Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM

170 posts, read 533,081 times

Advertisements

I always find is amusing when i go to the "religion" forum on various forums how militant atheists are about hating everything religious.

Why do you care that the VAST majority of people on the planet believe in God?

Personally i could care less if people worship Jesus, Allah, birds, frogs, chickens or a rock. Moderator cut: Inappropriate language do i care? thats their right...

Last edited by june 7th; 11-24-2010 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Well I'm not one of those vast majorities of people that believe in your God and I say your God because he is not mine, whether he be the God of Christianity, Islam, or Judaism but my answer is starting to get off topic so I would say it would seem to be the other way around, why do Christians or Muslims care about whether atheists don't believe in any God? If either one of these two religious organizations would quit trying to convert others to their belief either forcibly or by deceit and trickery and let people think for themselves, then I don't think there would be any problems, just worry about yourself and let others worry about themselves.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM

170 posts, read 533,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well I'm not one of those vast majorities of people that believe in your God and I say your God because he is not mine, whether he be the God of Christianity, Islam, or Judaism but my answer is starting to get off topic so I would say it would seem to be the other way around, why do Christians or Muslims care about whether atheists don't believe in any God? If either one of these two religious organizations would quit trying to convert others to their belief either forcibly or by deceit and trickery and let people think for themselves, then I don't think there would be any problems, just worry about yourself and let others worry about themselves.
Um...i dont care if your an atheist. Thats your right.

Nor would i waste my time trying to convert someone to my beliefs, i could care less what happens to you when you die, thats on you.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Because people that believe in the nonsense of religion want that nonsense taught as fact in our schools, they enact laws based on their nonsense, they start wars based on their nonsense, they stage anti-(everything) protests to express their hatred and complete ignorance about anything different than their narrow and distorted view based solely on their nonsense.

I really don't care at all how many fairy tales, fantasies, and utter nonsense you believe, UNTIL you choose to force those views on anyone else, by demanding your fantasy be taught as fact in schools, you strive to enact laws based solely on your hatred of anyone different, and jeopardize the future of all civilization on this planet in the ultimate display of utter stupidity, starting wars over which god is the right one.

Treat your religion like your genitals, out of sight, unmentioned, and forced upon no one. Then as an Atheist I will have no problem at all about your beliefs.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
The main reason I care is that both Christians and Muslims (especially the latter) mix politics with their religions. A theocracy isn't something I wish to live in.

I'm an atheist, but I don't "hate everything religious". Some of the music and architecture are splendid.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:13 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
What exactly is your definition of caring? Do I think some religions such as Christianity are stupid? Yes. Do I care if someone else wants to believe and follow it? No, not as long as they aren't bothering anyone else.

Last edited by achickenchaser; 11-24-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Most atheists are like most christians...they mind their own business.

The only time I dislike atheists or religious types is when they are bashing others because their views are *wrong* or blanket lumping others into a group and then making bigoted statements about them or pushing their (non) religious religious views.

The irony that the vocal atheists are as bad as the aggressive bible pushers is always lost on them.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
What is the point of this thread? Just curious. I always find it curious when people start threads to seemingly put down or bash a group of people. I always wonder why they found it necessary to start the thread in the first place.

I could care less what anyone believes. Do I like to debate people and talk about all of our different beliefs? Yes. As long as there is separation between church and state - people can believe whatever they want to believe.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Default Why do atheists care what people believe?

I think militant atheism is just about as bad as religious fundamentalism, just in the other direction.

But religion and widespread belief in silly things holds back humanity at large and keeps us from achieving our true potential as a species. The cure is education, plain and simple.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most atheists are like most christians...they mind their own business.
But the minority of christians that don't mind their own business is a really large number, and here in the bible belt there are many of them. I'm going to assume you don't live in the bible belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The only time I dislike atheists or religious types is when they are bashing others because their views are *wrong* or blanket lumping others into a group and then making bigoted statements about them or pushing their (non) religious religious views.

The irony that the vocal atheists are as bad as the aggressive bible pushers is always lost on them.
Percentage wise, there is a much high percentage of christians that atheists that are aggressive in pushing their agenda.

I don't care what anyone believes UNTIL they attempt to force it on others. I have no problem at all telling the bible beater trying to convert me to get the hell out of my face and shut up, and have done it.

My problem is when the work to have their fantasy taught as fact in our schools, enacts laws discriminating against others, all hate based by their religion, and the ultimate insanity of fighting wars over which god is the right one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality