Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,653,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Little bit of redneck in there?

nah, little bit of Navy special forces and native American warrior..

I was thinking more along the lines of a dyslexic tank. That would solve a bunch of those problems , all at once.
yeah, it's amazing what the barrel of an M1 A1 Abrams can do when swung around and pointed at you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
The First Amendment protects expression of even the most unpopular ideas. If the government can prohibit the expression of some views, what is to stop the government from censoring others? The Supreme Court has already ruled to limit some speech, including the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous and words “by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace.”

If you look at the issues closely, you can see that it is not really a First Amendment case. Members of the Westboro Church can express their ideas freely in public forums. A funeral is not a public forum.

The church members deliberately planned to cause emotional distress, not to make a rational argument. Their demonstration was to insult the Snyder family and all those who honor military service or who respect a family’s wish to bury a loved one in peace. They wanted to make people angry. Now they should pay the price. The Supreme Court should rule in favor of the Snyder family.

Wrong time and place - Somerset - Daily American (http://www.dailyamerican.com/articles/2010/10/16/opinion/editorials/editorial162.txt - broken link)

Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
It seems that anger, hate and bigotry is all they preach...They spend almost all their time either protesting, or traveling to protests..

The Brooklyn Paper: BIGOTS TARGET MIDWOOD! Westboro Baptists hurl anti-Semitic garbage

Exclaim News: Ozzy Osbourne Raging over Use of

Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
If I were at a funeral mourning the loss of someone close to me, and those morons showed up, "an immediate breach of the peace" would likely ensue. What peace was left after they showed up, that is.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,136,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
If I were at a funeral mourning the loss of someone close to me, and those morons showed up, "an immediate breach of the peace" would likely ensue. What peace was left after they showed up, that is.
I'm with you on that one Catman, sorry but "lack of respect" goes in both directions. Male or female, I don't care, someone is going to get hurt and I'm sure the community will back a person up on the one. All it takes is a few votes on the next election to get a judge off the bench the next time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality