Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times

Advertisements

The central figure around Christmas is now Santa Clause! Better for business.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 12-04-2010 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Most Indians don't live on reservations. I also suspect most are Christians.

I do agree with the rest of your post though. Native Americans have played the victim card pretty hard, and there is a distorted view of history regarding what really happened to them. But that is neither here nor there, and would be OT to go too deep into it.
It maybe OT, but I cannot let it go just like that without a response.

True, most NDNs don't live on rez's, especially in Oklahoma as there are no rez's as such. There is still allotment land and markers where the rez's were, but the Oklahoma rez's themselves were dissolved long ago. In other states, there are plenty of rez NDNs.

Many NDNs are Christians (both devout and nominally so). Many are traditional. Many are agnostic/atheist. Many just don't think about it at all and are ambivalent concerning these things, especially among young people. To state that MOST NDNs are anything, is a massive generalization. To make a statement of an entire ethnicity based upon what you observed in one part of Oklahoma is a huge misrepresentation. Avoid that. Even myself, as an NDN (enrolled Comanche), cannot say what all or even most natives think, believe or do. With over 500 federally recognized tribes, I am doing good to simply understand my own Nation's history and culture let alone all the other Nations in Oklahoma and certainly not the entire United States, Canada or the rest of the Western hemisphere.

As to your second paragraph, well, I agree, this is not the right place to get into all that. But the "victim card" statement ticks me off just a little. Again, on over-the-top generalized statement. Yeah some do that, but a lot of us overcame it all. For rez NDNs, especially, it is WAY more complicated than you or Mircea made it out to be.

Mircea, I would be glad to discuss your comments on another thread as this is not the place. Yeah, there is a lot of Dances With Wolves BS out there and a lot of what you said is correct, especially about warfare between different nations. That being said, there are some things being left out that are important to that discussion. If you want, we can discuss it, just not on this thread.

Lastly, to get back to the original topic, I'll repeat what I said to Mystic. Concerning the native Nativity scenes: it isn't so much a matter of recriminations against the dominant culture. It's more that, to me, the Christian Nativity story has nothing to do with us. Yes, I know there are Christian NDNs and that is fine, but for me as a traditionalist, it just sort of bugs because the implication is that Christianity is our way (or at least should be)....this I reject. That being said, it really doesn't bug me that much. A minor annoyance.

Last edited by Fullback32; 12-04-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Native Americans have played the victim card pretty hard, and there is a distorted view of history regarding what really happened to them.
You were correct; this is WAY off-topic. However, it does conveniently gloss over a little something called "reality".

Wishing for you and yours the Season's very best,

-- Nighteyes

Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
. . . so we are cool, right??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Yup.
===========================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
.... And I trust the OP is cool and the redneck who ranted about the failure of the 'cowardly' to grab the festive season by the scruff of the neck and make it a billboard for jesus like they'd like to do for every other ****ing thing from the classroom to science publications is cool too.
Arequipa, that "Yup" was a personal statement of "okay-ness" from me to MysticPhD. It means that, though I strongly disagree with his position for very many reasons, I accept and respect his right to have and express it, and that the only requirement I place on him is a similar acceptance and respect of me and mine.

I'm concerned that you attempted to broadly apply something that took place in a one-to-one discussion to which you were not a party. But that's just me, of course.

Season's Best to you and yours,

-- Nighteyes

Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Concerning the native Nativity scenes: it isn't so much a matter of recriminations against the dominant culture. It's more that, to me, the Christian Nativity story has nothing to do with us. Yes, I know there are Christian NDNs and that is fine, but for me as a traditionalist, it just sort of bugs because the implication is that Christianity is our way (or at least should be)....this I reject. That being said, it really doesn't bug me that much. A minor annoyance.
I am NDN, and I follow the teachings of Christ as I understand them. With that said, I feel much the same way as Fullback. The most diplomatic single-word descriptor that can be applied to such a display, IMO, is "presumptuous". There are quite a number of far more accurate, but much less diplomatic, descriptors. Due to the spirit of the Season (and the Moderators, of course ), they have no place here.

Wishing the Season's Best to all here, and to their families and friends and loved ones,

-- Nighteyes

Old 12-06-2010, 12:48 PM

And by the way, people:

Much has been said and decried about the "politically correct" greeting and wish -- Happy Holidays. Much anger has been aimed in its direction, and many, ah, uncomplimentary things have been said about people who prefer it. Most of these comments have talked about returning to "traditions."

Well, here's a 60-year-plus tradition for you:

From my earliest memories onward (approximately 1949), there has been another, equally inclusive greeting. So far it has completely escaped being the target of all this vitriol. In fact, if you look back over my posts, you'll see that I use a variant of that greeting. So far no one has objected.

Oh, the phrase I'm talking about? It's

Season's Greetings!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:56 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Arequipa, that "Yup" was a personal statement of "okay-ness" from me to MysticPhD. It means that, though I strongly disagree with his position for very many reasons, I accept and respect his right to have and express it, and that the only requirement I place on him is a similar acceptance and respect of me and mine.
After due consideration of your posts, Nighteyes . . . I am certain we are not as far apart as you currently believe. That you can acknowledge Christ and "love God and each other" . . . places you in my camp . . . there are no other mandates. I view the greeting, displays, etc. folderol as politically correct rabble rousing, period. I do not believe there should be any "right" to protection from exposure to ANY form of expression that is not illegal. Season's Greetings to you and yours, Nighteyes.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
After due consideration of your posts, Nighteyes . . . I am certain we are not as far apart as you currently believe.
Noticed that, did you? I just tend to be more all-inclusive and accepting of other religions and traditions than your posts seem (to me) to describe you as being.

However, I also get the feeling that your objections may come from a specific, deeply personal, and possibly traumatic experience that you have not as yet shared with us.

Or I could, as is sometimes the case, be way-the-heck out in the middle of nowhere on this.

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 12-06-2010 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
Let's start by putting God first in our lives and then we will celebrate and observe those holidays the way we should.
Do you feel that God is honored by having plastic Jesus figures set about in WalMart? I'm not sure how that is honoring him at all.

I doubt that if Jesus came walking through town today he'd be offended that the shelves are not adorned with tacky figures of himself.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Do you feel that God is honored by having plastic Jesus figures set about in WalMart? I'm not sure how that is honoring him at all.

I doubt that if Jesus came walking through town today he'd be offended that the shelves are not adorned with tacky figures of himself.
Well spoken, m'lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality