Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 PM

174 posts, read 539,249 times

Advertisements

I've noticed how many of those who do not believe in a higher power come from what are considered to be "good" families, and are (if you'll excuse the terminology I am using) blessed with a high IQ, often accompanied by great wealth and all the earthly pleasures which can come with it. I wonder what these same people would do if they had an average or lower intelligence, came from a lower income and abusive family, had nothing which made them attractive to a prospective mate, and earned all their money from some minimum wage fast food job?

Some people simply need some reason to go on living.

Then you have people who don't believe in G_D for scientific reasons and more importantly because they realise how crappy and merciless our world, human society, and their lives are. It is those people I am most sympathetic towards.

Last edited by Cthulhu7; 11-26-2010 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 PM

221 posts, read 655,514 times
Rich and affluent people don't need a god.

In tough times people usually want to believe in something better. You need something good to believe to sorta get away.

Soldiers from the danish army have become religious during tours in afghanistan because they have been in danger and close to death.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
Whichever nutter compiled that list

There are a few countries which "run" the world, people, in terms of wealth and economics. Otherwise, this world does not exist.

United States, China, Japan, India, Brazil.

Who cares what happens in Norway, the only time I ever heard about this so called country was when I had to memorize its capital back in Geography class. Well, thanks for letting me know it's somewhere on the map.

This is probably the lamest attempt to find something wrong about religious people.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,504,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
Perhaps the religion provided a foundation for morality and prosperity and now people can claim the moral code even though there is no inherent logical reason to do so without the religion. For ex. it is wrong to murder because God said "Thou shalt not kill". This is now accepted law, but absent Gods command there is no inherent reason to forbid or allow the murder of humans.
I think that's overstating the matter, unless you mean there is no inherent reason for an absolute prohibition on murder. That absent God murder could be justified because the person is "a parasite on the welfare state" or something, but even then I think a reason could be found.

There are some things that are almost universally seen as wrong that I think might be hard to justify without religion. In particular issues of sanctity or purity. This is going by a psychologist who studied conservative and liberal culture, the conservative cultures he studied were mostly religious. I have some problems with his theory, but I'll leave that for later)

For example

If a person is dead, and no one claimed the body, why is it wrong to eat him or her? There is no issue of forcing someone to do something as the person is dead so consent is irrelevant.

Outside my town there is a mass-grave for Indians who died of influenza or smallpox or something. As none of the bodies are clearly identified is it wrong to take the skull of one and use it to make a cup holder? I mean if done right no one will know and the person is dead so they won't care.

An adopted man searches for his biological mother, but instead finds that woman's biological mother. She is a widow, post-menopausal, and he is an unmarried in his 30s. After they get to know each other they become consensual sexual partners. If God or tradition is irrelevant why is this wrong? (There was an actual case like this)

A gay couple has sex on the altar of a conservative church while no one is around. (Also based on an actual incident)

A man has orgasm into a Butterball Turkey and then eats it. Is that wrong, why? (I think any disease will just be diseases already in his body)

A person grabs an ant out of an ant farm and swallows it while it's still alive. Why is that wrong or is it?

Last edited by Thomas R.; 12-11-2010 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM
pth

274 posts, read 457,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
Thats weird because The United States of America is the most powerful Nation that has EVER existed on the planet. (and is predominetly Christian)

Kind of blows your little hippie theory out of the water
i know this is an old post but the USA is not even close to the most powerful nation to ever exist on the planet. and im american.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM

27,995 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Fun with statistics, children...
Hmmm. I'm not a child, so I guess this thread's not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality