Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times

Advertisements

Why does an animal, human or otherwise have to have a soul, to enter the heavenly kingdom? Is it not possible that God cares so much that "not even a sparrow fall...?" Perhaps He would also like to have some of the animals around. I would not dare say what God would or would not do. I don't claim to be wise enough to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 11:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
That's how I read it in my Bible also, Marks. I fully agree with everything you wrote.
the Pope is correct, like, and if he is to be soon a saint, he was kind, and gave his life to us people here, only to be shot then he did forgive the killer. guess that is bad also, and why even have a blessing on 10-04 for all pets. I do say St Francis what now?

Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Why does an animal, human or otherwise have to have a soul, to enter the heavenly kingdom? Is it not possible that God cares so much that "not even a sparrow fall...?" Perhaps He would also like to have some of the animals around. I would not dare say what God would or would not do. I don't claim to be wise enough to know.
when it was palm sunday and the poor donkey, who did carry Jesus with the adoring crowd? only to end up on the cross, and the animals in the stable on Christmas Day, I sure would invite them into heaven, as he did the good theif.

However, that is me. and what about the lamb and lion being friends.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:35 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Well, the pope is wrong. The RCC is wrong. God is right, and the Bible is right your pets will not be in eternal bliss. When they die they rot in the earth and that's it. Animals DO NOT HAVE A SOUL! that's what separates us from them. We can reason and we have a soul.

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7)

No where does the Bible teach animals have a soul!
I think we need to define our terms first. I've always understood our "soul" to encompass our intellect, emotions, subconscious, will, desires, etc. In that respect, of course animals have a soul. Some certainly more advanced than others, to be sure.

But there is a definite "somethingness" that separates humanity from the animals. We create. We love. We move beyond mere instinct. It is in this respect that we are made in God's image. I've heard some teachers define this as the "spirit" to differentiate it from the soul.

The problem arises in some translations of the Bible that don't seem to differentiate between the two. But they are distinct things. Take this bit:

"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit." (Hebrews 4:12)

Now how could the word of God divide the soul and spirit if they are the same thing?

In regard to animals in heaven, we just don't know. The Bible doesn't offer a view one way or the other. No, Marks, the Bible does not say that there are animals in heaven. But neither does the Bible say there is absolutely not. Plain fact is we just don't know. The Bible doesn't address the issue at all.

We do need to keep in mind that if there are cats in heaven, it can't be Paradise. Therefore, there are no cats in heaven.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
According to my Parish Priest (and probably Catholic Church teachings) animals don't have a soul so they do not go to heaven. I'm sure that Priests are capable of error though. They certainly live on within a person's heart, and another denomination has a town wide St. Francis Day Blessing of the Animals that I've attended. To see the wide variety of pets in church all at the same time was a riot!

What would consititute a pet with a soul from another animal without a soul? It just might get a little crowded there in heaven with all of the potential "cattle" and everything.
love gives soul to people etc., how many people do real love but to their pets.
and charity is the greatest of all. a pet is loved and shows love therefore, it is the greatest of all. God may do, if it makes us happy , why not? like is their a Santa? Yes in the heart, mind, spirt, and soul, and Love, the greatest of all. also us people who are kind to pets, I do think we give them with love part of us? also if there is God the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. By dying on the cross for us, and all, I do say pets have the inner spirit to the Kingdom of heaven.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Absolutely not. What an insult to God to think so.
therfore charity and love, and the the sparrow and the animals that Christmas day that kept the Christ Child warm in a stable, is an insult to the mansions in heaven, and the donkey on Palm Sunday with the adoring crowd,
another insult. Maybe we are all insulted for God to be born in a stable, kept warm by barn animals. Donal Trump, one for you!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Actually the Franciscans teach that animals are included in plans for God's eternal kingdom. I'm not sure if all Catholic's teach that...my priest is nice enough to tell all the little kids that they will see their pets again in heaven...so I'm cool with him.
I love Arch Street in Boston, St Anthony, and Francis. And yes love is the key to pets and Heaven. St. Francis, God Bless him, a Saint, therefore he knows best. the church, has never seen heaven, therefore, as is there a Santa Claus, yes Virginia, do dogs go to heaven, yes. I read this in the st anthony messenger 2003.to each their own belief. someday we will know, if we do have the love trust kindness of living and loving a pet to go to the back gate and meet St Francis, rather than St Peter. Me I just do think, St francis, and the pet gate is for me! He will treat us well, as I treat all God's pets I have loved, and provided for.I just do not see any insult, in St. Francis? or his friendship with God. he after all did become a great Saint. and he loved all animals

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-09-2007 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
OK, as an atheist everyone already knows my opinion on the matter.
I'm just kind of confused about one thing. The way I understand it, people who believe they are going to heaven will live in eternal bliss, peacefulness, and happiness. That's a nice way to think of it but if a soul wanted a dog to keep him blissful, peaceful, and happy in heaven why would that be such a stretch? And another thing, specifically to Marks, how do you tell your kids that when Fido dies he is going to turn into worm food and they will never ever see him again either on earth or in heaven? That sounds a little shallow to me.

On the flip side, if I had kids and they asked me what happens when I die, I would tell them that that is their decision to make when they are older and that there are basically two ways of looking at it (religious or non-religious). I would never tell them that they would be worm food even though that is what I believe because that is their decision to make for themselves not me.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
/.../and what about the lamb and lion being friends.
I don't remember where in the Bible it is being told about the lion and the lamb, sleeping side by side in Heaven, but it is there. Is this just a lie, told to us so we learn to love our enemy, or doesn't this give some kind of indication that animals too go to heaven?

The way I see it, why would He give us all these animals to brighten up our lives and make them better, if he does not mean to let them carry on doing this in what is supposed to be the Best place we can ever imagine? Not to mention, give the wonderful creatures something for their "work"?

Yes, to our knowledge, animals don't have the same kind of consciousness as we do, but is intelligence (as in thinking ahead, "what comes around comes around" and other ways of thinking) the indication of a real soul? There are people being born with so low IQ that they have no possibility to function on their own, not to mention "think ahead" nor make conscious decisions that outdo a lion's.
The beliefe that we are smarter than animals and therefor they have no soul which means they don't go to Heaven, is a human beliefe that is not supported in the Bible. Well, of course, you can find support for everything you want in whatever you read as long as you really want to and are good at twisting words. But there is no need for twisting words in this matter.

And if cats don't go to Heaven, then there's no point for me in trying to do it myself.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
And another thing, specifically to Marks, how do you tell your kids that when Fido dies he is going to turn into worm food and they will never ever see him again either on earth or in heaven? That sounds a little shallow to me.
First, people have children; goats have kids. Second, I did not tell my children such nonsense and lies. Why would anyone want to start their children's lives out on lies? People tell them "fido died" or "passed away"? Passed away? Are you all serious? People are using terms associated with human beings for animals People tell their children about the tooth fairy, easter bunny, santa claus, and a whole host of other lies and foolishness.

"A true witness delivereth souls: but a deceitful witness speaketh lies." (psalm 14:25)

"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." (John 8:44)

"Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds." (Colossians 3:9)

We tell them the truth--the dog, cat, or whatever is dead that's it. The bigger problem is people, especially in America, worship their pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality