Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 AM

223 posts, read 268,883 times

Advertisements

OK, this is getting out of hand. Anyone arguing that a morning after pill is an 'abortion' pill is smoking crack out of a rusty can of coke. That's just not medically justifiable. Similarly, anyone against contraception has issues in my view. Sane family planning based on your ability to care for your children in a society is absolutely vital to preserving that society from a purely economic standpoint. (The societal cost of educating children is high, etc.)

We do however seem to have hit on the crux of this issue.

The only justifiable reason to be against a woman's right to choose in an early term abortion would be if you believe that the human being's life begins at conception.

I'm curious, how on earth is that belief justified? Later term abortions, fair enough, but a few cells?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
See that's why I didn't respond. I'm sick of the insults.
A tubal ligation PREVENTS the egg and sperm from ever meeting so in that case there is not going to be a fertilized egg. Its just that the church believes that it destroys the potential for human life to form because the woman may be ovulating at that time and that's why they are against it.
Hormonal birth control pills are supposed to prevent an egg from being released. If the egg is released then it also makes the uterine lining thinner so the egg cannot attach. It also makes the cervical mucus thicker so that the sperm has a harder time swimming up the uterus.They have to be taken everyday at the same time to be effective.
See I'm not as stupid as you guys think am I?
The only 100% effective form of birth control is abstinence. None of the other methods are guaranteed to work 100%.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-15-2010 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-15-2010, 09:41 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
OK, this is getting out of hand. Anyone arguing that a morning after pill is an 'abortion' pill is smoking crack out of a rusty can of coke. That's just not medically justifiable. Similarly, anyone against contraception has issues in my view. Sane family planning based on your ability to care for your children in a society is absolutely vital to preserving that society from a purely economic standpoint. (The societal cost of educating children is high, etc.)

We do however seem to have hit on the crux of this issue.

The only justifiable reason to be against a woman's right to choose in an early term abortion would be if you believe that the human being's life begins at conception.

I'm curious, how on earth is that belief justified? Later term abortions, fair enough, but a few cells?
I agree, it seems as though many just do not want the woman to have any options. We should just have as many as we get pregnant with, even if they are unwanted, or we are unable to care for them, or not physically ready for them. Just plunk them out and deal with it.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
See that's why I didn't respond. All you pro-ab....choice people want to do is insult. A tubal ligation PREVENTS the egg and sperm from ever meeting so in that case there is not going to be a fertilized egg. Its just that the church believes that it destroys the potential for human life to form.
Hormonal birth control pills are supposed to prevent an egg from being released. If the egg is released then it also makes the uterine lining thinner so the egg cannot attach. It also makes the cervical mucus thicker so that the sperm has a harder time swimming up the uterus.They have to be taken everyday at the same time to be effective.
The only 100% effective form of birth control is abstinence. None of the other methods are guaranteed to work 100%.
A fertilized egg is not life, no guarantee it will even attach or form. The Morning after pill prevents pregnancy, which would mean you are not aborting anything, you were never pregnant. You are right that BC doesn't always work, which is why we should have options.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
..... I STILL say what is developing inside the womb is a person...no matter how it "got there"...and should be given all the rights ANY person gets. .....
That would obviously include the fetus created by the father's incest with the 12 year old daughter.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
How can one seperate one holocaust from another? They both represent evil. And when does one kind of evil become acceptable, and the other not? Naturally one does not want to think of themselves as supporting such horror. Yet the reality is, Hitlers final solution is now limited to the unborn. And that is allowed, because we live in a time when people no longer value the most innocent of human life.

Moderator cut: offensive link

I will say this and I will not say another word on the subject. Men, women, children with names, homes and families. Were taken and killed. Vs something forming inside a women. It has potential for life. It is not capable of existence outside the mother. When it is capable of existing outside the mother it ought to be protected.

You insult the memory of every person who was killed by the nazis, Jew and non Jew.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
See that's why I didn't respond. I'm sick of the insults.
A tubal ligation PREVENTS the egg and sperm from ever meeting so in that case there is not going to be a fertilized egg. Its just that the church believes that it destroys the potential for human life to form because the woman may be ovulating at that time and that's why they are against it.
I don't understand why you think it's okay to go against the teachings of your church, and yet you say our choices are wrong.

And here, learn something about how birth control pills work. I've linked an anti-choice site so you won't think I'm loading the dice in my favor:

http://www.prolife.com/BIRTHCNT.html

Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM

because that particular teaching makes no sense to me. Having a tubal ligation means the sperm and egg do not meet. I am not part of the quiverfull movement like the Duggars you know. They don't use any birth control at all. Before the tubal I was so fertile I could have ended up like the Duggar woman.
I don't find it to be morally wrong. I find abortion to be morally wrong ok?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
because that particular teaching makes no sense to me. Having a tubal ligation means the sperm and egg do not meet. I am not part of the quiverfull movement like the Duggars you know. They don't use any birth control at all. Before the tubal I was so fertile I could have ended up like the Duggar woman.
I don't find it to be morally wrong. I find abortion to be morally wrong ok?
You cant abort what was never attached and forming. You are not pregnant until it attaches and starts to form. No guarantee life will even happen. MAP prevents it from attaching, hence no pregnancy. No abortion.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't understand why you think it's okay to go against the teachings of your church, and yet you say our choices are wrong.

And here, learn something about how birth control pills work. I've linked an anti-choice site so you won't think I'm loading the dice in my favor:

Birth Control Pill Causes Abortions -- Pro-Life America, Celebs expose abortion! Celebrities, Speakers, TV, Radio, Videos and Literature to help save moms and babies from the pain and suffering of abortion. Save sex for marriage and choose life, not
It's a good thing I never used birth control pills then isn't it. I opted for the tubal. I don't need to learn anything I already know quite a bit about a lot of things despite what you may believe.
My OB/GYN had discussed the mirena IUD with me before the tubal and I said no for fear that it could cause abortions. He said this wasn't the case probably because medical professional say you are pregnant when the fertilized egg implants. Catholics belief life beigins at fertilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality