U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What "causes" homosexuality?
Biological factors that we are just now beginning to understand. 87 62.59%
Being molested as a child. 3 2.16%
A particularly fabulous strain of the flu! 1 0.72%
Nothing causes it, it is a choice made by the individual. 17 12.23%
An unclean, demonic spirit has possessed or oppressed gays and they need deliverance. 8 5.76%
A combo of 2 or 3 of these options. (Please explain via post) 16 11.51%
None of the above. (Please explain via post) 7 5.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 PM

646 posts, read 1,087,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Persecuting homosexuals for their sexual preference is simply wrong. I see no problem with homosexuality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Ya persecuting homosexuals in wrong but believing it is a sin is one's perogative and right. So many people think that just cause a Christian is against homosexuality and thinks its a sin that they're being unjust??
That gets back to the discussion we had a few weeks ago about what persecution is. Some christians often claim that simply to have their beliefs disagreed with rises to the level of persecution. Others think that separation of church and state is persecution.

I tend to think neither. Say what you want about another group, although some of it can rise to the level of hate speech, with which I am uncomfortable.

But some christians are campaigning against same sex marriage, or against adding sexual orientation to the list of protected groups for things like job protection, housing non-descrimination, etc. Since that does materially affect the GLBT population, I do think that that behavior does rise to the level of persecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,703 posts, read 3,460,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Where in the bible is Jesus quoted as saying homosexuality is wrong?
I don't think he has to outright say it to think it is wrong. There are things that are a sin that he does not specifically mention.

7,765 posts, read 9,376,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I don't try to justify homosexual activity on the basis that god made a person that way. I think that, like everything else in the universe, there are natural explanations for it.

Persecuting homosexuals for their sexual preference is simply wrong. I see no problem with homosexuality.

.....Waiting for alpha to say "WOW"....
hehehe. No, that's not a 'wow post, stretch. I only 'wow' someone when they say something that regardless of their faith views, I still can't believe they've said it.

I think it was either brittZ or urbanlemur who said wayyyy back on another thread that whether or not homosexuality is a choice or not is irrelevant from a religious standpoint and the comment has stuck with me. It was great then and it's great now...the comment I mean, not homosexuality.

In other words, my neighbor may have been born with a desire for young boys, animals, or the tale pipe of my Yukon, that doesn't change the fact that it's something God wouldn't approve of and that we're instructed to stay away from. I may be 'naturally' greedy, lustful, prideful, angry, etc, but all of those things, regardless of how 'naturally' I obtained them, don't give me RELIGIOUS right to practice them. Socially, the world may not have a problem with any of them, but God doesn't change, regardless of how common it may be in society.

All that being said, don't fret stretch, knowing you and your posts, you'll earn a 'Wow' soon enough.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:43 PM

740 posts, read 1,289,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Dreameyes, let's assume that you are totally str8 and have never had any sexual attraction to women. Men naturally catch your eye.

Could you just up and "choose" one day to start digging on chicks? If the answer is no, then why assume that any rational person would just up and choose to be gay one day? Why go against what feels natural to them?
I don't think it starts that way.... Jeff.. I think that it all stems from childhood, before someone is sexually mature. I don't think you could flip a switch and say.... I like the oppisite sex now.. I think you CAN choose whether or not to follow your lust though...

And as for your answer to the strong father question... being strong doesn't means that someone is loving. If a child is looking for love and affection... and gets it from the seemingly gentle, loving homosexual....

Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM

3,490 posts, read 173,493 times
Quote:
Well I did say it was a very hard temptation to resist but I still believe it is a choice just like someone born addicted to heroin makes the choice not to do it instead of just giving in.
Born addicted to heroin? Baby's are not likely to start chasing Lady H! Sorry dreameyes, but not a good example here.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,109,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I said seemingly. I think there is a different viewpoint on this, and here is one.

So I am not a true Christian because I brought up this argument? It's only meaningless to YOU because it doesn't affect you. Typical of most Christians though...they've got the ticket to Heaven, so too bad for those who have issues they can't seem to work out.

But who subjected mankind to this? God created mankind knowing what would happen, as He is all knowing. Therefore, He is ultimately responsible for His creation!

Completely disagree. Homosexuality is different in that it is not a choice. Everyone chooses to go out and party or whatever you deem as sin, but they do not choose to be gay. They are to completely deny the part of them that just wants to love (not friendship-love) another human being?

If a person has homosexual desires because of genes or other factors outside their control, I believe that God is especially forgiving. Since being gay is inherently unnatural because it does not fit with the normal pattern of sexuality for reproductive purposes (that is the main reason why sex organs exist), that is all the more reason why God would be understanding towards the plight of gays -- they were made with unusual inclinations such that they cannot enjoy sexuality in the natural way, so if they wish to have sex at all, they will face a certain degree of social opprobrium.
I believe you are highly misguided.

This makes sense for you because you do not believe in free will - a basic concept of Christianity.

Two things which are totally unrelated.

It isnt what I deem sin. It is what God deems sin, and you agreed with him in another post.

Would you feel the same of a person with pedohpile desires because of genes outside his/her control who molested a child? Should they be denied their right to unnatural love? After all, in your mindset, God made them this way genetically, so why shouldnt they be able to act out the desire?

This all stems from the misguided philosophies of Universalism. We are all on the road to heaven so do as you please, whatever makes you feel good as long as it doesnt hurt anyone else.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
hehehe. No, that's not a 'wow post, stretch. I only 'wow' someone when they say something that regardless of their faith views, I still can't believe they've said it.

All that being said, don't fret stretch, knowing you and your posts, you'll earn a 'Wow' soon enough.
Thanks for your support. If memory serves, I think that I have gotten two wows from you. I am certain that I could easily get a few more, but they might lead too far away from the OP, and I really do not have the time today to monitor too many threads.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,259,729 times
Quote:
I don't think he has to outright say it to think it is wrong. There are things that are a sin that he does not specifically mention.
But doesn't that leave too much open to interpretation by people who have a specific agenda as to what is and what is not sin? This is not directed at you but personally I would rather err on the side of accepting and loving everyone than excluding anyone. That's just me.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Would you feel the same of a person with pedohpile desires because of genes outside his/her control who molested a child? Should they be denied their right to unnatural love? After all, in your mindset, God made them this way genetically, so why shouldnt they be able to act out the desire?
Lets come up with a better analogy. This one is very poor.

Homosexual behavior, between consenting adults, is acceptable. Children are too young to give informed consent, and this is why pedophilia is abhorrent.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 PM

508 posts, read 1,109,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I think it was either brittZ or urbanlemur who said wayyyy back on another thread that whether or not homosexuality is a choice or not is irrelevant from a religious standpoint and the comment has stuck with me. It was great then and it's great now...the comment I mean, not homosexuality.

In other words, my neighbor may have been born with a desire for young boys, animals, or the tale pipe of my Yukon, that doesn't change the fact that it's something God wouldn't approve of and that we're instructed to stay away from. I may be 'naturally' greedy, lustful, prideful, angry, etc, but all of those things, regardless of how 'naturally' I obtained them, don't give me RELIGIOUS right to practice them. Socially, the world may not have a problem with any of them, but God doesn't change, regardless of how common it may be in society.

That was me, and I have managed to express that view yet again and get involved in this stupid argument yet again. I never seem to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality