U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM

1,433 posts, read 3,466,651 times

Advertisements

I am curious....
For those who are non believers (of any religion, not just Christian) is there an event in your life, a person, an expereince at a religious institution....that made you walk away and never look back?
I grew up in a very non-religious family and sometimes this board gives me a great insight to how and why some of my family members are where they are. Thanks in advance to anyone who shares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,397,088 times
For myself there was no event or influence that caused me to be an atheist. I just don't find the basic foundation beliefs of Christianity or any religion for that matter to be believable.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:32 PM

Thanks MontanaGuy. I really appreciate you and your posts!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 PM

1,151 posts, read 3,060,856 times
For me it was the study of ancient religions and their influence on Christianity.

The most obvious is the story of Osiris, Isis, Horus and Set. The associations of Osiris and Jehovah, Isis as the Mother Mary, Horus as Jesus and Set as the devil are obvious.

Mithraism was also a great influence on Christian mythology.

But Christianity is not the only plagiarized religion. They are many saviors from different religions who were said to have descended from heaven, taken the form of a mortal, and supplied evidence of their divinity by various miracles. Each laid the foundation for salvation, all were worshipped as Gods or sons of Gods, many were said to have been born to virgins, and many were also said to have been crucified.

This for me was a huge red flag.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 PM

219 posts, read 657,565 times
No singular event at all. I grew up in a family which didn't attend services regularly but maintain a generic god-belief. I attend church with friends and other family here and there. I've been to services at Catholic churches, baptist, episcopalian, lutheran, methodist, Church of Christ, Pentacostal, various non-denominational, sat in on (actually waited for a friend) at a mosque, some friends who are Wiccan had this fire circle thing - so I've been exposed and participated in many different aspects of religious ritual and processes. None of the experiences were ever traumatic, bad or anything like that.

Despite what evangelical psychologist Paul Vitz (and his liberal use of outdated Freudian psychoanalysis) thinks, I have a wonderful relationship with my parents who are two of the best people on earth.

My process didn't take the form of some overnight thing or some moment of epiphany which many people think happens - there is no atheist revelation moment really. For most it takes place over a period of time - for me it was several years as I took to comparative religious study and also became enamored with eastern religions and then looked more into Taoism - which is often categorized as a religion but it really doesn't qualify as one.

Eventually I ended up where I am know - a self-described agnostic atheist with Taoistic tendencies.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,374,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
For me it was the study of ancient religions and their influence on Christianity.

The most obvious is the story of Osiris, Isis, Horus and Set. The associations of Osiris and Jehovah, Isis as the Mother Mary, Horus as Jesus and Set as the devil are obvious.

Mithraism was also a great influence on Christian mythology.

But Christianity is not the only plagiarized religion. They are many saviors from different religions who were said to have descended from heaven, taken the form of a mortal, and supplied evidence of their divinity by various miracles. Each laid the foundation for salvation, all were worshipped as Gods or sons of Gods, many were said to have been born to virgins, and many were also said to have been crucified.

This for me was a huge red flag.
Those were all "types and shadows" of the real thing. Sorry, couldn't resist, back to the thread...

Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 PM

Wow, I really appreciate you all sharing. I do see you all have done a lot of research and I respect that. I appreciate your viewpoints!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
To me, the question is akin to asking whether an event or experience was responsible for my disbelief in astrology, tarot cards or ouija boards.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 PM

668 posts, read 496,509 times
I was the opposite. I grew up in a highly educated family (Dad's a scientist), and learned about science as a religion. No one in my family believes in God. I had reincarnation flashbacks as a child, attended many of my friends churches, spent a lot of time in the woods contemplating nature, got baptised (immersed so I'll go to heaven), questioned the preacher about whether Buddhists go to hell. Went to college, attended Catholic church for the free beer and chicks. Studied Eastern philosophies (I don't consider Buddhism a religion, since he claimed to be just a man who points the way),, Taoism and Buddhism I've spent the most time on. But for some reason, Biblical teachings pop in my head in diffcult situations. The bible is full of practical advice. Proverbs is my favorite! I still believe in the scientific view of earths creation, but I agree with the intelligent design theories.

From Buddhism & Science I get reincarnation (Science sees it as energy is everlasting just transformed). The bible is good, but has been translated so many times, the Dutch girl is correct, about the base of the Christian religion. During the Nicene council times (300ish AD when the Churches became legitimate under Roman law, and they tossed out books in the bible that they didn't agree with, and added "stuff" so some of the existing ones) the good book went through a lot of changes. The old testament is the most ancient, and is part of Islam, and Judaism as well. It's less bastardized than the new testament I'm sure.

This is the reverse of what you atheists went thru. Buddhism has no problem with atheism. You have thousands of lifetimes, eventually you'll come around! Buddhists do not point the finger at other religions as a rule of thumb.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 PM

I know, after I re-read it a few minutes ago I was waiting for this. I am not at all a good person with words...I live with my foot in my mouth. I guess I was wondering if an event or a personal relationship had influenced a person's belief one way or another. I posted a similar post asking Believers. I am trying very hard to get a big picture on how people got where they are....if that makes any since at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or