Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
No one has the right to dictate how I choose to describe my position. How ironic that you want to be called pro-choice.
Yet you are wanting to dictate if a woman has the right to choose what she does AND dictate what we call ourselves, pro abortion is what you say we are not pro choice. So again YOU ARE ANTI-CHOICE.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yet you are wanting to dictate if a woman has the right to choose what she does AND dictate what we call ourselves, pro abortion is what you say we are not pro choice. So again YOU ARE ANTI-CHOICE.
That is all. I'm really not offended by anything you call me. I am laughing right now Very entertaining to watch you guys get your knickers in a twist. I'm anti-murder

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Abortion isn't murder if it's done within the bounds of the law, but I do believe that it is homicide. I don't know when human life begins and I don't think we will know soon if ever. My view is that, since we don't know when life begins, the ethical and humane thing to do is to give the benefit of the doubt to nascent life. I don't think outlawing abortion is the way to go but rather that abortions will be greatly reduced and eventually (and hopefully) eliminated by moral suasion and better education about birth control, availability of same, and by abolishing the practice of subsidizing people on welfare for having kids they can't afford. Abortion in defense of the life and/or health of the mother or to preserve her future reproductive capacity is likely justified on self defense grounds. While the infant resulting from rape or incest is innocent and undeserving of destruction, I would find it difficult to say the least to ask any woman to carry such a baby to term and would think any woman who did so to be beyond heroic.

223 posts, read 268,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Oh, are you one of those people who only knows one definition of a word? Sorry, I'll try to use simple ones from now on that only HAVE one definition. Don't want you to be confused, now.

As far as you being anti-choice, that's the perfect label for you. You are against allowing a woman control over her own body, and in that you are no better than the Chinese government.

What is your stance on in vitro?

Personally I'm pro-life and pro-choice. I don't think the 2 are necessarily in direct opposition with one another.

I believe the woman has the right to choose, and that is absolutely the right, but I still believe that abortion is only morally justifiable in very specific circumstances. The mother having to go through the horror of people seeing her pregnant, telling her parents, putting up with abuse at school, well that's just how it goes. Those are the consequences of having sex, sometimes. None of them are in my mind enough grounds to justify an abortion, whether its murder or otherwise.

None of the above however do I consider to be more important than what the woman can choose to do with her own body. She is the one that has to morally justify her actions to herself and make the choice herself. So while I'd like to see fewer abortions on the basis of my moral objections to the act for all but a very select set of circumstances, I can still respect the right to choose.

And no, this isn't fense sitting. I don't think abortion is a good thing. I don't like the grounds used to justify abortion a lot of the time. I wouldn't do it on that basis and would advise others against it on that basis, but equally it always remains, up to the woman what she does.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Ya pleez doooo yooou know I cint spel Give me a break. When that choice involves the death of the unborn baby I am against that choice. You're pro whatever you want to call it and I'm anti-abortion/pro-life. You're not going to change my mind you're wasting you're time. I'm not the one that gets confused easily.
You can be against it, that's your right, but you have no business telling people what they can or cant do.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:20 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
You can be against it, that's your right, but you have no business telling people what they can or cant do.

and you have no business telling me I can't tell people what they can or can't do.

Quote:
That is all. I'm really not offended by anything you call me. I am laughing right now Very entertaining to watch you guys get your knickers in a twist. I'm anti-murder
I dont see it as such. So calling it murder doesn't affect me.

223 posts, read 268,831 times
Quote:

Nea I agree with you in principle, but this line of thinking does have a barrier. On that basis you could argue that people shoudl be allowed to go around stabbing people that annoy them, or abusing dogs, or killing puppies because they feel like it, or drowning a dog because they don't want to keep it.

Before you go nuts, I know you're not saying any of the above at all. The point I'm making is, that for people that do consider abortion to be murder, they want laws in place to prevent it for the same reasons that laws are in place to prevent any murder, so while your argument is rational, and I see the merit in it, I can also see where it won't apply persuasively to anyone that sees abortion as murder.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
It isn't a question, practically speaking, of anyone telling someone else what they can or can not do, but a matter for individual conscience. This does, however, carry over to the ballot box. Anyone with the right to vote has a say in the matter irrespective of gender, religion, or any other demographic you care to mention.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:24 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
The only outcome I can foresee for this thread now is a padlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality