold it against me if I mess up and have a candy bar and a coke on a rare occasion (not that I am saying anyone should do this) However, when I eat this type of junk I can immediately tell the negative impact it has in and on my body.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,276,024 times
I believe all foods are permissable, but not expedient or useful. God has not changed HIS mind about what is good for human body to eat and be well. However, I do not think we should get into condemnation over the details of food choice. If u eat shell fish, pork, caffine or consume meat and dairy together it does not necessarily mean u r in sin and u are going to hell for it. Now the sin of gluttony is a differnt issue. If u are struggling with gluttony u do need to go before the Lord and repent. God has set before of the course of life and death, blessing and the curse. We are to choose life and blessing..."you reap what you sow" If u make wise and Biblical food choices you will reap the benefit of better heath and a longer life. If u choose to consume a diet high is saturated fat, sugar, sodium and fatty meats ect...u will reap sickness, disease and premature death. I personally feel a lot better mentally and in my physical body when I am eating wise food choices as the Bible has instructed. Thank God HE does not hold it against me if I mess up and have a candy bar and a coke on a rare occasion (not that I am saying anyone should do this) However, when I eat this type of junk I can immediately tell the negative impact it has in and on my body.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,274,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Seventh Day Adventists abide by this, and as a rule they have above average health.
They don't eat pork or shellfish, and many are vegetarians. Of course they don't drink alcohol or smoke. They are much healthier than the average American. So yes, I beleive there is definately value in following the Bible's views on foods. Of course the NT says that there are no forbidden foods.

I was raised SDA and I can confirm what your saying. Some take it a step further and are also vegetarian as well although this is not an official teaching.

According to what I found out in school...the rules about what foods are forbidden are not arbitrary. The unclean foods are animals that have a kind of intestinal track that allows them to absorb more impurities from the food the digest...therefore if you eat pork for instance, you get those impurities in your own body.

While this message comes directly from Leviticus, the prophet Ellen White from the Adventist church also wrote an extensive health message, calling your body the temple of god and so forth.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:49 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,106,114 times
I believe there is a correlation between the OT laws regarding food and good health. Although they did not have the storage capabilities and knowledge of the body we have today, they were probably much healthier than we presently are. If you read closely the laws and regulations God set in place for the Israelites, particularly the rules covering health issues, you can't help but be truly amazed by them.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:52 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,183,270 times
We are stewards of the body God has given us it's import we take care of it the best we can. If you're good and healthy you can do more work for God. There is nothing wrong with avoiding certain foods. In fact, we should avoid certain foods such as chips, candy, cake, sugar, sodas, greasy foods, etc. you get the picture. The thing is it can be good for you and me, but we must not force it upon others when the Bible does not tell us to. So praise God and eat healthy!

Old 07-04-2007, 08:59 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,210,561 times
Ya'll would have to say all these things today-right before all our 4th of July barbecues, etc!

No,seriously I pretty much agree with most of what everyone has said. Personally, I don't eat "kosher" and don't feel that we as Christians are called to do so.
And I don't really hear anyone of you guys saying that either. I agree that there are probably some health benefits there, but I do think that it is important not to get unbalanced over it. Jesus said that it is the unclean things that come out of a man not the things that go in. But again, I don't hear any of you guys saying we must do this from a spiritual standpoint, which I would feel is legalistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality