U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 PM

42 posts, read 50,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Refer to the bolded part and think about the paradoxical nature of what you're saying. It's absolutely difficult to refrain (even subconsciously and without intent) from using phrases and words to contemplate a complete and utter lack of "anything."

You say we "wouldn't know the difference," but you imply with your statement the possibility that we could know otherwise even in a state of death.

I see what your saying, i kinda meant it as a expression or maybe i just used the wrong phase. I guess what i really meant is, instead of wouldn't know the difference, i really ment "wouldn't know". How do you explain emptiness nothingness, in a way i think it would be the same as imagining you have no senses, eye sight, touch, feel, sense of time ect. i think thats what it would be like.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:21 PM

357 posts, read 552,393 times
all gone to the Atheists heaven, since no one to judge and tell them where to go.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 AM

824 posts, read 510,040 times
Coming from a somewhat different angle:

As to someone asking you what you think happens to you AFTER you die, we all can say with certiitude:
"Those who liked me will remember me. Those who didn't like me will remember me but with less fondness. Those who had mixed feelings about me will remember me with mixed feelings. And when all of them die, then, unless I left my mark in this world or this existence (i.e., becoming famous or known for something and therefore being recorded and memorialized by humanity-at-large for perpetuity), when all those who remembered me die themselves, then nobody will be left to remember me anymore and it will be as though I had never existed in the first place."

In summary, it has been said that "In death, the only existence we have is in the memory of others."

Unless claims of some type or nature of an afterlife are, in fact, true . . . but we all know and should acknowledge (if we are guided by intellectual honesty and integrity) that this notion cannot be epistemologically verified one way or the other. Yet, in contrast, what was said in the above indented paragraph by myself CAN be said, with certitude, to be true.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 AM

121 posts, read 75,759 times
Quote:
I already know what the believer's will say. But, my question is more of a physical one than a metaphysical one. What I want to ask is: When your last breath is taken and your heart stops beating, you are clinically dead. What do you think happens in those last final seconds? Do you think that you realize you are dying? Or, do you think that the world just slowly starts to fade out?

For me, I believe it's something very similar to when you are falling asleep. You kind of know you are falling asleep and then it's like all of a sudden you're asleep. You can't remember those last few seconds before you fell asleep it just happened. I think I'd liken it to that. That is of course, assuming you are lying on a death bed riddled with some disease and not in an accident that kills you on the spot.
It would be difficult to describe it exactly unless you have the NDE yourself. I presume it may be something like falling asleep, but rather more stressful and perhaps more painful as well if you are suffering from an intractable disease. Even if you die from a massive heart attack the process may be quick but you will feel the severe pain before death and it will affect your mind. Perhaps, dying after deep anaesthesia may resemble falling asleep.
When we know that we are dying it will be stressful to some extent especially if you are not prepared for such event. If you are not expecting death and you found yourself dying and there was nobody around, you will start to panic. You will worry about your loved ones, your possessions, etc. things that you will miss when you die. This stress will also affect your mind.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 AM

67 posts, read 34,839 times
Quote:
I already know what the believer's will say. But, my question is more of a physical one than a metaphysical one. What I want to ask is: When your last breath is taken and your heart stops beating, you are clinically dead. What do you think happens in those last final seconds? Do you think that you realize you are dying? Or, do you think that the world just slowly starts to fade out?

For me, I believe it's something very similar to when you are falling asleep. You kind of know you are falling asleep and then it's like all of a sudden you're asleep. You can't remember those last few seconds before you fell asleep it just happened. I think I'd liken it to that. That is of course, assuming you are lying on a death bed riddled with some disease and not in an accident that kills you on the spot.
When I was an atheist I thought you would trip out from all the DMT released in your brain, then your thoughts would disappear, then your body would slowly decay.

Now I believe we have an essentially immortal soul, and a short-lived body.

I think people know when they are dying, that's why so many people have final words, like goodbye world, etc.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 AM

67 posts, read 34,839 times
Did you know I would say that?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 216 times
OK sceintist say they believe there could be other dementions so yeas I believe in god. If there is other dementions there could be a heavan and a hell. I am Christian I believe if you do not believe you will be doomed.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 PM

6,594 posts, read 8,666,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyyyy32 View Post
OK sceintist say they believe there could be other dementions so yeas I believe in god. If there is other dementions there could be a heavan and a hell. I am Christian I believe if you do not believe you will be doomed.
This thread is almost three years old and most of the people never answered my question - they ignored my premises. I was never concerned with any sort of metaphysical "where does 'x' go" sort of thinking. I was more interested in the moments leading up to death such as releases of chemicals in the brain, feelings of euphoria or despair and so on and so forth.

And somehow I get this brilliant response three years later - which has no logical foundation whatsoever. There could be other dimensions, including Heaven and Hell therefore they believe in God. But, not just any god... It has to be the Christian one. Oh, and if you don't believe the same way, then guess what? You're doomed.

That's like saying "Scientists say there could be other primates in our evolutionary lineage that we haven't yet found. If there are other primates there could be a yeti or bigfoot. I'm a cryptozoologist; therefore if you don't believe the same as me you're not accurately accounting for your taxonomic cladistics."

Old 08-17-2012, 12:50 AM

707 posts, read 269,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
My uncle is an atheist and we once were having a conversation on the afterlife, and he said..it doesn't matter what happens at the end because you become worm food.
Physically.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 AM

5,300 posts, read 1,957,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Physically.
What else is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality