Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 AM

24 posts, read 25,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Yes, this is a reasonable conclusion. Now consider this:

What is the logic and/or empirical evidence for:

1) An all-knowing God.
2) Free will.

I would say that the concept of an all-knowing God is logically absurd, and there is absolutely no evidence for it. (Notice I am not talking about all concepts of God - just the concept of an all-knowing God.)

On the other hand, I have already given some fairly good logical reasons to believe in free will (in my previous post), and the empirical evidence supporting the existence of free will is extremely good. In fact, it is hard to imagine how we could have empirical evidence for the existence of any physical object in the world better that is better than the kind of evidence we have for free will. Each and every one of us can have direct, personal experience of the nature of free will, just by paying attention to what it is like for us to make a choice.

Now, of course is it conceivable that free will is just a delusion; the direct evidence that we have for free will is not absolute proof, but I would say that our evidence for free will is better than our evidence for, say, the existence of the moon. And it is way better than any empirical evidence available for the existence of historical figures such as Thomas Jefferson, Aristotle, or Jesus Christ.

So, if given a choice of whether to believe in an all-knowing God, or free will, which would you choose?
If you would like you can check in on the posts i write to other people. I'd copy and paste them into a reply to your questions but it would look a bit weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
You can believe whatever you like, as long as you don't push it on others.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You can believe whatever you like, as long as you don't push it on others.
But just to believe wouldn't be too smart. I need different perspectives on what i believe, since no matter how logical i might think myself to be, I could be wrong. so i am basically trying to see if there was something i was missing .

Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinkowski View Post
Here's what I believe, I believe that there is no free will and that everything that happens is like a chain reaction or like a ripple in the ocean. I also believe in another real, the realm of reality and conscience, which is based on the obvious question, "how do we exist". also to back that up, you have the measurement problem.

I believe in a higher being that has done this, by "this" I mean creating us and everything we know.
I also believe he is nothing like any human, he has no emotion (by that i mean he doesn't get lonely, sad, mad, or LOVE in the way you might think he loves). I'll give that human type of love over to Yeshua.

I believe there is no "hell", "heaven", or any physical things in the afterlife unless we make it so. basically, we won't have any "streets of gold" or "lakes of fire".

so when people say "God will judge us right" or "He will punish the evil" it makes me laugh. if you programmed a robot to shoot a rocket at a couch, would you get mad at that robot and hit it around or take it apart? you wouldn't say, "your a bad robot and you choose to be a bad robot, off the the dumpster!"

so tell me, what is wrong with what i believe?
if you are going to just laugh at me, you had better have some good reason or support for your opinion in why i am wrong.

This thread is not here just to cause chaos, it is here so that i will learn that i am wrong, or to provoke me and force me to learn more things that will help me in the future.
If you want to believe in that then that is your choice. I take it you don't believe in the bible either right?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
If you want to believe in that then that is your choice. I take it you don't believe in the bible either right?
Well, not really. I believe in bits and pieces ,not pieces i want to believe, but pieces that I find logical and cannot deny. all lies begin off a base of truth, no matter how small.
Not that the bible is wrong, just that the men it was written by didn't exactly have the right mind to write them down. Even though we might think God made sure the bible was not messed with, it doesn't mean he gave us the whole picture.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post

By lies i mean things that just don't connect. i know people shouldn't make up their minds just because something doesn't make sense to them.
But it doesn't mean we need to believe everything we hear. for instance, Adam and Eve. I don't want to get into a long big discussion about Adam and Eve but, i just don't think we came from 2 beings in the way the Bible tells it. Like the snake in the garden, or naming all the animals, or APPLES. though it is possible there might have been something like Adam and Eve, I just think some of the things in the Bible aren't true.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
By lies i mean things that just don't connect. i know people shouldn't make up their minds just because something doesn't make sense to them.
But it doesn't mean we need to believe everything we hear. for instance, Adam and Eve. I don't want to get into a long big discussion about Adam and Eve but, i just don't think we came from 2 beings in the way the Bible tells it. Like the snake in the garden, or naming all the animals, or APPLES. though it is possible there might have been something like Adam and Eve, I just think some of the things in the Bible aren't true.
well, that's your choice and you have that right. So, why are you wanting us to proof you are wrong? I guess that doesn't make logical sense to me. If you want to believe that then go ahead, but why ask us to prove you wrong? I guess that doesn't make sense to me. What I believe is what I believe and I'm not going to go to someone AND saw prove me wrong, because it doesn't matter to me what people say or think. That is only my opinion, hope you don't take this as an attack, just saying.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:

This thread is not here just to cause chaos, it is here so that i will learn that i am wrong, or to provoke me and force me to learn more things that will help me in the future.
Boy, I don't know about your wanting to put so much stock on what the posters of this forum (or any forum) have to say. You obviously are not at ease with your own beliefs, and I assume that it's because it strays from the mainstream. You sure you want to invest that kind of trust?

So you don't believe in Free Will. Some people don't. Others believe the world runs completely at random. Others believe that everything is pre-determined. If you have what YOU feel is good basis for your opinion here, what does it really matter what the rest of us think?

And you're certainly not alone in not believing in Heaven or Hell. You obviously believe that life ends here, that this is all there is ~ as many other people out there do. So either you're trolling to get yet another There Is No God thread going, or you're in big need of answers that nobody on here is going to give you, because "proof" isn't going to hit you through the computer screen.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
I have to wonder: Why would beings who have no free will be destined to wonder if they have free will? What is the point of that?

Without free will, love and suffering are both completely meaningless. We are merely programmed to love who we love, and we never actually learn anything from our suffering; we always simply, mechanically carry out our programming. I would say that truly believing in the absence of free will would indicate some sort of brain disorder; a serious cognitive and emotional malfunction.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:26 AM

783 posts, read 815,005 times
We have limited free will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality