Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,649,485 times

Advertisements

Do you generally feel ok with other people believing a religion (or none) that is different from your beliefs?

I'll go first..I don't care what people want to worship as long as it does not infringe on the rights of others and no one is forced to be a specific religion (hence why I am a firm believer in the separation of church and state).

My biggest problems with certain groups (and they can be found in all religions) are the radicals. Not that long ago, I was in the store and this woman came up to me, touched my kids on their heads and started quoting Bible versus and telling me how the Iraq war was ordained by God to help Israel take over the Middle East so Jesus could come back to Earth and that global warming was a good sign of Jesus coming. I looked at her and told her I guess I was out of luck then since I wasn't a Christian. As a non-Christian, I would never go up to a stranger and push my beliefs on them. I have huge issues with radical Muslims. Umm, yeah, you want Sharia law, make your own country, Backwardsistan. I have huge issues with orthodox Jews. Get yourselves out of the illegal settlements already. I have huge issues with ultra religious of every group.

People who want to believe what they want to believe and can separate their ideas from wanting to install rules to force others to believe as they do, those folks I'm ok with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,869,667 times
EMJBULLS,
I am okay with people believeing in other religions or none at all. I believe religion is a very personal matter and that my best way to "preach" is to quietly practice what I believe. I have a difficult time with anyone forcing anything on anyone. That comes from my family, I know. I will always be willing to answer questions if someone asked but I do not believe in trying to push my belief onto someone else. I would have a hard time if someone did that to my child.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

668 posts, read 676,842 times
Agreed, the radicals are a headache. They feel that they are the only people who "tow the line" in their religions. They can't handle disagreements well, and some even blow up ****!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:52 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,127,347 times
No Christian should have any problem whatsoever with anyone of a different religion. (as far as the person not the belief goes)

Old 07-10-2007, 02:55 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,718,409 times
radical people of any faith, including my own, get on my nerves. I think there is an appropriate time to share ones faith, if someone wants to here it, but if they dont and you try anyway, loudly and obnoxsiouly, youve hurt more than youve helped....IMHO

But to the OP..I dont have a prob with any body elses religion or lack thereof, as long as they let me do whatever I want too.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,207,167 times
Default Short answer:

I am absolutely fascinated by other religions.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:06 PM

22,996 posts, read 34,256,841 times
I respect everyone's right to believe or not believe as the choose.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,176,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
No Christian should have any problem whatsoever with anyone of a different religion. (as far as the person not the belief goes)
If eternal, torturous hell is real, shouldn't we all have a major problem with other religions, as they are the "wide way of destruction"?

Of course, you all know what I think on the subject.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:54 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,789,034 times
I'm afraid to post my answer because I will get slammed again. But here goes, I think as long as you are living a good life you have no worries. I also think you should share your beliefs in a respectful and caring way that does not alienate people or their own personal beliefs.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:00 PM

49 posts, read 159,069 times
I believe as long as you are not hurting anyone you should be able to believe what you want. I am a Wiccan and I have a Christian pastor as a friend and he is constantly trying to shove his religion down my throat. He even gives me books to read. That is my main problem and also the radicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality