Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 AM

257 posts, read 1,080,994 times

Advertisements

I don't have a home church as of yet, so where do I tithe? Is it ok to send my money to a charity? Or does it have to go to a church, or religious organization?

How about places like St.Jude, or World Relief, Red Cross and such! Joel Osteen ministries? Joyce Meyer? TV sponsors such as TCT........Anyone know where it should go?

I mean at some point it is not a tithe but a charitable contribution! So what do I do? Just pick a church and start sending them money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Now I'm no expert on churches and how they work but I always assumed the tithe went to charities anyway. If I am mistaken and it just goes to the church... well I think everyone here knows what's on my mind

Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Anywhere you want to that does good work. Even if you just give it to a neighbor or family member that is down on their luck, it's a tithe if it helps that person get back on their feet. It's just not tax-deductable unless it goes to a non-profit organization.

I would rather give a tithe to a little group that struggling to build a church than one of those mega-churches with dozens of people on their staff.

A tithe is to be the material means of carrying on God's work among the less fortunate. A tithe IS charity. Even when it just goes to help pay the salaries of the people that do the actual work.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:40 AM

23 posts, read 94,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I don't have a home church as of yet, so where do I tithe? Is it ok to send my money to a charity? Or does it have to go to a church, or religious organization?

How about places like St.Jude, or World Relief, Red Cross and such! Joel Osteen ministries? Joyce Meyer? TV sponsors such as TCT........Anyone know where it should go?

I mean at some point it is not a tithe but a charitable contribution! So what do I do? Just pick a church and start sending them money?
Where ever you send your donation, make sure you get a recipt, because you can deduct it from your taxes. Also, let your conciences be your guide as to where to tithe. God will lead you.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I do not count any money that does not go toward furthering the kingdom of God as tithe. Therefore, Red Cross and such would be out as far as tithe.

I do give to mission organizations a lot and to world relief organizations that are Christian.

Many churches will say that 10% has to go to your local church and then anything else is considered offering. I don't agree.....anything that furthers the kingdom is tithe.

Dawn

Old 07-10-2007, 06:58 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post

You give your offerings to your Church first. If you have no home Church you give to where your being feed. You can and should be giving a large amout to missions. Here are two I give to "Mission to Unreached Peoples" and "American Missionary Fellowship." Please, for the love of God, do not even consider giving to the blasphemers of Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, TBN, Benny Hinn, TD Jakes, and the like. These are theifs and heretics.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
When we moved, we saved our tithe money and then gave to the church we ended up calling home when we settled on it. Some continue giving to their old church while they're looking. Your regular tithe needs to go to your church.

I'm going to have to agree with Marks here. I'd never ever ever give money to a TBN or any of the people he mentioned. What they teach is not Biblical Christianity, and I wouldn't support it. :

Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Now I'm no expert on churches and how they work but I always assumed the tithe went to charities anyway. If I am mistaken and it just goes to the church... well I think everyone here knows what's on my mind
Well, churches do have to pay things like rent or mortgage, electric, gas, ect...

My parents are pastors of a church and believe me, they are far from rich. What they do is a beyond a full time job, and their salary is hardly adequate, in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Tithe means a tenth..I never tithed, because most churches preach for at least 10 per cent of all the money you recieve each week or month. Some of them watch very closely what you put into the collection plate. I believe that you should support your church repairs, and the ministers salary, but your tithe to God is not all about money. It is giving of your time, your talents, and whatever the Lord has blessed you with to help the needy, or sick people in your community and outside your community with the best charities who will use your money or talents wisely.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
I think it would be a good idea if you found a good church first. Establish yourself there,lend your talents to the church where you become a part of the body of Christ.Your heart and love for the Lord will lead you to how much you want to tithe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality