Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It isn't "word games". Words MEAN something, not just whatever you happen to wish them to mean at a given time. Atheism is the absolute certainty that there is no god/God. Agnosticism is for those who don't know one way or the other.
Words mean different thing to different people at different times, no just what you assign their meaning to be.

You continue to make unprovable claims and say they are proven by faith.

In other words, doing exactly what you claim to decry in others that differ from your "faith".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
You're wrong, clear and simple.

To assert that something exists when there is no evidence for that claim requires belief. To reject something that has no evidence requires no belief. If nothing's there, there's no faith needed to assert that point. You don't believe there's no Paul Bunyan. You simply reject any claims that he's real.

That's why religious people are commonly referred to as believers while atheists are frequently called nonbelievers.
To disbelieve, you need evidence that DISPROVES the matter in question. I could neither believe or disbelieve that we had nuclear weapons aboard our ship, because I never saw any sort of evidence to either prove it or disprove it.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Words mean different thing to different people at different times, no just what you assign their meaning to be.

You continue to make unprovable claims and say they are proven by faith.

In other words, doing exactly what you claim to decry in others that differ from your "faith".

Words mean specific things, not what you want them to mean.

Atheism comes from a prefix, a root, and a suffix. The a- means "no", the "the-" refers to god, and the "-ism" is suffix that means belief.

no god belief, or, if you turn it around to it proper syntactical meaning...belief in no god.

By the way, I have NEVER claimed that anything was provable by faith. I challenge you to even FIND that word in any post (of mine) other than this one.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
If I have more knowledge on a subject than you do, how can it be viewed as "ignorant", when you're the one who doesn't even comprehend WHY I believe as I do?
Point of order here.

You claim that you have more knowledge on the subject than others. You actually have no idea how much knowledge others have on this subject, merely faith (worship) of yourself that this is true while it remains unproven.

You also assume only your beliefs to be important and expect others to bow to them. Just because they are yours. Now that is ignorant.

You seem to also assume that others care why you believe as you do. News flash, you are the only one who cares what you think.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Words mean specific things, not what you want them to mean.
I agree. Perhaps you could remind the Bible thumpers of that. It seems to me that every time some problem with what the Bible says is pointed out to them, the first thing they say is..... 'It may say that but that is not what is meant'.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Point of order here.

You claim that you have more knowledge on the subject than others. You actually have no idea how much knowledge others have on this subject, merely faith (worship) of yourself that this is true while it remains unproven.

You also assume only your beliefs to be important and expect others to bow to them. Just because they are yours. Now that is ignorant.

You seem to also assume that others care why you believe as you do. News flash, you are the only one who cares what you think.
Okay, I'll defer on this particular point, just for the sake of argument.

I was actually speaking in much more generalized terms.

If I know more about the German impressionist era than you do, for instance, and refuse to revise my ideas about it based on your input, that should not come as a surprise.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I agree. Perhaps you could remind the Bible thumpers of that. It seems to me that every time some problem with what the Bible says is pointed out to them, the first thing they say is..... 'It may say that but that is not what is meant'.
Did I fail to mention? I've never read it, I never saw the need to do so.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Did I fail to mention? I've never read it, I never saw the need to do so.
Read my post again.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:13 AM

I read your post, but I can't tell the "thumpers" anything, because I never bothered to read their book.

Besides, shouldn't I be tolerant of others' beliefs? If you choose to believe that God doesn't exist, that's perfectly alright with me. I'll treat you like I would any other person I deal with.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I read your post, but I can't tell the "thumpers" anything, because I never bothered to read their book.
OK. Sorry. Misread what you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality