U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:54 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,769,338 times

Advertisements

I don't know when the soul enters, but I know there isn't any life until or chance of a baby until the embryo is implanted into a uterus....so definitely after that happens. I can't imagine all those souls being wasted in labs and early miscarriages, that would be dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:20 PM

265 posts, read 548,257 times
"When Do Test Tube Babies Receive Their Soul?"

it seems to me that an egg is just an egg not much different then a chicken egg when it comes to respect of what it is. however the moment of conception shifts the egg from just being an egg to a life. timing is everything here, because when life happens is what matters. once an egg is fertilized then it's a life with a soul. it's not a cancer and needs to be removed nor should it be treated as such. in fact nowadays with all this sleeping around going on a baby is THE BESTthing you can catch! everything else is obviously deadly or close enough.

we can't measure life by size or else children would then be less human than us grown-ups, or short people would would be. we can't meassure life by whether or not legs and arms are there because then those born without them would not be considered to be a "Life." in fact if we really wanted to know if it was a life and not cancer growing in a womb, then we should just leave it alone, and see what happens. if it's just an egg it will only be that, but if it's a life then that's what it is.

abortions are not performed to remove EGGS, they are perfomed to remove LIFE. a life without a name, yet, but still a life. a persons whoes sex is not known instantly, but will be in just a few months. a defenceless, and venerable person he or she is, but aren't we all to some degree? abortion is nothing more than snatching life-supports from someone who needs it ever soooo much. would we walk into a persons private room, yank out all the cords that bring them oxgen and food, and then walk away popping gum, while telling those in shock, "Oh, it's wasn't a life y'all. move along there's nothing to see here."?

hey this box is so small I gotta go back to the top to see what the questions were again.

oh yeah, conception and the soul are inseperable. since the soul is spiritual it never needs to grow-up, but it does however expresses more outwardly as the body developes the physical abilities that make the soul's will clear and visible.

..........didn't mean to pull a .

Old 02-17-2008, 03:28 PM

6,715 posts, read 11,941,625 times
I'm sorry for sounding so facetious, but this reminds me of that movie I saw a long time ago with John Travolta and Kirstie Alley. I think it was called Look Who's Talking? Anyway, I remember in the very beginning, there were all these sperm swimming through this fleshy looking canal kind of going "Yippee here we go" and then they arrived at the egg where they all kind of tried to get in. One of them finally did and the fertilization process had started.... So with that little visual representation of what happens during the fertilization process.... I'm just not seeing where the soul comes in...

Quite honestly, I think it's strange (to say the very least) that there are people actually in our Senate and Congress debating over whether or not, or even when, a soul enters a human and whether or not it should be legal to have an abortion as a result. It sounds a lot like 17th century New England when people were drowning "witches". The floaters were witches and then executed, the sinkers drowned and were not witches. How counterproductive!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:08 PM

600 posts, read 1,126,063 times
I'm not sure what I believe about this but I'm leaning more towards the idea that an embryo doesn't receive a soul until it's implanted into the mother's womb. It doesn't make sense to me that all of those embryos that are created and then frozen to be used at some later date (many of them are never implanted) would have a soul. Just one of the myriad of questions that we will have to wait till we get to heaven to have an answer for.

This is sort of OT but I had two tubal pregnancies several years ago...even though I was only about three weeks pregnant with each one I have an assurance that each of those "babies" had a soul and that I will meet them someday. What a glorious day that will be!

Psalm 139:13-16

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Deb
"Grace keeps giving me things I don't deserve, mercy keeps witholding things I do."

Old 02-17-2008, 04:23 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,244,006 times
I remember thinking how clever I was when I came up with this question last year. What I was doing of course was pointing out how implausible a soul popping into a body is under any circumstances and this particular scenario is even more far fetched. I realize that the existence of the human soul is a foundation belief for religious people but when you get down to the nuts and bolts of how a soul might actually function and interact with a human body it's truly a bewildering thing to contemplate.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:28 PM

24,640 posts, read 23,769,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Now, should that be spelled a-n-a-l-y-t-i-c-a-l or a-n-i-l-i-t-i-c-a-l? I'm been thinking about it for hours
Might try a dictionary and speed things up.

MTGuy, I think it is very clever, but the responses won't change.
I like questions that make me think.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:32 PM

600 posts, read 1,126,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I remember thinking how clever I was when I came up with this question last year. What I was doing of course was pointing out how implausible a soul popping into a body is under any circumstances and this particular scenario is even more far fetched. I realize that the existence of the human soul is a foundation belief for religious people but when you get down to the nuts and bolts of how a soul might actually function and interact with a human body it's truly a bewildering thing to contemplate.
Yes, it may seem bewildering to an unbeliever, but as a believer I know that there are certain things that we just won't know the answer to while we are here on earth. God's ways are not our ways and I have faith that all will be revealed once we get to heaven.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,281,310 times
I'm an atheist. I don't believe in souls. I do believe in humans though. The fact is that an embryo is a human being whether fertilized in a test tube or not. It's a human being from the moment of conception and there's no getting around that.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM

24,640 posts, read 23,769,803 times
And I think once it can exist on its own without support from either a host body or mechanical hookups.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:08 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,281,310 times
Adults cannot exist without a support system. We need food, air, water, etc. The argument that an embryo isn't a human because it's not self sufficient is a self defeating argument since what's gravy for the goose is gravy for the gander. You can't apply one set of rules for an adult human and another to a an embryo. A human needs an environment. Hold one under water for a few minutes and it's life terminates the same as tossing it out into space. We are all dependent on one support system or another. A three month old baby cannot hunt or farm and is quite helpless. Without a support system, it cannot survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality