Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,555,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Like being able to predict the weather, or to find the cure for cancer?

Those are still unknowable. Science has also yet to create, from scratch, human life, except by using the biological means already in use.
It took us to the moon and back. That's a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,581,800 times
That reminds me of all the great discoveries we have that were nothing more than mistakes...like vulcanized rubber, for instance.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
No, people just need to learn not to push their beliefs on others, regardless of what those beliefs are. It isn't difficult.
au contraire mon ami...most of the religious believe they have a lock on the passage to heaven and never stop to think about the fact that since primitive mankind first began to make marks on the walls of caves god worship has been thriving. Each generation has totally removed any possibility of real individual feelings being developed by callously indoctrinating the next with their individual belief. As we speak if one includes the south sea islands there are more than 4000 gods. Take the Christian faith and add over 44,000 denominations, conventions, sects, cults, sub cultures etc.

Those who have been purposefully and willfully indoctrinated with subjective information to replace their inherent desire and thirst for knowledge, real factual information...will never realize the true feeling of personal accomplishment because they must give credit to some invisible man in the sky. I believe it's one of the saddest outcomes of mankind's difficult trek through the eons. I believe brainwashing infants and small children with fables and unprovable myths should be considered a form of child abuse and that those who do it should be removed from society by incarceration.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 AM

and again, science has made a lot of mistakes over the years, and things it hasn't been able to explain. Until then, one explanation is as good as another.

I was at another forum, and I broke down and entered the religion forum over there, and told them what I believed. They were surprised that I even HAD any beliefs, since I wasn't constantly harping on them (technically, it's a dating site, why make controversial posts when you are ostensibly trying to connect with someone else?).

I do have my beliefs, but I don't see a need to share them with others out in the REAL world. Here, you're faceless nonentities, you don't really exist to me.

In other words, I don't care if you're atheist, Baptist, Jehovah's Witness, or anything else...as long as you're not out there blathering about your beliefs when I have not asked you to share with me. If I ask, feel free, otherwise leave me the Hell alone.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I broke down and entered the religion forum over there.
Really taxed yourself huh

Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
This absolutely amazes me. Do you think I'm ignorant or just slow?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:55 AM

Since I don't know what you're referring to, I'd have to say I don't know what you mean.

All I know, is that I like to keep to myself, and not talk to other people out in the REAL world. This is completely different.

As I pointed out to you, that forum was connected to a dating site, so it would be inadvisable to say ANYTHING that is controversial...if you ostensibly want to make connections with other people. Because the smallest thing can set people off.

I'm not interested in conservation. My last girlfriend was. I think that there was no need to discuss it, because when we did, she became extremely upset with me.

This is but one example where I'm led to believe that one is better off never discussing controversy with someone in person.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Since I don't know what you're referring to, I'd have to say I don't know what you mean.

All I know, is that I like to keep to myself, and not talk to other people out in the REAL world. This is completely different.

As I pointed out to you, that forum was connected to a dating site, so it would be inadvisable to say ANYTHING that is controversial...if you ostensibly want to make connections with other people. Because the smallest thing can set people off.

I'm not interested in conservation. My last girlfriend was. I think that there was no need to discuss it, because when we did, she became extremely upset with me.

This is but one example where I'm led to believe that one is better off never discussing controversy with someone in person.
If you're more than 20 years old you should have paid closer attention in school. Just my opinion.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 AM

The teachers had nothing to teach me, I was already years past them by the time they got around to anything.

I learned a lot on my own, outside the system. Why let them hold me back when I knew more than they did, and even found myself having to correct them?

By the way, the post you quoted doesn't have a single thing to do with anything taught in the public school system.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,822,485 times
Quote:
I don't seek out other information on it, because it isn't going to change what I think and believe, ........
...which is commonly known as being intransigent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality