Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:29 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times

Advertisements

A few hundred years ago an outspoken agnostic like myself would have been stoned and put to death. Now the only locks the Christian faith has to continue the ancient god worship is brainwashing their infants and small children and their preachers. Thanks to the Internet that won't hold much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 05:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Thanks to the Internet that won't hold much longer.
Yet it still amazes me, in 2010, how many people are not atheist or agnostic. I can see the people of the 15th century worshiping gods but considering how educated the US is today and since the the early 20th century, where virtually every adult has at least a middle school education and can reason fairly objectively, it is amazing people fall for all that stuff.

I think the brainwashing that occurred at a very young age by a person's parents is so strong, it can't be overcome with objective thinking.

However, one thing I can't explain is why some people (like me) rejected the brainwashing at about the age of reason (pre teens I suppose) and others didn't.

I guess it is the same reason some people are fat some people tall some people with brown eyes some people with blond hair etc.

I wonder if acceptance of god is is genetic. Meaning, do atheist breed atheists?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I'd say it is helped by evolved instincts. However, nurture rather than nature breeds atheists, though it won't always kep 'em atheist any more than Biblebreeding (TM no usage with royalties ) will always prevent deconversions.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'd say it is helped by evolved instincts. However, nurture rather than nature breeds atheists, though it won't always kep 'em atheist any more than Biblebreeding (TM no usage with royalties ) will always prevent deconversions.
But is there a common link contemporary adult atheists have? It seems like their upbringings are all over the place: some raised in strict religious households, some in secular households, some in christian countries, some in muslim countries, some in free countries, some in repressed countries.

There are several positive correlations with atheism and IQ, atheism and education level and atheism with income (income probably correlates with education and IQ).

Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I'm not sure we've come such a long way. What we call 'civilization' is only a thin veneer...and the torch-bearing mobs are waiting just beyond it.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
'civilization' is only a thin veneer...
Yes, but it is good enough.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
A few hundred years ago an outspoken agnostic like myself would have been stoned and put to death. Now the only locks the Christian faith has to continue the ancient god worship is brainwashing their infants and small children and their preachers. Thanks to the Internet that won't hold much longer.
Compared to hundreds of years ago? Yes. Are people who don't 'believe' the way organized religion wants them to a larger % of the population now? Probably not, IMO. It's just safer to say it now. Personally, I feel that the legitimization and politicization of extreme religious views makes being a non-follower more of an issue these days than it was when I was younger. And the internet works just as well, maybe better, to re-enforce fear as it does to debunk myths. So, I admire your optimism but don't share it.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Compared to hundreds of years ago? Yes. Are people who don't 'believe' the way organized religion wants them to a larger % of the population now? Probably not, IMO. It's just safer to say it now. Personally, I feel that the legitimization and politicization of extreme religious views makes being a non-follower more of an issue these days than it was when I was younger. And the internet works just as well, maybe better, to re-enforce fear as it does to debunk myths. So, I admire your optimism but don't share it.
Most of what I post is what I read:

ISS - Survey finds Christianity on the decline -- even in the South (http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/03/survey-finds-christianity-on-the-decline----even-in-the-south.html - broken link)

Percent Decline of Non-Catholic Christians, 1990 - 2008

Texas: -20%
South Carolina: -15%
Georgia: -14%
Florida: -13%
North Carolina: -13%
West Virginia: -13%
Kentucky: -13%
Tennessee: -13%
Virginia: -13%
Alabama: -9%
Mississippi: -8%
Arkansas: -6%
Louisiana: +8%

America becoming less Christian, survey finds - CNN.com

(CNN) -- America is a less Christian nation than it was 20 years ago, and Christianity is not losing out to other religions, but primarily to a rejection of religion altogether, a survey published Monday found.

Seventy-five percent of Americans call themselves Christian, according to the American Religious Identification Survey from Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut. In 1990, the figure was 86 percent.
William Donohue, president of the Catholic League said he thinks a radical shift towards individualism over the last quarter-century has a lot to do it.
"The three most dreaded words are thou shalt not," he told Lou Dobbs. "Notice they are not atheists -- they are saying I don't want to be told what to do with my life."
At the same time there has been an increase in the number of people expressing no religious affiliation.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Yes, I've seen similar reports. I don't see that as relevant to either of the points I made, though - maybe I wasn't precise enough in my wording. Here's hoping, though, eh?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Well, 100 years ago if you were a homosexual you would have been taken out and killed too, or placed inside an insane asylum and allowed to die. Even in the 70's we had teachings in our church about how "sick" homosexuals are and that they should not be allowed in our society, rather they should be locked away for goo. (I had a sunday school teacher tell us this in high school)
That or "taken out and shot," which was a phrase that we also heard frequently.
I finally came to a realization of what hateful people these are......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality