U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 9,945,731 times
Reputation: 1525
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA
Quote:
But science just gives facts. It does not tell us the right or wrong way to use them. That is for humanity and its moral codes and how it does so, for good or bad is down to humanity, and the leaders it chooses or allows to impose themselves. It is NOT a criticism to be levelled at science.
I don't agree, every person is responsible for his actions.
The fact that 1 is a scientist does not absolve him of this fact, so each scientist is responsible for the application of his science and / or invention.
I guess Einstein found this out the hard way.


Originally Posted by Arjay51
Quote:
Or a severe case of recognizing it to set out examples (murder, slavery etc) for people to follow and claim authority to do so because the bible (gods word, right?) has it in the stories and is approved by this god.

Can you say crock?
Can you say unbiased and critical?
I've read the Bible and unlike Christians I don't believe that God gives his believers ( or anyone else for that matter) a free out of jail card so they can do whatever they wish in his name.
Sure there are religious leaders who interpret the Bible to their advantage.
Heck, there are even non-religious people (read: patriots & politicians) who claim this so they can manipulate Christians into doing their bidding, simply because they use the Bible for their own (political) ends.
Unfortunately the Bible, like any other work of (great) art, is defenceless against those who want to use it for their propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 PM
 
4,704 posts, read 4,871,395 times
Reputation: 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
urbancharlotte i feel you have taken a few liberties and you are gonna need to go back and provide some proof for that whole first paragraph
Quote:
While this theory represents a rather extreme position, other more widely accepted theories argue simply that early Europeans may have interbred with Neanderthals at rates great enough that Neanderthal features can still be observed in modern, particularly ‘northwestern European’ populations, today (Tinkaus, 2007; Wolpoff et al, 2004).
Europeans and Neanderthals: Are there Biological Relationships? - AfricaResource: The Place for Africa on the Net

Quote:
Neanderthals and modern humans not only coexisted for thousands of years long ago, as anthropologists have established, but now their little secret is out: they also cohabited.
Human-Neanderthal Hybrid?

More and more we're finding out that many "Neanderthals" are actually hybrids of humans/real Neanderthals. This has caused the "Neanderthals are Humans" theory to emerge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM
 
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,859 posts, read 12,574,763 times
Reputation: 6436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why does it matter if science cancels out religion or not? That is not what it's about...Religion is doing a fine job of that on it's own, since it is bogus from the start...In the long run myths cannot stand the exposure they are subject to today, and still be considered reality. It will be a slow death, but mark my words religion will be eventually dragged kicking and screaming to it's grave...The kicking and screaming has already begun.
Smarter people than you have said that and been wrong every time. Even in the most secular countries religion is probably not going to die altogether, certainly not any time soon. The idea it will has traditionally been due to confusion among non-theists about what religion even is or what purpose it serves to the believer. (Formerly being a believer doesn't always change that)

Religion provides people with things that maybe you don't need, but many people do. Transcendence, community, cosmic meaning, continuity, etc. So even in a nation like Sweden they've had things like Livets Ord and in Japan various Shinshukyo. Besides that the kind of triumphalist "history is on our side and we will bury you" thinking is usually just smug wishfulness anyway. Communist Parties are even still around and ruling a couple nations. A total vanquishing of something is more for comic books and considering how often people come back to life in those, maybe not even then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 AM
 
1,841 posts, read 960,498 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Europeans and Neanderthals: Are there Biological Relationships? - AfricaResource: The Place for Africa on the Net


Human-Neanderthal Hybrid?

More and more we're finding out that many "Neanderthals" are actually hybrids of humans/real Neanderthals. This has caused the "Neanderthals are Humans" theory to emerge.
urbancharlotte thank you for the follow-up.
i'am guess having a little trouble following you, whom do you believe possesses the neanderthal genes? because it's found in all the races except one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
7,431 posts, read 3,401,182 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 Can you say unbiased and critical?
I've read the Bible and unlike Christians I don't believe that God gives his believers ( or anyone else for that matter) a free out of jail card so they can do whatever they wish in his name.
Sure there are religious leaders who interpret the Bible to their advantage.
Heck, there are even non-religious people (read: patriots & politicians) who claim this so they can manipulate Christians into doing their bidding, simply because they use the Bible for their own (political) ends.
Unfortunately the Bible, like any other work of (great) art, is defenceless against those who want to use it for their propaganda.
Can you say blindly believing and biased? That would be the essense of your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 08:22 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 9,945,731 times
Reputation: 1525
Originally Posted by Arjay51
Quote:
Can you say blindly believing and biased?
LoL, you don't even know what I believe.

And I'm biased?
About what or whom?
Christians?
Atheists?
Religion?
I don't see that big of a difference between atheists & theists; to me you're all different sides of the same coin who behave exactly alike.

I don’t favour 1 over the other while you the ‘sensible’ atheist presumes that because I profess to be a follower of the philosophy of Jesus can only classify me as a Christian (read: an illogical believer).
Simply because you don’t understand 1 word I’m saying, because you have no idea where I'm comming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 543,241 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The problem with SCIENCE is...it is a human made conceptual tool of learning and gaining knowledge with Weak based IDEALS that seem to change over time...to correct error, and sometimes not to correct error in what is known to be true!

God is final..God is complete, God does not change, because God is perfect in his or her or its truth.

Science knows not the truth...but tries to make truth with what little of it they find....to the degree of not proving God...but trying to prove a rational and biased opinion other than God did it, or God said it, or willed it.

The example of science using what is seen, and weighted and or factored in math, in some form of measure...is never perfectly known...or perfectly brought as truth....thus the word "theory" is made to error...and to allow error!.

God does not allow error...God is perfect!

Science told us there were 9 planets in our solar system just a few years back...this was a truth of science back then....And it was not said to be a theory, but actual fact..(Truth).
But today Science has recanted that truth/fact...and put forward a new conceptual idea....that planets have to have X in order to be a planet...so the number of Planets has been corrected or made different to the orginal Fact they claimed before the new conceptual idea was brought to be!

So Science is flawed with error!...and when the error is found...they change it to what ever needs to be known...when and if they decide to do so.

God does not change!...God is final and first and foremost the truth of all things and conceptual master builder!

See?

You can believe whatever you want...but in the end...people will tend to believe what stays truthful always..and is never changing!
thus no mistakes are made when you follow God..or his son...or his people..who do know, and work for, and understand God's word and will...first and foremost.

The truth is always true!
Science is flawed and always changing....and the word theory is truly a lie or error covered up with a bunch of babble to make it look truthful!

Last edited by Sir Les; 12-04-2010 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 AM
 
6,040 posts, read 5,484,855 times
Reputation: 3816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
The problem with SCIENCE is...it is a human made conceptual tool of learning and gaining knowledge with Weak based IDEALS that seem to change over time...to correct error, and sometimes not to correct error in what is known to be true!

God is final..God is complete, God does not change, because God is perfect in his or her or its truth.

Science knowns not the truth...but tries to make truth with what little of it they find....to the degree of not proving God...but trying to prove a rational and biased opinion other than God did it, or God said it, or willed it.

The example of science using what is seen, and weighted and or factored in math, in some form of measure...is never perfectly known...or perfectly brought as truth....thus the word "theory" is made to error...and to allow error!.

God does not allow error...God is perfect!

Science told us there were 9 planets in our solar system just a few years back...this was a truth of science back then....And it was not said to be a theory, but actual fact..(Truth).
But today Science has recanted that truth/fact...and put forward a new conceptual idea....that planets have to have X in order to be a planet...so the number of Planets has been corrected or made different to the orginal Fact they claimed before the new conceptual idea was brought to be!

So Science is flawed with error!...and when the error is found...they change it to what ever needs to be known...when and if they decide to do so.

God does not change!...God is final and first and foremost the truth of all things and conceptual master buider!

See?

You can believe whatever you want...but in the end...people will tend to believe what stays truthful always..and is never changing!
thus no mistakes are made when you follow God..or his son...or his people..who do know, and work for, and understand God's word and will...first and foremost.

The truth is always true!
Science is flawed and always changing....and the word theory is truly a lie or error covered up with a bunch of babble to make it look truthful!
Brainwashed. Utterly, completely brainwashed. Not worth any effort to discuss with you. Run along now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 9,945,731 times
Reputation: 1525
Luckily science isn't a requirement for our survival as a species, otherwise we would've been extinct from the get go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 1,484,361 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The previous universe collapsed upon itself into the singularity that is the source of the big bang that created this universe.

That is certainly more believable than 'god dunnit'
That's funny, because science says we are heading for the "big freeze". As of right now, scientists say there is not enough mass for gravity to bring it all together, so how do you supposed that this iteration of the universe was a result of the previous universe contracting on itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top