Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

Whether atheists are in the minority or not, that does not prove anything. In other countries christians are the minority.

The account of a girl who commits suicide and then writes about her experiences can't be true. She obviously didn't commit suicide. Nobody returns from the dead. There are no half-way points, either one is dead or alive. Any stories such as this can be considered as novels, subject to the whims and imagination of the author, but I would not accept it as fact. It may be a good plot for a christian oriented movie, but not as a matter to philosophize about life.
Heaven may seem like a cheerful place to some, but not to me. Whether cheerful or not, that still doesn't prove that heaven or the afterlife exist. Everything is relative. What one person finds as cheerful, cannot be considered as cheerful for everyone.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The account of a girl who commits suicide and then writes about her experiences can't be true. She obviously didn't commit suicide. Nobody returns from the dead. There are no half-way points, either one is dead or alive. Any stories such as this can be considered as novels, subject to the whims and imagination of the author, but I would not accept it as fact. It may be a good plot for a christian oriented movie, but not as a matter to philosophize about life.
Heaven may seem like a cheerful place to some, but not to me. Whether cheerful or not, that still doesn't prove that heaven or the afterlife exist. Everything is relative. What one person finds as cheerful, cannot be considered as cheerful for everyone.
The soul can and does leave the body while it is still alive... that's why it's called a near death experience.
And tell me, if NDEs are "whim" and "imagination," how is it that many of those who have one can acurately repeat what they've heard while they were not only unconcious, but had a flat EKG and brainwaves at the time? And "whim" and "imigination" certainly can't explain every single NDE... thousands of people have had one.

You're right; what one person finds as cheerful cannot be cheerful for everyone. That's why we do whatever it is we want. Some people want to just sit on the porch on a country home in the afterlife. Other people would not consider that to be cheerful at all. We do what we want on the Other Side.

As I said to Mooseketeer, you will find out what happens when your time comes.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Whether atheists are in the minority or not, that does not prove anything. In other countries christians are the minority.

I wouldn't waste my breath Visvaldis, believe me , it's completely pointless even trying to inculcate any sense of reason or logic in some. I just wasted far too much time on this post... You'll get the same thing all over again, like a broken record. Run now and save yourself whilst you can.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 AM

101 posts, read 218,729 times
Default in·cul·cate

in·cul·cate Pronunciation [in-kuhl-keyt, in-kuhl-keyt]

–verb (used with object), -cat·ed, -cat·ing.

1. to implant by repeated statement or admonition; teach persistently and earnestly (usually fol. by upon or in): to inculcate virtue in the young.

2. to cause or influence (someone) to accept an idea or feeling (usually fol. by with): Socrates inculcated his pupils with the love of truth.

[Origin: 1540–50; < L inculcātus ptp. of inculcāre to trample , impress, stuff in ,

equiv. to in- in-2 + culc- (var., in noninitial position, of calc-, s. of calx heel)

Seemed to me a perfectly lovely word, until I got to that origin!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 AM

Default To Visvaldis

I did not RETURN from the dead, I was BORN from it!

My MOTHER was BORN dead, but--thanks to the grace of God and five minutes of timely hands-on care by an attentive doctor--HERE I AM, still kickin' fourscore years later!

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Mark 10:27
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

If you had the origin I do, you would simply HAVE to BELIEVE that!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1410OC View Post
I did not RETURN from the dead, I was BORN from it!

My MOTHER was BORN dead, but--thanks to the grace of God and five minutes of timely hands-on care by an attentive doctor--HERE I AM, still kickin' fourscore years later!

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Mark 10:27
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

If you had the origin I do, you would simply HAVE to BELIEVE that!
A very interesting story.
But you are wasting your time quoting Bible passages to the non-believers here. They won't believe anything you say or any of your experiences. Which I find quite sad.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 PM

Smile Dear Fleet,

Matthew 13
Mark 4
Luke 8

Matthew 28:18-20

Their reception is NOT MY responsibility.

I am just doing that which IS my responsibility.

John 4

34 "My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.
35 Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.
36 Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together.
37 Thus the saying 'One sows and another reaps' is true.
38 I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor."

Isaiah 55:10-12 (New International Version)

10 As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
12 You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.

1 Corinthians 15:57-8

Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 PM

Good point, 1410OC.

I posted some of what I learned more for those who have faith than those that don't.

Thanks for the quotes you posted.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 PM

Keep on keepin on, Fleet....

Your name brings to mind

2 Timothy 4:6-8 (New International Version)

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.
7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:42 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
We're just a collection of nerves, bones, and tissues ... atoms and cells and molecules. How can an eternal soul come out of all these things that are just going to disintegrate when I die? And why would I have this soul when, say, a rock -- made of the same kind of atoms, cells, and molecules -- doesn't? It's all just wishful thinking. Or fear of annihilation. Or human arrogance. Or something like that.

Hey, I could be wrong, since I've never been dead before! But most likely, what happens when you die is just lights out. And that's it. There's no logical reason to think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality