Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 04:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Fleet wrote:

You're right, it doesn't. Millions of people believe in astrology which can't possibly be true and it can be shown to be false in a number of ways but that doesn't stop the people who believe it. I feel that rational thinking and an open mind are the best tools we have to weed out the false beliefs from those that are factual. That's why I'm an atheist.
As usual , intelligent and logical answer. You are a shining example to us Atheists. Bravo, Bravo,Bravo !

Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, but the reverse is also true.

Exactly. The popularity of a belief, or a lack thereof, means nothing. That's why I go by available evidence, and try to stay away from propositions that are impossible to substantiate.

Which is why I'm neither religious nor a hardcore atheist. Neither stance can be proved, although the atheist stance, given the available evidence, is far more likely. But until a god can be proved or disproved, I'm forced to default to agnostic.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I don't know how that relates to what I've been posting. I've been posting examples of people's experience of the afterlife much more than I've been quoting the Bible.
It relates because people live in a society where they've been conditioned -- usually, in our case, by Bible stories -- to expect certain things to happen when they die. When they think those things happen, they also think the things they were raised to believe have become substantiated.

Last edited by Adrian71; 07-27-2007 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I agree. And believing in an afterlife is very rational to me.

I respect your right to believe in such a thing, but I fail to see how it's in any way rational. Logic argues against it.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:46 AM

Quote:
If you had a NDE, you would most likely feel otherwise.

I'll repeat what I said... many people who have had a NDE are more religious, appreciate life more and know what will happen to them when they "die." But I haven't read one case in which someone had a NDE and said there was nothing beyond mortal life. In other words, the case for the afterlife is far, far more convincing than the case against it.
That is a lot more logical than what you posted!
How is it more logical or convincing to believe that some ghostly version of me will carry on, over the idea that when we die, we just simply die? Again, this is proof that people are conditioned to believe certain propositions upon death, and when they think those things are happening, they also think that's evidence of those propositions. For all we know, the "white light" and seeing dead friends and relatives are merely the actions of a dying brain, making us experience what we WANT to experience, because it brings us comfort in those final moments.

Quote:
I'll also repeat something else I said... the belief of an afterlife, in which you are reunited with family and friends and are pain-free and in perfect health is a lot more cheerful and gives more peace of mind than what you think happens after we die.
Which proves my point about WANTING something to be true versus analyzing whether it's actually very likely to happen. This is exactly the problem with such beliefs. You appear to cling to them because they make you feel better about what happens to you after you die. Not because the belief makes any logical sense, but because this is what you WANT to happen. I think it would be nice to live pain-free and be reunited with my dead friends and relatives, too, but wishing doesn't make it so.

Quote:
So you can stay with your depressing belief, we who have faith will keep our encouraging belief.
I don't find my "belief" depressing at all. In fact, I'm a lot less neurotic since giving up religion. Believing that this life is probably all I have, I'm determined to make the most of it. That doesn't mean doing whatever I want, since a lot of people think nonbelievers are aimless and immoral. Quite the contrary -- it encourages me all the more to make a positive difference in the world in the few years I have on this planet.

I've had variations on this argument dozens of times, and I think it's fairly clear that there's no amount of talking I can do to make you see anything other than what you want to see. I've been down your path -- raised on it, in fact -- and I choose a different one. It's one that you will probably never choose. So I'll simply bow out with two of my favorite quotes as they regard religion:

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so." -- Mark Twain

---

STUDENT: Master, what happens to us when we die?
ZEN MASTER: How should I know?
STUDENT: But you are an enlightened master!
ZEN MASTER: Yes, but I am not a dead one.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
How is it more logical or convincing to believe that some ghostly version of me will carry on, over the idea that when we die, we just simply die? Again, this is proof that people are conditioned to believe certain propositions upon death, and when they think those things are happening, they also think that's evidence of those propositions. For all we know, the "white light" and seeing dead friends and relatives are merely the actions of a dying brain, making us experience what we WANT to experience, because it brings us comfort in those final moments.

Which proves my point about WANTING something to be true versus analyzing whether it's actually very likely to happen. This is exactly the problem with such beliefs. You appear to cling to them because they make you feel better about what happens to you after you die. Not because the belief makes any logical sense, but because this is what you WANT to happen. I think it would be nice to live pain-free and be reunited with my dead friends and relatives, too, but wishing doesn't make it so.

I don't find my "belief" depressing at all. In fact, I'm a lot less neurotic since giving up religion. Believing that this life is probably all I have, I'm determined to make the most of it. That doesn't mean doing whatever I want, since a lot of people think nonbelievers are aimless and immoral. Quite the contrary -- it encourages me all the more to make a positive difference in the world in the few years I have on this planet.

I've had variations on this argument dozens of times, and I think it's fairly clear that there's no amount of talking I can do to make you see anything other than what you want to see. I've been down your path -- raised on it, in fact -- and I choose a different one. It's one that you will probably never choose. So I'll simply bow out with two of my favorite quotes as they regard religion:

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so." -- Mark Twain

---

You are completely wasting your breath with this one, trust me , logic has very little to do with some posters. Been there, done that, got bored and tired, very tired !

Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default Zen koans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post

Yes, yes, yes!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:58 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Being dead and then coming back to life is impossible.
But that idea makes for an interesting story...read "The Fall Of The House Of Usher" by Edgar Allen Poe. He wrote amazing fiction.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Yes, yes, yes!
That's why I love Zen. That little exchange is the most honest spiritual assessment I've ever run across, and I just love it.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You are completely wasting your breath with this one, trust me , logic has very little to do with some posters. Been there, done that, got bored and tired, very tired !
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll definitely expend my energies elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality