Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times

Advertisements

I'm not rewriting the OP... but for Christian's it might be easier to answer if it had been written in a way that strikes a chord.....

"what would hell be like".... or "eternal separation"

because the answer is the same, as it would be from the original post. I struggled with answering as well... but I believe the original question was asked with utter sincerity. However the very nature of the OP suggest discoveries such as " we know with certainty... the last number" or " we now can destroy energy or create it" or "infinite is finite". It's almost a statement of contradiction or an oxymoron.

But.........Christian's often present a similar question ... ''what if God was an absolute certainty" ... so I believe in all fairness this is a legitimate question for an atheist to ask. The fundamental difference is the OP considers a "finite possibility" while believers subscribe to a "infinite certainty" so getting Christian's to move back within the confines of a box is a daunting one indeed.

Hence the reason I answered like I did in my earlier post. Be gentle... atheist people!!

Just trying to help us "believers" along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Once again, your dodging the question.

The question is what would you do if you found out God didn't exist and your still not answering it. Did you read my post at all??
Proof that God doesn't exist wouldn't change my life any more than proof that God exists would. Either way I believe in living, in my definition, a moral life by treating others with respect, helping those less fortunate, and loving my friends and family. None of that changes if there was or wasn't a creator.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:43 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Proof that God doesn't exist wouldn't change my life any more than proof that God exists would. Either way I believe in living, in my definition, a moral life by treating others with respect, helping those less fortunate, and loving my friends and family. None of that changes if there was or wasn't a creator.
I still find it amusing that those of whom I know, the people that are religious more commonly practice a non-religiously moral life than those that aren't religious.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM

54 posts, read 156,869 times
The existence of God cannot be proved or disproved. Confirmation of either would not change my morality. I am currently trying to do the best that I can for other people. The primitive notion of being rewarded or punished by an incomprehensible supreme being for not living to a certain standard is >>>Hmmmmm<<< incomprehensible. For me the purpose of life is to make the world a better place, even if just a little. This is not predicated on whether or not there is a God and whether or not I will be rewarded.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
I have faith that there is a God, but I do not know that there is a God.
I act in faith and not in knowledge, so in that sense it does not matter to me if God does or does not exist. Either God exists and it does not matter if I believe in God (simply because the truth is) or God does not exist at all, but I've tried my hardest to not be a hypocrite by trying to be truthful.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:42 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Yes, I know. Trouble is my middle name. This is actually in response to the question that was posed awhile back asking how we would respond to the obvious return of Jesus so it's just the same thing in reverse. Obviously this wouldn't change my life at all because it's what I already think. But for those of you who do believe, if somehow you were suddenly made aware with absolute certainty that God was not real how would that knowledge change your life?
Fortunately that's impossible so my life would remain the same, I don't just have blind faith, I know that God exists, I've felt his presence, his love, I've seen him in the beauty of a sunset, the magic of a smile, in the highest and purest feelings and thoughts that have manifested in my heart and mind, in all what is kind, in all what is good.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:56 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well, it's easier for me than for some other Christians to stretch in this direction, but still hard to do! For the sake of argument, however, I will go with your question and assume the evidence is undeniable.

I would feel conflicting emotions, to be honest with you. One part of me would be incredibly sad--I would feel that a big hole had just opened up in the universe, and inside myself. On the other hand, I would actually feel some relief that there is no Divine right and wrong, it's all relative...because so many believe in an eternal place of punishment, I would be glad to know that since we have conclusively proved the non-existance of God, that therefore hell doesn't exist in any form either.

Then I think I would be in great fear, because some people have no moral compass at all without a god telling them what is right and wrong. They would probably think that anything goes, and the downward spiral would begin...

I would probably trying to hide out with my family as the world implodes. I would do my best to be a good person, to love my family and fellow man. But, I truly think that this world would end as we know it, eventually at least, simply because too many need the thought of some sort of eternal punishment in order not to go nuts! Sad, but true.
Why is it that you think if others didn't believe in God or knew there was no God they would go out and do harm, but if you found out you wouldn't do harm? Those same "some people" will still be those same people with or without a God, and those same atheists will continue doing what they are doing whether it is good or bad as far as I can tell. I don't live my life around a God, especially not a God of the Bible, but I do believe in not doing harm to others and that has far reaching implications. You can't steal because it will harm someone, you can't lie because of the same reason, etc.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:02 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
If I was truly all-knowing, omniscient and without a doubt knew that there was no life after death, then I would definitely change my outlook on life. I would be much more careful in some of the riskier things I do in life...such as acrobatic flying or search and rescue. I would be much more selfish and self-centered. Since life would be nothing special and it won't matter whether one live's as a Stalin or a Saint, I'd steal, lie and sleep around despite whether I may have a significant other or whether it will harm the other person. Live totally for self; no one holds you accountable! Sacrifice for another person would be stupid. I would not volunteer and help other people. If death stands with open arms at the end of life's trail, then what is the goal of life? Is it all for nothing? Is there no reason for life? And what of the universe? Is it utterly pointless? If its destiny is a cold grave in the recesses of outer space the answer must be , yes—it is pointless.

Personally, for me, I live life to the fullest knowing there's more to come.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 PM

54 posts, read 156,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
If I was truly all-knowing, omniscient and without a doubt knew that there was no life after death, then I would definitely change my outlook on life. I would be much more careful in some of the riskier things I do in life...such as acrobatic flying or search and rescue. I would be much more selfish and self-centered. Since life would be nothing special and it won't matter whether one live's as a Stalin or a Saint, I'd steal, lie and sleep around despite whether I may have a significant other or whether it will harm the other person. Live totally for self; no one holds you accountable! Sacrifice for another person would be stupid. I would not volunteer and help other people. If death stands with open arms at the end of life's trail, then what is the goal of life? Is it all for nothing? Is there no reason for life? And what of the universe? Is it utterly pointless? If its destiny is a cold grave in the recesses of outer space the answer must be , yes—it is pointless.

Personally, for me, I live life to the fullest knowing there's more to come.
So you're saying the only point in being a good and decent person is to be rewarded in the end?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel266 View Post
So you're saying the only point in being a good and decent person is to be rewarded in the end?
If so, how would that not be selfish and self-centered? Is the point of being a decent person because that's who you are, or is it just for the Get Out Of Hell Free card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality