U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 PM
 
Location: The Magic Kingdom
7,067 posts, read 2,908,105 times
Reputation: 874

Advertisements

There's "rules" in marriage too. Do you have a problem with that? Because I love my wife, I am faithful to her. Could I have relations with another woman? Sure, but it would damage my marriage. I choose not to.

Here's a passage that explains it:

I Corinthians 10

23-24
You could say, "Anything goes. Because of God's immense generosity and grace, we don't have to dissect and scrutinize every action to see if it will pass muster." But the point is not to just get by. We want to live well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Detroit/South Korea
465 posts, read 280,012 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
There's "rules" in marriage too. Do you have a problem with that? Because I love my wife, I am faithful to her. Could I have relations with another woman? Sure, but it would damage my marriage. I choose not to.

Here's a passage that explains it:

I Corinthians 10

23-24
You could say, "Anything goes. Because of God's immense generosity and grace, we don't have to dissect and scrutinize every action to see if it will pass muster." But the point is not to just get by. We want to live well.
Totally different situation. If I were married, my wife wouldn't require perfection from me.

And hey I'm not the one picking and choosing which actions are pleasing to god and which ones aren't.

Like I said, if every sin is equal in biblegod's eyes, then going to church on a Sunday is just the same as fornicating. You say sin damages a relationship with god...why doesn't the sin of going to church on a Sunday do the same damage? You are still disobeying.

You say you want to live well, then why would sex between two people who love each other, who are only seeing each other, are doing it safely, and plan on getting married within a year be wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
48 posts, read 32,513 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Totally different situation. If I were married, my wife wouldn't require perfection from me.

And hey I'm not the one picking and choosing which actions are pleasing to god and which ones aren't.

Like I said, if every sin is equal in biblegod's eyes, then going to church on a Sunday is just the same as fornicating. You say sin damages a relationship with god...why doesn't the sin of going to church on a Sunday do the same damage? You are still disobeying.

You say you want to live well, then why would sex between two people who love each other, who are only seeing each other, are doing it safely, and plan on getting married within a year be wrong?
oooooohhh the dread fornication thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
 
4,833 posts, read 4,000,781 times
Reputation: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes. However, God gave man the ability to choose. Man chose sin. Therefore, his ability to live a sinless life was gone. Hence, the need for a Savior (Jesus-God in human form) to meet the requirement for us.
Kinda creating a broken product from the start kinda thing, huh?

"Hey, I'll give 'em choice and I know they will screw it up, but I will come up with a plan to save a handful of them from my wrath."

Makes as much sense as Lady Gaga's outfits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
48 posts, read 32,513 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Kinda creating a broken product from the start kinda thing, huh?

"Hey, I'll give 'em choice and I know they will screw it up, but I will come up with a plan to save a handful of them from my wrath."

Makes as much sense as Lady Gaga's outfits.
Talking about outfits and something making sense.

Take a look at the seventy and eighty year old men dressed in crimson gowns with two feet tall hats waving smoke pots. It doesn't get much better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 PM
 
Location: The Magic Kingdom
7,067 posts, read 2,908,105 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Totally different situation. If I were married, my wife wouldn't require perfection from me.
I bet she would expect love & faithfulness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
And hey I'm not the one picking and choosing which actions are pleasing to god and which ones aren't.

Like I said, if every sin is equal in biblegod's eyes, then going to church on a Sunday is just the same as fornicating. You say sin damages a relationship with god...why doesn't the sin of going to church on a Sunday do the same damage? You are still disobeying.
I assume you're talking about the Jewish Sabbath. Again, Christians are not bound by the OT Law. We worship on the first day of the week because that's when Christ arose. The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. We are bound only by two things-love God & love others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
You say you want to live well, then why would sex between two people who love each other, who are only seeing each other, are doing it safely, and plan on getting married within a year be wrong?
Maybe it wouldn't. A believer would have to decide (based on Scripture & prayer) if that's the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
25,003 posts, read 18,646,062 times
Reputation: 9901
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Maybe it wouldn't. A believer would have to decide (based on Scripture & prayer) if that's the right thing to do.
Providing he can cherry pick the right scripture (rule) and since you have thrown out the ten commandments (according to you, old testament rules no longer apply) where would he look to do his cherry picking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM
 
Location: The Magic Kingdom
7,067 posts, read 2,908,105 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Providing he can cherry pick the right scripture (rule) and since you have thrown out the ten commandments (according to you, old testament rules no longer apply) where would he look to do his cherry picking?
The New Testament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Detroit/South Korea
465 posts, read 280,012 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I bet she would expect love & faithfulness.



I assume you're talking about the Jewish Sabbath. Again, Christians are not bound by the OT Law. We worship on the first day of the week because that's when Christ arose. The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. We are bound only by two things-love God & love others.



Maybe it wouldn't. A believer would have to decide (based on Scripture & prayer) if that's the right thing to do.
"I bet she would expect love & faithfulness." -- Has nothing to do with what I said. I said she wouldn't expect perfection or say that without her, I'm a mistake ridden bag.

"I assume you're talking about the Jewish Sabbath. Again, Christians are not bound by the OT Law. We worship on the first day of the week because that's when Christ arose. The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. We are bound only by two things-love God & love others."--- Sabbath is still valid in the NT...look it up. Also didn't address women talking in the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM
 
Location: The Magic Kingdom
7,067 posts, read 2,908,105 times
Reputation: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Has nothing to do with what I said. I said she wouldn't expect perfection or say that without her, I'm a mistake ridden bag.
God knows we're not perfect. That's why Jesus came-to "help" us. In the beginning, mankind had the ability to live a sinless life, but chose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Sabbath is still valid in the NT...look it up.
Not for Christians.

What day is the Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday? Do Christians have to observe the Sabbath day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Also didn't address women talking in the church.
What's your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top