Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Although I tried not to question those beliefs for fear of hell, questioning thoughts would pop into my mind. I could not control every stray thought. I can't tell you how many times I had to get 're-saved' as I was taught that subsequent doubt meant that I had not been saved in the first place.

In short, moving out of state and away from my family helped me lose fear of questioning. Without the constant fear mongering from those around me, I was able to explore new ideas. Fear is a powerful tool and evangelicals know how to use it.

ETA: I posted once about losing my faith. Here is that post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ml#post8592868
wow! I had some of the same thoughts and questions you did.. Like why would G-d pick one group over another? What about all the good people? Heaven and hell? How did you know if you had it right?

I went through periods of believing there was no G-d and got in trouble when I told my 3rd grade teacher I did not believe in G-d....lol

Anyway I guess for me the fact that I grew up in a home that was so open to many beliefs and not just one correct one. My family was open to all the questions I had. So I grew up without any idea of the fear others grew up with.

I went through all different beliefs and non beliefs and finally realized where I was supposed to be.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 10-26-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:58 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
wow! I had some of the same thoughts and questions you did.. Like why would G-d pick one group over another? What about all the good people? Heaven and hell? How did you know if you had it right?

I went through periods of believing there was no G-d and got in trouble when I told my 3rd grade teacher I did not believe in G-d....lol

Anyway I guess for me the fact that I grew up in a home that was so open to many beliefs and not just one correct one. My family was open to all the questions I had. So I grew up without any idea of the fear others grew up with.

I went through all different beliefs and non beliefs and finally realized where I was supposed to be.
I would love to read your story. It's fascinating how so many people have the same questions but arrive at different conclusions. It says something about the uniqueness of individual experiences and perspectives.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I would love to read your story. It's fascinating how so many people have the same questions but arrive at different conclusions. It says something about the uniqueness of individual experiences and perspectives.

I agree. I think with me it was that I was just simply allowed to figure it out and when I had questions they were answered but not as a definite but as possibilities. I don't know why my parents took the road they did because they certainly are Christian. I don't think they have the view all are lost who are not Christian. My upbringing is still a puzzle to me..

Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,291 times
Sure it's possible. One problem: the people who're capable of having a rational discussion about their beliefs usually aren't as vocal as those other folks. You know, those "other folks."

The most vocal are usually the "SINNER REPENT!!!" crowd. You most certainly can't have a rational discussion with that type. They've cherry picked a few verses from their holy book that says "blah, blah, blah" and they're rolling with it to their graves. Who cares if it's contradicted elsewhere. We'll ignore that stuff.

To be fair here, as a deeply non-religious person, it's not always possible to have a rational conversation with my type. I usually give out non-friendly vibes to anyone who tries to discuss their religion with me in real life. I know what the majority of believers down here are like and where the conversation is headed, so I shut the door on it before it even starts.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have come to the conclusion that you spin your wheels when having any kind of discussion with folks who practice a religion that tells them they are right and everyone else is wrong.

How can you? Any discussion has to prove their point or they might have to rethink what they believe.

Yet there are others who are religious and are open to the views of the world. Who don't think they have the only truth and simply live their lives.

I am time after time just puzzled at the sorts of discussions that go on here.

Sometimes I am just numb at the arrogance and vitriol I read that comes from others and stunned that they actually believe what they say.
I think that's amplified here because it's a small group - mostly of regulars - who are pretty entrenched in their positions. They've been through a lot of this with each other already.

Even IRL, though, it can be hard to keep the conversation on comparative religion or a philosophical level. Eventually it gets personal and people end up defending instead of sharing. Personally, I think that's because it all starts sounding so wacky and, like you say, hard to believe. That can't feel very good - that doubt that Maia referred to - so it's easier to turn it around and attack than to be introspective and question your own beliefs.

I also think it's easier to take the 'live and let live' approach if you participate in a religion that doesn't do heaven/hell. As long as you get to do your thing, it doesn't affect you if someone else prays to Jesus or Allah. Christians believe that those who accept JC as their savior go to heaven and those that don't will spend an eternity in hell. So, of course they'll want to be sure you get the memo on that and have a chance to save yourself - it's serious stuff for them.

Now, if you think it's bothersome that people can't stay civil while discussing religion, just think how it must be for us poor non-religious people. We're subjected to religion day in and day out whether we want it or not. It crops up in subtle, overt, and insidious ways everywhere. Followers seem oblivious to the onslaught - it's normal and expected for them. But these little and big things add up and it gets wearing for in-your-face religion to be the norm. I suspect that's partly why some of the non-believers here seem so grumpy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality