Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 PM

421 posts, read 448,464 times

Advertisements

In general use, it seems to me that morality means to do something that is 'good' or 'right' even if this goes against self interest. If assumes that God exists, the route of this moral code is easy enough, it is the code of God.

In a world without God, however, then there would appear to be no possibility for a transcendental moral code. Thus morality must be held in individuals, and there can be no universal wrongs or right. This means that murder, or rape, can only be wrong as a matter of perception of the individual, not inherently wrong.

I wonder how morality functions for atheists who wish to be moral? There seems no reason for morality above self interest in certain circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:39 PM

176 posts, read 288,333 times
Moral behavior comes naturally to most people, even those who think it's "god" are still following their own code. There are technically no universal rights or wrongs, but we have evolved the intelligence to be able to comprehend emotions, unnecessary cruelty, etc, and being kind to others is also helpful to our species continued growth, considering that when you do something nice for someone else, you are likely to receive something similar in return. People call it karma, but it's simply cause and effect. You wouldn't say a lion who slowly kills an antelope simply because it wants to draw out the kill as a form of play is immoral, but if a human did the same thing they would in most societies, be looked down on. This is only because, like I previously stated, we are intelligent enough to understand the unnecessary pain we are causing to the antelope.

A "god" has absolutely nothing to do with our moral instincts. This is very clearly evidenced by how kind and helpful many atheists are, and by how many horrible cruel things are done in the name of "god".

There are bad people, and good people, everywhere, it boils down to genetics, environment, and instinct.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
Moral behavior comes naturally to most people, even those who think it's "god" are still following their own code. There are technically no universal rights or wrongs, but we have evolved the intelligence to be able to comprehend emotions, unnecessary cruelty, etc, and being kind to others is also helpful to our species continued growth, considering that when you do something nice for someone else, you are likely to receive something similar in return. People call it karma, but it's simply cause and effect. You wouldn't say a lion who slowly kills an antelope simply because it wants to draw out the kill as a form of play is immoral, but if a human did the same thing they would in most societies, be looked down on. This is only because, like I previously stated, we are intelligent enough to understand the unnecessary pain we are causing to the antelope.

A "god" has absolutely nothing to do with our moral instincts. This is very clearly evidenced by how kind and helpful many atheists are, and by how many horrible cruel things are done in the name of "god".

There are bad people, and good people, everywhere, it boils down to genetics, environment, and instinct.
Whilst I don't disagree with what you say, it seems to me that what you have described isn't morality in its general use. Morality in your description comes down to self interest and biology - which seems not really to describe morality.

If morality is simply a matter holding to the rules of society, that have proven to have been in the self interests of people in that society, doesn't it stop being morality and start being basic self interest?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
In general use, it seems to me that morality means to do something that is 'good' or 'right' even if this goes against self interest. If assumes that God exists, the route of this moral code is easy enough, it is the code of God.

In a world without God, however, then there would appear to be no possibility for a transcendental moral code. Thus morality must be held in individuals, and there can be no universal wrongs or right. This means that murder, or rape, can only be wrong as a matter of perception of the individual, not inherently wrong.

I wonder how morality functions for atheists who wish to be moral? There seems no reason for morality above self interest in certain circumstance.
People that need an outside source for moral guidance scare me.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:

Good grief, this old pile of dung again? The majority of immoral people in this word are believers, not atheists...Look at the prison statistics for a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aCRHjH6d4Q

Old 11-29-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief, this old pile of dung again? The majority of immoral people in this word are believers, not atheists...Look at the prison statistics for a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aCRHjH6d4Q
If people follow the moral codel is irrelevant to if a moral code can exist without God.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 AM

176 posts, read 288,333 times
Quote:
If people follow the moral codel is irrelevant to if a moral code can exist without God.
There is no such thing is a moral "code", just moral behavior.

Which by the way, exists everyday without a "god", considering a "god" does not exist.

If you refuse to understand that people choose to be moral because they understand the reasons to be moral, and not because of some "code" or "outside guidance" then I just don't know what else to say.

I will never understand why so many people have a hard time accepting that you can be a good person without being religious. It really is disheartening.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Yes, a moral code can exists without God because morality is real; and God isn't.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yes, a moral code can exists without God because morality is real; and God isn't.
If morality is real then it must exist somewhere, if its not just held by individuals then it must be held externally. So the question comes as to where?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Moral codes exist because humans choose to live together. In order for a society to thrive and survive - there needs to be some sort of moral code. Different cultures have different moral codes. This is not necessarily based on religion or lack there of. A society could not exist where killing, rape, and stealing were running rampant.
Factor in also that for almost all people - killing other humans, raping, and stealing are not our natural instincts. If these are your natural instincts - you probably have some serious psychological problems.
I'm not religious. I am still a moral person and I always have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality