U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:15 PM

25,341 posts, read 24,141,953 times

Advertisements

Does this have to be just as pertains to Christianity, MontanaGuy?

Warning: I haven't read through the thread. At all. It's a bear.

I don't know that I have a religion per se and I know this may sound woo but it's something that I've thought about off and on over the years. I am sure it will sound like woo...maybe it is or maybe there is some psychological and/or creative reason for it, but it really struck me.

When I was a young girl I had a dream. I was in blackness but I didn't realize that yet - I realized it later, in retrospect, as compared to light (light in the room). I didn't actually "feel" anything. I was just...sort of neutral. I was conscious in some way but I did not have actual thoughts in actual words, and I had no images. I didn't feel cold or hot, comfortable or uncomfortable...I wasn't bored; I wasn't lacking in some way or looking forward to a future. I didn't have a concept for it (I thought about this later, again in retrospect).

Suddenly I had some sense of movement but I didn't physically feel any movement at all. Rather, it was a sense of something happening for the first time, somehow. And I saw light everywhere. It didn't hurt; I wasn't sad or angry. I didn't suddenly "feel cold" the way people claim a baby must feel upon being born. But I had a STRONG sense of the concept "You're supposed to cry now." I didn't actually hear it and it wasn't words, I just felt the concept.

I had a distinct sense that if I were to obey I'd be accepting something being set into motion. So I did cry and knew somehow how to do that although I hadn't done it before. At that moment, hearing my first sound ever - the sound of my own voice - there was a WHOOSH and I was conscious, I was really "there," I realized that in choosing life (or that's how I'd come to understand it later, with the use of words) I had set something in motion. I had, actually, set everything in motion. "It" had begun.

I awoke in my bed from the dream with my mother shaking me. "JerZ? JerZ, are you all right? Why are you crying?" and I said to her in confusion, "I don't know. I'm not sad."

I may just have been a REALLY creative child. Or a high one! (Just kidding, LOL.) I don't think I'd heard of esoteric stuff like this. I was REALLY little. This was way back when, BTW. Early 70s. My family wasn't really of an esoteric bent and what we had on TV was what we had on TV, usually news, cartoons, The Underwater Kingdom of Jacques Cousteau or whatever that thing was...not a zillion channels exploring a gajilion subjects. There's no way in hell I'd read about it and I doubt I overheard the other 2nd graders on the playground discussing birth memory or the existence of life in soul form before birth. You know?

So for those reasons I take a little stock in it. Just a little.

And if by any chance there's any validity to this besides imagination, I think it WAS in that case a birth memory, and in my case, whatever was "me" wasn't actually in the body until my first cry, outside of my mother. Because I would otherwise have felt things, like the pressure of birth, or the physical pain of light hitting my eyes for the first time, but I didn't.

So if this is about a "soul" entering a "body," if I were to believe anything based on this dream, it would be that the soul hangs around/near (somehow) the infant's body but doesn't enter it until the infant decides to accept being alive (apparently it's a choice; it felt like a choice in my dream, with no judgment), and that can happen at the moment of/immediately after birth, upon the infant's first breath (that's what the first cry is, the first intake of air/breath, and expulsion of it).

ETA: BTW, another interesting thing is that later (I mean later in my childhood), my mother mentioned to me that when I was born, I didn't cry right away. In fact, I was blue. She thought I might not live. But I was revived very quickly and at that point I did cry. I find this information interesting in light of the way my "birth dream" went - I was already in the light (the light in the room) and had to decide whether or not to "cry." After that I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 09:30 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

The thread is 11 years old and Montana Guy hasn't posted since 2013.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

I don't know that I have a religion per se and I know this may sound woo but it's something that I've thought about off and on over the years. I am sure it will sound like woo...maybe it is or maybe there is some psychological and/or creative reason for it, but it really struck me.

When I was a young girl I had a dream. I was in blackness but I didn't realize that yet - I realized it later, in retrospect, as compared to light (light in the room). I didn't actually "feel" anything. I was just...sort of neutral. I was conscious in some way but I did not have actual thoughts in actual words, and I had no images. I didn't feel cold or hot, comfortable or uncomfortable...I wasn't bored; I wasn't lacking in some way or looking forward to a future. I didn't have a concept for it (I thought about this later, again in retrospect).

Suddenly I had some sense of movement but I didn't physically feel any movement at all. Rather, it was a sense of something happening for the first time, somehow. And I saw light everywhere. It didn't hurt; I wasn't sad or angry. I didn't suddenly "feel cold" the way people claim a baby must feel upon being born. But I had a STRONG sense of the concept "You're supposed to cry now." I didn't actually hear it and it wasn't words, I just felt the concept.

I had a distinct sense that if I were to obey I'd be accepting something being set into motion. So I did cry and knew somehow how to do that although I hadn't done it before. At that moment, hearing my first sound ever - the sound of my own voice - there was a WHOOSH and I was conscious, I was really "there," I realized that in choosing life (or that's how I'd come to understand it later, with the use of words) I had set something in motion. I had, actually, set everything in motion. "It" had begun.

I awoke in my bed from the dream with my mother shaking me. "JerZ? JerZ, are you all right? Why are you crying?" and I said to her in confusion, "I don't know. I'm not sad."

I may just have been a REALLY creative child. Or a high one! (Just kidding, LOL.) I don't think I'd heard of esoteric stuff like this. I was REALLY little. This was way back when, BTW. Early 70s. My family wasn't really of an esoteric bent and what we had on TV was what we had on TV, usually news, cartoons, The Underwater Kingdom of Jacques Cousteau or whatever that thing was...not a zillion channels exploring a gajilion subjects. There's no way in hell I'd read about it and I doubt I overheard the other 2nd graders on the playground discussing birth memory or the existence of life in soul form before birth. You know?

So for those reasons I take a little stock in it. Just a little.

And if by any chance there's any validity to this besides imagination, I think it WAS in that case a birth memory, and in my case, whatever was "me" wasn't actually in the body until my first cry, outside of my mother. Because I would otherwise have felt things, like the pressure of birth, or the physical pain of light hitting my eyes for the first time, but I didn't.

So if this is about a "soul" entering a "body," if I were to believe anything based on this dream, it would be that the soul hangs around/near (somehow) the infant's body but doesn't enter it until the infant decides to accept being alive (apparently it's a choice; it felt like a choice in my dream, with no judgment), and that can happen at the moment of/immediately after birth, upon the infant's first breath (that's what the first cry is, the first intake of air/breath, and expulsion of it).

ETA: BTW, another interesting thing is that later (I mean later in my childhood), my mother mentioned to me that when I was born, I didn't cry right away. In fact, I was blue. She thought I might not live. But I was revived very quickly and at that point I did cry. I find this information interesting in light of the way my "birth dream" went - I was already in the light (the light in the room) and had to decide whether or not to "cry." After that I did.
Thank you for this witness, JerZ. I agree with your interpretation. The idea that we become a living soul when it is breathed into us by God AT BIRTH resonates with me and my overall Synthesis. It also eliminates a lot of concerns and speculations about miscarriages and stillborns. YMMV.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:22 AM

2,827 posts, read 1,753,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Ah, yes "The Guff" from "The Seventh Sign". I think that movie skewed many a young person's religious notions
Dude that movie was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63gcR_4tMrI

Old 02-04-2018, 01:16 PM

51,202 posts, read 50,499,962 times
That was fascinating, JerZ. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:16 PM

25,341 posts, read 24,141,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was fascinating, JerZ. Thank you for sharing it.
You're welcome, MQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality