Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'll also throw out there that I will be willing to purchase the Geisler book, "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist", for anyone who may not have the resources or ability to get that on their own. Just shoot me a PM and no else will know.
You are one kind soul!!! I agree with Irishmom: very sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
How sweet are you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
You are one kind soul!!! I agree with Irishmom: very sweet!
Thank you both, but nothing I have is mine....it's just been entrusted to me.

And, as a matter of fact, another kind soul has agreed to purchase the God Delusion and send it to me. So there's charity everywhere!

Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Ok, Alpha's going to read the God Delusion too. I'd like to add a comment. Why don't all of us who are going to participate in this book challenge agree up front to talk to each other respectfully and get into the ideas presented in the books instead of allowing any personal remarks to ruin the conversation. I think this could be an interesting and fun thing to do.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:31 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
If the books are the "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" and "The God Delusion", I am in.

How are we gonna do this?

Read one and discuss?
Discuss as we go?
Read both and compare?

Jazzed, you makin these rules? It's your thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Ok, Alpha's going to read the God Delusion too. I'd like to add a comment. Why don't all of us who are going to participate in this book challenge agree up front to talk to each other respectfully and get into the ideas presented in the books instead of allowing any personal remarks to ruin the conversation. I think this could be an interesting and fun thing to do.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Read one and discuss?
Discuss as we go?
Read both and compare?

Jazzed, you makin these rules? It's your thread!
I could contribute some ideas, but for now I'll defer to Jazzed...After all, this was his brainstorm!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Following Jazzed's lead as well

Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
That's too bad, because I do care what an Atheist has to say. That has nothing to do with my love for the Lord.
I said an atheist author,I've read plenty of what Atheist have had to say on this Forum and interested in what slants they had towards God. The Bible is all anyone needs to read, written by a Greater author.

Last edited by noland123; 07-09-2007 at 10:49 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I said an atheist author.The Bible is all anyone needs to read written by a Greater author.

Noland, I thought we weren't going to argue on this board I think the main point of this is because we atheists don't read the Bible as a work written by a God but by mere mortal men. We are agreeing to read the Christian scientific communities' explanations on why science matches up with the Bible. That is specifically why I asked to read a book that doesn't quote the Bible as it's end all be all conclusion. I think what we are looking for is a book that can open up with a chapter such as "Answers about Genesis" and proceed with scientific information to back up the claims the bible makes, not the other way around. Is this making sense?

It'd be like me suggesting someone to read a book and every other sentence said "If you don't like this answer, Darwin said it." It just doesn't do much for the argument especially if you don't trust the supporting documentation

Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,336 times
I have no idea how to do this! Suggestions please! We could read one together and then discuss as we go...or read the opposite one of our belief and discuss. What do ya'll (more Texas practice) think?

I went to the local bookstore tonight. Man, The God Delusion is only in hardback right now so it was $26.00! I waited to get it because well, that's a lot of money...when's the softback coming out? Also, I hadn't checked the computer yet so I wasn't sure if there were enough wanting to participate. Ya'll have been busy over here. And, to answer your question Alpha it is a pretty long book.

Another thing I'd like to do, if you "guys" are cool with it is identify everyone's gender. I am female...but I have no idea which way to address you all...he/she...I'm so confussed!

I'm excited about doing this! I would really like to have the thread be as MontanaGuy suggested: conversations of respect and with information gathering in mind and not personal attacks.

Here's who I have so far:
MontanaGuy
June 7th
gizmo980
alpha8207
gcstroop

Did I miss anyone?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I have no idea how to do this! Suggestions please! We could read one together and then discuss as we go...or read the opposite one of our belief and discuss. What do ya'll (more Texas practice) think?

I went to the local bookstore tonight. Man, The God Delusion is only in hardback right now so it was $26.00! I waited to get it because well, that's a lot of money...when's the softback coming out? Also, I hadn't checked the computer yet so I wasn't sure if there were enough wanting to participate. Ya'll have been busy over here. And, to answer your question Alpha it is a pretty long book.

Another thing I'd like to do, if you "guys" are cool with it is identify everyone's gender. I am female...but I have no idea which way to address you all...he/she...I'm so confussed!

I'm excited about doing this! I would really like to have the thread be as MontanaGuy suggested: conversations of respect and with information gathering in mind and not personal attacks.

Here's who I have so far:
MontanaGuy
June 7th
gizmo980
alpha8207
gcstroop

Did I miss anyone?
Amazon has it for $16ish...or you can get it in soft cover for $10ish in September. If you have prime shipping is free.

Amazon.com: The God Delusion: Books: Richard Dawkins

They also have the other one... Amazon.com: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist: Books: Norman L. Geisler,Frank Turek,David Limbaugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality