Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:43 PM

280 posts, read 603,509 times

Advertisements

Quite simply, while not striving, not struggling, and not opposing, the purpose of life for me is to have no regrets left at the end.

Not minding that there are no marks left behind...not worrying about any future tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,289 times
No, although I am an existentialist and view the meaning of life to be subjective.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:00 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,163,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Lately I have been thinking it's just too hard. Too much worry. Too much stress. The end result is the same anyway-death.
I've read a lot of books about life after death.
If things are so grand,glorious,worry free and beautiful on the other side; then why are we here?
Is this life pergatory?
Just because you can put it in a sentence, it doesn't mean it makes sense.

What is the meaning of a mountain?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:29 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,752 times
Quote:
Lately I have been thinking it's just too hard. Too much worry. Too much stress. The end result is the same anyway-death.
If things are so grand,glorious,worry free and beautiful on the other side; then why are we here?
Is this life pergatory?
Many think Psa. 23 is a psalm of death, but it's actually a psalm about this life and give the believer much comfort, peace and protection, and hope for the future...

Psa. 23:1 ¶ A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in *green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

lie down means to be at peace and green pastures are the choice pastures. Believers will not wander around in the 'wilderness,' and still waters means waters of 'rest,' or Jehovah-Shalom.

3 He restoreth my *soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his *name’s sake.

He gives our soul eternal life and righteousness has to do with resurrection. If you're a believer, you carry His Name.

4 Yea, though I walk through the *valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy *rod and thy staff they comfort me.

*valley of the shadow of death is a Hebrew idiom for this life. We are born and some day we will die. That 'shadow' of death is over us every day, but we have no fear of dying for we know the One who is LIFE, and we fear no evil because we have His Holy Spirit, and His promises of eternal life.

*rod and staff. The rod is what the Shepherd uses to protect the sheep from their ememies. The staff also is used to keep the sheep safe. We, as His sheep get comfort from His Word.

5 Thou preparest a *table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

*a table, God sets us at His table and feeds us with the Word so we do not starve. Especially in these end times when there is a lack of the Word of God. See Amos 8:11

oil, just as a shepherd anoints the sheeps head will oil, He anoints our minds with the oil of the truth of the Word.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the *house of the LORD for ever.

*house means family.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:56 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I don't worry myself too much about such things. There's no evidence there is another side or is there any for a God, so make the most of the one life you have. There's no sense in wasting your time worrying over nonsense.
I used to think there was no evidence for the longest time, but there is. A person CAN know for sure. Actually, many people have died and come back to life...more than what people realize. Do a google under 'Val Thomas' for instance. She was totally flat-lined for 17 hours while in the hospital . If you care to investigate the Christian Faith for its credibility, the best source is : www.impactapologetics.com . There you will find all the modern scientific evidence for the God of the Bible , Jesus, the Afterlife, Absolute Moral Laws, the New Testament, etc... It really depends on how far you want to investigate...but the evidence for a personal Theistic Creator is all around us and in every Modern Science. I wish you well in life.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:27 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Is this life pergatory?
There is no sweeping universal meaning of life. We're born, and we die. It's what happens in between those two things that gives the life any meaning. For me, I am here to live the best life I can. If I do that, and leave behind people who will miss me, I've done a good job.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There is no sweeping universal meaning of life. We're born, and we die. It's what happens in between those two things that gives the life any meaning. For me, I am here to live the best life I can. If I do that, and leave behind people who will miss me, I've done a good job.
How come when you look at how remarkably fine tuned the cosmos has to be out of hundreds of billion other planets so we can have THIS planet to live on, when you read on your Human Anatomy having some 60 major systems and hundreds other sub systems...all working collaboratively and in balance so you can enjoy life, when you consider your DNA which makes you special and independent out of some 6 billion other people on earth, when you examine all the marvelous wonders here on earth along with incredible beauty , and many more examples of sheer amazement.....you choose to take all of it for granted that it is here (when it doesnt have to be here) ... and that there is no ultimate purpose and meaning to your life ? I suppose your view might be accurate IF it all happened by chance by natural causes , but, do the things i mentioned above appear to be just thrown together haphazardly or does it represent some order and design, as if it was intentional ? What is a BETTER conclusion to assert when you consider the design and engineering of the things ive stated above setting aside any personal philosophical preference ? Can you think of one ? Just one ? And....how do you think THAT might play into our ultimate purpose to our lives ?

Last edited by RVlover; 09-26-2009 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-26-2009, 04:27 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
How come when you look at how remarkably fine tuned the cosmos has to be out of hundreds of billion other planets so we can have THIS planet to live on, when you read on your Human Anatomy having some 60 major systems and hundreds other sub systems...all working collaboratively and in balance so you can enjoy life, when you consider your DNA which makes you special and independent out of some 6 billion other people on earth, when you examine all the marvelous wonders here on earth along with incredible beauty , and many more examples of sheer amazement.....you choose to take all of it for granted that it is here (when it doesnt have to be here) ... and that there is no ultimate purpose and meaning to your life ? I suppose your view might be accurate IF it all happened by chance by natural causes , but, do the things i mentioned above appear to be just thrown together haphazardly or does it represent some order and design, as if it was intentional ? What is a BETTER conclusion to assert when you consider the design and engineering of the things ive stated above setting aside any personal philosophical preference ? Can you think of one ? Just one ? And....how do you think THAT might play into our ultimate purpose to our lives ?

*yawn* Not this crap again? You know very well that I'm an atheist and I don't believe in supreme beings or gods or any kind of all-powerful universal being watching over us from the sky and smiting us when we are bad. Those fallacies are for people like you who are too frightened and weak to deal with the fact that this life is all we get.

Life has NO ULTIMATE MEANING unless the person living it makes one. We are the pilots of our own destiny, and responsible to ourselves and other humans to be the best we can be. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I'm a good person because *I* decide to be, not because I fear any reprisal after death or because some mouldy old book of fairy tales threatens me with hellfire or tells me what to do. So run off back to your book of fairy tales and hide there, while the rest of us face life head on and think for ourselves.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
*yawn* Not this crap again? You know very well that I'm an atheist and I don't believe in supreme beings or gods or any kind of all-powerful universal being watching over us from the sky and smiting us when we are bad. Those fallacies are for people like you who are too frightened and weak to deal with the fact that this life is all we get.

Life has NO ULTIMATE MEANING unless the person living it makes one. We are the pilots of our own destiny, and responsible to ourselves and other humans to be the best we can be. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I'm a good person because *I* decide to be, not because I fear any reprisal after death or because some mouldy old book of fairy tales threatens me with hellfire or tells me what to do. So run off back to your book of fairy tales and hide there, while the rest of us face life head on and think for ourselves.

*Yawwwwn*...not this lame excuse again because you dont want to have to answer to the Creator whom you know exists....and who doesnt believe in atheists.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
I personally believe that this life is where you learn whats important.

Ever been around really old people who are about to die? Most of them seem to accept they are going to die, and they have a calmness about them.

Me, I take the Peter Pan approach, "To die would be a great adventure!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality