Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Of course if the stories of the Bible are just metaphor. Why are they finding evidence that many have been fulfilled literally?
They have been fulfilled? Only in the fundy mind....Who are "they"? Others like yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:17 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Where did you hear this? They no more take dirt in there mouth than you do. They are sampling scents in the air, not dirt...Boy, you stoop to any depths to avoid having to say..."I'm wrong" don't you.

No, I don't stoop to any depths. I just agree with science on this topic, and you don't. From the Forest Preserve District of Cook County (Illinois)
NEWTON Ask A Scientist.

The snake has a forked tongue. Approach him and that tongue flicks in and out very rapidly. It is not a stinger. It is a feeler and also an instrument by which objects are smelled. (IT CARRIES TINY DUST PARTICLES OR BITS OF ANYTHING IT TOUCHES BACK INTO TWO LITTLE CAVITIES IN THE FORWARD PART OF THE ROOF OF THE MOUTH.)

So you see sanspeur, they do take dirt back into their mouth.

Link below

Snakes

Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
According to Genesis 3:14 when God saw that the serpent had deceived Eve in the garden. God stated that the serpent from then on would travel on his belly. I use to tell people that snakes once had legs, and according to the Scriptures walked upright. Of course every non believer thought that was simply a foolish myth from the Bible.

However a recent finding now shows us that yes snakes in the past did have legs. Now science will tell you this is a riddle. Their question will be. "Why do these snake species have hind limbs? If legs were the norm for snake ancestors, it would make sense to see the species advanced anatomy as only superficially similar to more modern snakes. On the other hand, the stubby limbs on the fossil snakes might represent an evolutionary reversal.

The fact that these snake fossils have been found with legs, only confirms the Biblical account. And the belief by science that snakes not having legs today might be an evolutionary reversal. Is only believed, because they have ignored what the God of the Bible already stated.

New Fossil Snake With Legs, Reported In <i>Science</i>

Snakes having legs first stated in the Bible, and now confirmed by science.

I could just as easily say that this find proves that dragons in Asian folklore were real. I also love how you ignore the age of the fossil in the report.
Get a grip Sir.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
So carrying the occasional tiny air-borne dust particle into the mouth on the tongue is classed as "eating dirt" is it??

Oh Campo!! Sanspeur is right...you'll stop at nothing.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I could just as easily say that this find proves that dragons in Asian folklore were real. I also love how you ignore the age of the fossil in the report.
Get a grip Sir.

They aren't real?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Flood stories may in fact be written about and they may talk about the whole world but what was understood as the whole world may not in fact have been in the whole world.

At one time the world was thought to be flat and you could sail off the edge.

Was that correct? No, it was not.

I am not speaking about what people believed in the past in reguards to the size of the world. I am speaking about the world today. And all across the earth today, we are finding the story of a global flood in oral traditions. When the Spanish came to the New World hundreds of years ago, they were shocked when they discovered that tribes of indians knew about the global flood. And many of their details match the Biblical account. And that was before the Bible ever got to the New World. The Spanish of that time thought the devil was trying to confuse them. Yet the reality was the flood was known about. Because the flood really happened, and it's account was recorded by numerous tribes and people of the earth.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
Default The Coelocanth Fables

re: Coelocanths: The "discovered" coelocanth ancestor is simply a member of an ancient order (family) called the Sarcopterygii, not the same species. Like crocs and alligators being related. Wow, huh?

This was clearly identified in the very link you provided, as simply having similar physiological adaptations which clearly shows it's ancestry, but so what as far as you're concerned huh? The depths of your research on any technical topic you flaunt as another irrefutable proof is telling and predictable. You always leave out or disregard the important stuff, or mis-interpret it, you being a scientifically dumb reader.

Note: when the trail goes cold on the ongoing research of an organism's lineage, such as it's apparent disappearance from the geological column or fossil record, that does not mean a later adapted species version of it could not have existed in some deep dark, previously unexplored niche, as was found with this relative.

Not that the ongoing research might not ever uncover a later and related ancestor. So what? What does this "prove" to you again?

Example: The existence of modern elephants does not mean that woolly mammoths didn't go extinct, though a comparison of their skeletal remnants would show remarkable comparisons. So what? Even if we found an exact replica of the older species, so what?

Science is always happy to adapt and improve it's knowledge. Then we publish it and you dutifully mis-interpret and mis-quote it. Even when it's an early initial conservative commentary, you then tell us that "all the world's scientists now agree!" Tripe, certified.

Your conclusion that a recent finding means, de-facto, that the original fish didn't exist in the time determined, or was strictly "modern", is of course vacant any logic, background or evidence. Typical.

Quote:
Why do you keep ignoring the fact that the flood story is found all over the world in oral traditions? You keep saying the Middle East as if that was the only place. You also keep ignoring that the Sumerian Original as you call it, places the ark on a mountain 200 miles south of Mt. Ararat. Yet all Ark sightings to date come from the Biblical location.

However the topic is about snakes once having legs. So I believe we need to say on topic.
Again, you ignore my question: show us the exact non-"oral tradition" link where the contemporaneous, and culturally advanced written culture of China and Japan, mentioned an inundating 180 month Everest-topping flood. A similar cultural documentation from East India, or any other written culture, would also be interesting. BTW, I already did this exercise, and could find nothing in summaries of Chinese or Japanese history that completely bracketed your impossible YEC chronology, preceding it by many millenia. What gives, Tom?

So again, apparently they could operate underwater. a Godly entitlement? Atlantus defined, but one that never saw fresh air, and only existed under water? Gilled (species-adapted) hominids? Wow! You may have something here, Tom! Another new species. I'll claim it as homo sapiens (sub) riflemanii

Quote:
The Hebrew wording of the time was limited. So they used the wording that worked best for them. However that being said, snakes do take dirt into their mouth as a necessary part of survival. Inside the roof of their mouths are two cavities known as Jacobson's organ. As they crawl, they take in dirt with their tongue and put it in this cavity in order to smell their surroundings.
What? your literal bible's wording was "limited" and subject ot interpretation? What's this?

NOTE: your snake physiology discussion is: Biological, physiological hogwash. Coincidental intake of micro dust particles at best, and not necessary for their existence. Obviously.

Your point is an epic fail.

In fact, most snakes do not live in dusty environs. Your fabrications know no bounds, do they? Sanspeur is so right. According to your literalist denialism, they must be living on dirt alone, as their benevolent Creator mandated in the bible. Which we are not to necessarily take literally. Unless you insist we do. Or the situation requires it. Or not.

It's all impossible, as are all your nonsense and imaginary prognostications. And on top of that, we all see them now for what they are. Your wonderous "arguments" are now officially specious and vacuous. BTW, Let me know if I need to provide definitions of words over one syllable.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
They aren't real?

What's next...the Thunderbird? My world is shattered.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
Default But wait! There's More! (Just pay separate shipping & handling!)

Quote:
Of course if the stories of the Bible are just metaphor. Why are they finding evidence that many have been fulfilled literally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80
And why are they finding evidence that most things were not fulfilled literally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
They have been fulfilled? Only in the fundy mind....Who are "they"? Others like yourself?
san, did you not see "Men in Black" when the chief, played by Rip Torn (what a guy!) intoned: "We're the "they", the "them", the "us".

Whenever it suits our hero here, he similarly intones entire groups of scientists as all agreeing, conceding, co-discovering all sorts of ideas that support religion's falsehoods. An "Appeal to the Scholarly Majority" when, truth be known, there's of course no such agreement on the topics he brings up. He just makes it up as he goes, usually on the basis of one grad student's musings, or someone's fabrication from The Creation Institute™! Just like a politician!

After all, let's face it, since Christianity's facts and the very existence of it's Lord & Master is demonstrably all a fantasy, anything that attempts to support it as factual is thus, therefore and obviously: automatically in error. Further simple tests based on rationality, logic and evidence are also all that's required to show Christianity's out-of-date functional foolishness. The bible as a handy spiritual guide? Be my guest, but as a fact book? Not so much.

By now, that part's been well and truly proven, over and over. It simply remains for us to point it out, for our mutual amusement, and C34's ongoing Epic Fail demos.

One wonders what topic he'll predictably do a tiresome re-take on next. Noah's Ark? (BTW, an update on NAMI™ : Their $$$ Central website has now promised a telling expose video by "the end of the year". Which year, I wonder?) The Delk felony? More denials about Acambara, easily disproved about 50 years ago?

Tempus fugit*
, Tom. Better get a good watch; you're running out of time.

*Other related latin: Voluntas erratus ex fossor es futurus specto. Loosely: purposeful lies from fools should be anticipated.

Last edited by rifleman; 11-22-2010 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Useful additions & educational information.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
What's next...the Thunderbird? My world is shattered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality