Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Maybe I should rephrase that for you. Cars are not necessary. You have two perfectly good legs. Thus I do not believe in USING cars.
I could see the world as better without cars, what with pollution and accidents, but

1: Not everyone has two perfectly good legs, I don't. (Well actually I mostly think they're fine, I used to write with my feet so I can control them quite well, they're just too weak to walk)

2: Even if one can walk how are you ever going to travel long/longish distances just by walking? I mean what if you're in Kansas City and want to go to Omaha. Are you really going to walk the whole way?

I'd think people need more than walking for some purposes. Maybe we'd be better off if we used trains or buses or something, but I can't see walking as the answer to all things we use cars for.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
No, it's different.

But if you're going to say something, you should be 100% accurate about it...or just admit that you're only guessing.

At least when I guess at something, I'm willing to admit I'm only guessing. I don't claim that it's "science". I could draw to an inside straight, but it's pretty unlikely.
. I am surprised any doctor or scientist provided information claiming certainty and they ended up being wrong.
Very few if any doctors or scientists provide information services without a caveat using words like might, and if and probably

Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
There are anti-tobacco people out there who are CERTAIN that smoking causes lung cancer--beyond a shadow of a doubt--and they cite medical studies.

I point out that there are people that smoked and didn't get cancer, and they won't accept that. Science tells them otherwise, so they go with that.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I could see the world as better without cars, what with pollution and accidents, but

1: Not everyone has two perfectly good legs, I don't. (Well actually I mostly think they're fine, I used to write with my feet so I can control them quite well, they're just too weak to walk)

2: Even if one can walk how are you ever going to travel long/longish distances just by walking? I mean what if you're in Kansas City and want to go to Omaha. Are you really going to walk the whole way?

I'd think people need more than walking for some purposes. Maybe we'd be better off if we used trains or buses or something, but I can't see walking as the answer to all things we use cars for.
I can't see a reason to travel long distances. People should never travel more than five miles from the place of their birth.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,570 times
Quote:
There are anti-tobacco people out there who are CERTAIN that smoking causes lung cancer--beyond a shadow of a doubt--and they cite medical studies.

I point out that there are people that smoked and didn't get cancer, and they won't accept that. Science tells them otherwise, so they go with that.
Because your stories are not empirical evidence, and more importantly, everyone that gets lung cancer doesn't smoke, just as everyone who smokes doesn't get lung cancer. The two are highly intertwined, but not prerequisites of each other. The chances of getting lung-cancer is significantly higher if you smoke than if you don't. Knowing someone who didn't doesn't invalidate the results.

Quote:
I can't see a reason to travel long distances. People should never travel more than five miles from the place of their birth.
This isn't 1762.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM

The fact remains that smoking does NOT absolutely cause lung cancer. The truth of the matter is--again--that they don't know what causes it.

Who cares what year it is, one should know their proper place, and not leave it. Immigration/emigration is unnecessary.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
I've never gotten sick, I think a lot of illness is psychological. It's in your head, you hypochondriacs. You make yourself ill.

And if I were to get cancer somehow, I wouldn't even know I had it. I don't go to doctors. Wouldn't matter anyhow since they will freely tell you that they do NOT know how to cure or prevent it.
Well there ya go. Showing complete lack of knowledge in an area, yet feeling you can spew nonsense about it. Yes you would know something was wrong, it is called signs and symptoms. They cant cure cancer? NO, but they can treat it. My mom no longer has uterine cancer thanks to surgery and chemo, 6 years and no recurrence. Yet the doctors don't know what they are doing, according to you! Saved my dads brother with a bi-pass. Saved my friend from a brain tumor. Yet they dont know what they are doing.

You are basing them not knowing what they are doing on the fact science has not cured everything yet,so science is wrong? That is ignorant and just dumb. Sorry no other polite way to state it.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
The fact remains that smoking does NOT absolutely cause lung cancer. The truth of the matter is--again--that they don't know what causes it.

Who cares what year it is, one should know their proper place, and not leave it. Immigration/emigration is unnecessary.
No it doesn't cause cancer in everyone but it does cause lung cancer. Just because EVERYONE who smokes doesn't get it doesn't mean it doesn't cause it in other cases.It absolutely causes lung cancer.

Exactly how is going to Yosemite national forest and camping immigration? Or Disneyland? or to Hawaii?

You live in a box, if you have never had any experiences out in the world.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM

465 posts, read 528,513 times
Quote:

So when a town like one of those mining towns has their primary source of jobs and industry leave, they should just sit there in the rotting town and starve right? Or are you just trolling here.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well there ya go. Showing complete lack of knowledge in an area, yet feeling you can spew nonsense about it. Yes you would know something was wrong, it is called signs and symptoms. They cant cure cancer? NO, but they can treat it. My mom no longer has uterine cancer thanks to surgery and chemo, 6 years and no recurrence. Yet the doctors don't know what they are doing, according to you! Saved my dads brother with a bi-pass. Saved my friend from a brain tumor. Yet they dont know what they are doing.

You are basing them not knowing what they are doing on the fact science has not cured everything yet,so science is wrong? That is ignorant and just dumb. Sorry no other polite way to state it.
There might be symptoms, but I'm likely to ignore them. If I happen to have chest pains, I don't sweat it. If my knee happens to hurt, I might buy a brace, but I keep on trucking.

Not only has science not cured everything, it doesn't even know where to start? It doesn't know what CAUSES things like cancers or schizophrenia, much less figured out how to cure them. They're just staggering wildly in the dark, just like Fleming was when he "discovered" penicillin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality