Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,129 times

Advertisements

What's important to me is not what heaven looks like or will be like. What's important to me is that God created it for his own and it will be a wonderful place because He created it. I thank Jesus for saving me so that now I can be counted among those who will live in this glorious place. Besides, citizens of heaven will not be as they were here on this earth. We shall be changed. Old things and old ways of thinking will pass away. We shall be enlightened by the full glory of God. We shall see Him as He is. Gold, silver, wealth, those things will have no meaning or value to our consciousness as it does now here on this earth. Quite frankly, it is pointless and a waste of time to try and perceive and analyze what heaven will be like from this earthly point-of-view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It seems very strange to me that the Bible spends so much time discussing the unimportance of wealth and material things but have any of you read Revelations 21 which describes heaven? Here's a portion of it:

Doesn't this description of unimaginable wealth seem to contradict the basic philosophy of the Bible?

I don't believe so. Actually, the basic philosophy of the Bible is for us to build up eternal rewards in heaven, not spend our time building temporary wealth here on earth. Some interpret that to mean that Christians are saying wealth is unimportant. Well, it does have importance if it is in heaven. If it is wealth here on earth, then it is very temporal...we can't take it with us...it's value is fleeting. Hope that helps...

Bud

Old 04-19-2009, 11:38 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I don't believe so. Actually, the basic philosophy of the Bible is for us to build up eternal rewards in heaven, not spend our time building temporary wealth here on earth. Some interpret that to mean that Christians are saying wealth is unimportant. Well, it does have importance if it is in heaven. If it is wealth here on earth, then it is very temporal...we can't take it with us...it's value is fleeting. Hope that helps...

Bud
Then why do almost no Christians live an ascetic life?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Then why do almost no Christians live an ascetic life?
Off hand, I'd say because Jesus was never an ascetic.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

Bud
Back somewhere in the 1990s, the show Dateline did a special on many of the Mega-Church ministers who live anything but a humble simple lifestyle. When asked the question about why they live life in such an outrageous extravagant manner, they got the same answer from every one of them. They said that they had to live that way because the flock expected to see Jesus blessing them.

Funny thing is, Jesus never said that!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes! When I look at the beauty that is here for us to enjoy I get very excited because the beauty of Heaven will be so much greater and to be in the presence of Jesus forever!!!!!!!!!
I'd get annoyed with anyone, being with them "forever". Not to mention, how can he be with everyone if there are billions of people in heaven? What kind of bizzaro - existence would this be?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Off hand, I'd say because Jesus was never an ascetic.
When I said acsetic. What I meant was "non-materialistic", "selflessness" and "spiritual". I did not mean it in the sense of fasting and doing things like this. I meant acsetic, in the sense that they live spiritually, and not materialistically. They help others, instead of just indulging themselves.

Most Christians I know are as materialistic as it gets. Addicted to creature comforts. Living an excessive lifestyle. Never helping out the poor. Obsessed with gaining personal wealth, etc.

They just don't live spiritual lives. They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,132 times
New Jerusalem coming out of heaven. Some would interpret this as the Planet Niburu (planet X) coming near Earth's orbit and the angels are ETs The ancient Sumerians believed in the planet coming back but they didn't view them as angels or ETs. They were gods to them.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascoDoug View Post
Aye, and with heaven being 1500 miles per side.. his rod must be pretty durable
His rod was probably a laser of some sort that could measure.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Back somewhere in the 1990s, the show Dateline did a special on many of the Mega-Church ministers who live anything but a humble simple lifestyle. When asked the question about why they live life in such an outrageous extravagant manner, they got the same answer from every one of them. They said that they had to live that way because the flock expected to see Jesus blessing them.

Funny thing is, Jesus never said that!!!
Good point. Blessings from God comes in many ways. You can be wealthy and not have material things. You can be wealthy in your knowledge of God. I do not have a wealth of material things but I consider myself to be very wealthy because my heavenly father supplies all of my needs. Besides, the word of God states that in heaven, the last(those without much) here on earth shall be first in heaven and the first here shall be last in heaven. So it does not matter how much material wealth you have here or how important you are. God does not reward you for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality