Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Personally I don't celebrate Christmas, I celebrate the winter solstice on December 21, it is a tradition that we have celebrated for many thousands of years in this land, it is a celebration marking the end of the year and the beginning of a new year.
Fortunately we have the freedom (today) to celebrate whatever we wish and have it be respected, ptsum. We might have reached that status a lot sooner if your spiritual traditions had prevailed instead of the intolerant Fundamentalist Christians. C'est la vie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I am a believer, but do not celebrate this time of the year as the birth of Christ.

I love the season, the excitement of the children, the baking aroma's from the kitchen, the decorations, the music and the general once a year friendliness of so many people....

One thing though really bothers me..Why can't people be as generous to the underpriviledged, the homeless, the hungry every day except only at ChristmastimeAnd why do so many organizations call a full camera crew in to take photos and videos of the homeless eating a meal or the children receiving gifts from an organization.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday, Happy Wednesday all are accepted if it comes from your heart
Miss Blue, many organizations do work year-round. I work with non-profits and have several relatives and friends in social service organizations (shelters, referral services, advocacy groups, and the like). They take advantage of the holidays as sort of their "pledge drive". But they're ALWAYS working, and they're not flush with government cash as is often popularly believed.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Hi Bungee. I also work with a local charity organization and a homeless shelter year round. we struggle every month to remain open but have many donations just before Christmas..One in particular that I work for makes sure that the people are not humiliated /embarrassed by our inviting the local tv station to film them eating, receiving gifts or being asked embarrassing questions on the spot about their situation..There are many proud underprivileged people here who turn down help because they do not wish to have it broadcast on Tv , newspapers.

I was just saying that I wish the vast majority of the public were as generous year round as they are at Christmas time..Sometimes my words do not exactly convey my thoughts

Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Hi Bungee. I also work with a local charity organization and a homeless shelter year round. we struggle every month to remain open but have many donations just before Christmas..One in particular that I work for makes sure that the people are not humiliated /embarrassed by our inviting the local tv station to film them eating, receiving gifts or being asked embarrassing questions on the spot about their situation..There are many proud underprivileged people here who turn down help because they do not wish to have it broadcast on Tv , newspapers.

I was just saying that I wish the vast majority of the public were as generous year round as they are at Christmas time..Sometimes my words do not exactly convey my thoughts
My niece works with battered women and men, so I understand the camera crew caution! I didn't read any cynicism in your post, but the commercialization of holiday charity tends to create general cynicism about charity itself. Still, charitable work has to take opportunities where it finds them. It finds them at Christmastime.

Of course, we should always be generous. But I don't have a problem with a ritualized season of giving. We do Spring cleaning. We shake hands. We do a lot of things reflexively, even thoughtlessly, but these things still have meaning and worth. And, hey, if people feel a holiday donation is worthless then they should worthlessly donate anyway and let someone else find the meaning in it!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM

137 posts, read 312,096 times
Merry Christmas,I have already started to prepare some gift.ps3?Oh,I have to think again.haha

Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Getting a start on the 2011 whining.
I thought we'd recycle.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
As someone who doesn't happen to be a Christian, every year I'm fascinated when that term, "the meaning of Christmas," resurfaces. As far as I can tell, it means acting nicer than you ordinarily would for the other 364 days of the year. If there is more to it, you can't prove that by humanity.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
The meaning of christmas is usually overspending on junk that breaks or pollutes.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Christmas? I don't celebrate that commercialized garbage. The fact that it's a religious holiday (celebrating the birth of Republican Baby Jesus and good-old-fashioned American Greed) just makes it worse.

December 25th is just another day on my calendar.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 PM

3,488 posts, read 6,507,283 times
The ones that really get to me are the fundamentalist Christians who complain that all the other religious/spiritual traditions are merely "copying Christmas"...

Yeah, right. Never mind documented history. Never mind that the celebration of Chanukah significantly predates the birth of Christ. Never mind the Council of Nicea. Never mind that Winter Solstice rituals and celebrations far, far predate the birth of Christ (which, by the way, was not on December 25th). Never mind that many (maybe most) of the "traditional Christmas" symbols and traditions have been co-opted from far older religions and spiritual traditions...

I know what Christmas means to me. I also know and respect what other celebrations that occur around the 25th of December mean to other religions and spiritual traditions. If anyone chooses to take exception to that, all ya gotta do is take a number and stand in line. I will get to all of you eventually...

-- Nighteyes (who follows the teachings of Christ as he understands them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality