Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,179,900 times

Advertisements

Were you sitting next to my father during that parade? He is also a pastor, and a republican. He would probably boo the dems just get a rise out of me! (Not that it would matter...I think both parties are screwy right now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,902,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
As someone who is far from Republican as can be, as long as he isn't voicing those views from the pulpit or out of the pulpit as a religious figure, then let him say his piece.

However, I'd be very upset to have someone lead me in worship who supports the acts of the Republican party, particularly this current administration.

Thank goodness my rabbi is a Democrat!
Well said, I agree.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,849,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Pastors are people too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok maybe it was in poor taste, but he is human.
Yep.

If the actions of your pastor greatly affects your faith and your security of your faith, you have elevated your pastor to position he can not even hope to maintain.

Please keep him high enough to speak the truth in love, but low enough to make mistakes.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,179,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yep.

If the actions of your pastor greatly affects your faith and your security of your faith, you have elevated your pastor to position he can not even hope to maintain.

Please keep him high enough to speak the truth in love, but low enough to make mistakes.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Alpha8207 again.

You are one sage individual today Alpha!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:24 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Alpha8207 again.

You are one sage individual today Alpha!
I liked Alpha's post too, especially the last line which is a very balanced approach to how we should view our pastors.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM

264 posts, read 827,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsekret View Post
My family and I went to a parade on the 4th of July. We sat in front of our church along with our Pastor and his family. Our Pastor would comment on the floats going by. "Nice Float." "Go 4-H!" "Good job band!" and would clap. The Republican float went by and he also commented "Go Republicans!"
Awhile later the Democat float went by and he commented "Boo, Democrats."
His 12 year old daughter said to her mother, "Mommy did you hear Daddy boo the Democrats?" her reply was to laugh and say "Yes, Daddy likes to voice his opinion!"
I'm not a strong Republican or Democrat, I'm not overly religious, I do like to watch and listen to ALL views, so I can learn and make decisions that are comfortable for me.
Why did my Pastors comments bother me and offend me? Should we be praying for our political leaders and not boo them? Expecially a Pastor, in public? I looked to him as the example and for guidance, I really liked him before this, now I'm disappointed in him. Should he have known better? Am I making a bigger deal out of his comments than I should?
Maybe I'm having a blond moment and missing the point, but I'm confused too. Was this a political rally or just a parade? It seems from your post that it was just a parade and the pastor was commenting on the quality of the floats.
If thats the case then I would have gone to my pastor and said, "Pastor, why did you boo the Democrats float? Was it ugly or do you just not like Democrats?"
If he answered the former, I would say he has a right to his opinion. Personally, I wouldn't have booed if it was ugly (I don't like hurting ppls feelings) but I wouldnt have cheered either.
If he answered in the latter, then I would feel sorry for him. It's a shame when someone lets their personal views, political or otherwise, become so all-important that they can't see the beauty that someone else can make. I would cheer the Democrat float and save my criticism for a rally, debate, or voting booth.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:47 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,742,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Yep.

Great post, Alpha! Wish I could give you points!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,181,988 times
Alpha, Well said!! Do you feel your head swelling, look at all the attention you are getting!!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 AM

50 posts, read 187,026 times
Thank you all for your comments! Irishmom, at first I thought yes, I would be offended if he would boo the other team. He is a Pastor, he's next to God. Alpha put a smile on my face, you nailed it. I DO put my Pastors on a pedestal. But I always thought they belonged there. I struggle with my faith and look to them to guide me. They are better than me, they have so much knowledge, they know the secret, they don't stuggle with their faith, I want what they have. Some days I feel like I'm flopping like a fish. Pastor being just human is a hard one for me to swallow.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,849,998 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your comments! Irishmom, at first I thought yes, I would be offended if he would boo the other team. He is a Pastor, he's next to God. Alpha put a smile on my face, you nailed it. I DO put my Pastors on a pedestal. But I always thought they belonged there.
They don't, although that's no excuse for them living like the world. They are held to a higher standard by God.

Quote:
I struggle with my faith and look to them to guide me.
They may too. We all do.

Quote:
They are better than me, they have so much knowledge, they know the secret, they don't stuggle with their faith, I want what they have. Some days I feel like I'm flopping like a fish.
They are not better than you, this is a lie from the enemy. If the enemy knows he can tear you down by tearing down your pastor, he will attack him non-stop. We all have those days. Sometimes I wonder if I am even who I claim to be. The devil is a master deceiver. Let's just have grace and mercy for each other!!

Quote:
Pastor being just human is a hard one for me to swallow.
I understand and I have a tenancy to really beat my pastor up I need to do a better job. Thanks for making me realize this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality