Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times

Advertisements

The Old Testament begins with the six days of creation and the Adam and Eve story. Although this legend is portrayed as history, most today regard it as only allegorical.

Curiously though, doctrine/dogma is still based on this story such as "Original Sin." St Paul claims that death entered the world as a result of Adam's sin, a story which might be entertained if one accepts the six days of creation claim.

However, it is now recognized that the earth formed about 4.5 billion years ago. Early life forms appeared around 3.8 billion years ago. Man appeared ony around 2.5 million years ago.

So if death didn't come into the world until Adam sinned, the earth must have been terribly crowded.

Based on the Orignal Sin story, we get the doctrinal need for baptism and even the Immaculate Conception dogma.

All this is presented as historical (these things really happened). Obviously, they did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 06:52 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
QUESTION:

How does your faith's view establish that the Bible had any divine authorship? Is this only held by faith alone?
I admit I'm not sure I can give an easy or sufficient answer to this. However the canon of the Bible is established by the Church and the Church's divine connection extends from Christ, supported by centuries of miracles, clarified/supported by study, etc. I worry that's a bit off though.

However to an extent yeah faith is a big factor.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
It wasn't my best effort, but I'm not saying the Bible or the Church are proof of themselves. I'm more saying they're "proved", not in the sense a math theorem is proved though, by human experiences and study. By study I mean of humanity, life, etc.

I doubt I can "prove" to you revelations happened. More importantly I'm not here to convert anyone to anything so "proving" to you I'm right is not even really my goal. I'm one of the least proselytizing people here or I try to be anyway.

If you don't want to believe in God or Catholicism or what have you then don't. It's not my choice or even my business really.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Many posts seem to be indirectly dealing with this question but don't attack the question headon.

Perhaps we can debate the answer on this thread.

For openers, I'd suggest that the Bible is a collection of folklore.

I'd define folklore as:

"The traditional beliefs, myths, tales, and practices of a people....A popular but often unfounded belief."

In sum, the Bible contains traditional beliefs that may contain some historical truth mixed with myths and tales.
Thank you for bringing this up. I think it's important NOT to think of the Bible in either/or terms (as in it's ALL true or ALL false). Life is never that simple. I lean toward the belief that it has more historical basis than non-believers contend...but I most definitely am not a rigid fundamentalist who believes every single word in the Bible is true.

There was an interesting DVD put out by the History Channel about the story in Exodus and how historical proof of the Exodus is coming to light:

Amazon.com: The Exodus Decoded (History Channel): Uzi Avner, Manfred Bietak, John Bimson, James Cameron, Philip Davies, William G. Dever, Prof. Christos Doumas, David Faiman, Catherine Hickson, James Hoffmeier, Simcha Jacobovici, George Kling, Damir

Old 11-05-2010, 08:30 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
History channel? You mean the one that often has programs on UFOs, the occult, ghosts and such....More than half the stuff on the History channel is just entertainment, and nothing to do with history.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:58 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Many posts seem to be indirectly dealing with this question but don't attack the question headon.

Perhaps we can debate the answer on this thread.

For openers, I'd suggest that the Bible is a collection of folklore.

I'd define folklore as:

"The traditional beliefs, myths, tales, and practices of a people....A popular but often unfounded belief."

In sum, the Bible contains traditional beliefs that may contain some historical truth mixed with myths and tales.

Of course suggesting the Bible has historical truth mixed with myths is easily stated. Yet what do you base your opinion on? Can you prove that such myths are only that?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:16 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Of course suggesting the Bible has historical truth mixed with myths is easily stated. Yet what do you base your opinion on? Can you prove that such myths are only that?
Already been proven. Up to Deuteronomy, it's simply rehashed myths and stories from other cultures.

It isn't a question of reading Job, it's a question of which Job do you want to read, the Hebrew version are the dozens of other versions which predate the Hebrew version by as much as several thousand years?

Likewise for creation, the E.din, Ka'in and Abel, the Fall, the Deluge, the Tower etc are all stories the Hebrews borrowed, abridged and messed up.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Already been proven. Up to Deuteronomy, it's simply rehashed myths and stories from other cultures.

It isn't a question of reading Job, it's a question of which Job do you want to read, the Hebrew version are the dozens of other versions which predate the Hebrew version by as much as several thousand years?

Likewise for creation, the E.din, Ka'in and Abel, the Fall, the Deluge, the Tower etc are all stories the Hebrews borrowed, abridged and messed up.

Of course we all recall the story of that great passenger ship that sailed out into the Atlantic on an April night. A ship considered to be the largest in the world with a weight of around 45,000 tons and a speed of 25 knots. 800 hundred feet in length, and traveling way to fast for conditions and not having enought lifeboats. The ship struck an Iceberg. Sinking her to the bottom of the Atlantic with the loss of most of her officers and crew. Of course, the ships name was the Titan.

The story was a work of fiction which was written by Morgan Robertson in 1898. That was about 14 years before the sinking of the Titanic. Now, do you believe the story of the Titanic was just a myth and a rehash account from the real story written by Morgan Robertson?

The fact is, just because a similar account predates the real account, does not necessary make the second account a myth.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Fascinating. I suppose you wouldn't be so kind as to show where those were derived from? Apart from the Flood and ark (Mesopotamia) I've never seen any suggestion the Biblical stories were borrowed from elsewhere.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Fascinating. I suppose you wouldn't be so kind as to show where those were derived from? Apart from the Flood and ark (Mesopotamia) I've never seen any suggestion the Biblical stories were borrowed from elsewhere.
FYI

"Jewish Mythology. The ancient Israelites were a Semitic people who settled in Canaan. In time, they established the kingdoms of Israel and Judah, where the modern nation of Israel is today. In 722 B.C, the Assyrians gained control of the kingdom of Israel. The Babylonians conquered Judah in 586 B.C, destroying the city of Jerusalem and removing its inhabitants to Babylon for some years. Eventually the people of Judah came to be known as Jews.
Moderator cut: posted article was reduced to comply with copyright rules
Semitic Mythology - Myth Encyclopedia - Greek, god, story, legend, names, ancient, war, world, creation, life, hero, king, people, culture, warrior, strength

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-06-2010 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: TOS calls for a snippet (about two sentences) and a link..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality