Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,621,412 times

Advertisements

I realize that many people feel that their religion is clearly stated and as rock solid as the day it was written. What people don't often consider is the fact that religions have already adapted to changes in society and advancements in scientific knowledge in the past. We're all familiar with the fact that it took hundreds of years and alot of suffering by early scientists before the church accepted the idea that the earth revolves around the sun. The people who made official proclamations for the church were just flat wrong. I've always thought it would make more sense to view the Bible for example, as a starting point and something to build on that would be similar to the US Constitution. The Bible is written in such a style that it's always open to a degree of interpretation. As societies have become modern and changed considerably from the times of the writing of the Bible there has always been this conflict between our modern viewpoint and the thoughts that were expressed by an individual living a couple of thousand years ago in a totally different environment. It's only natural that it would appear confusing and be misunderstood. I'm talking about such issues as the role of women in the church, sexuality, and the vast accumulation of scientific knowledge that's been developed. It makes no sense to me to base modern church doctrine on a misunderstood view of ancient societies and to completely disregard every bit of human progress that's been made since that time. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
My only thought is that you are absolutely right.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize that many people feel that their religion is clearly stated and as rock solid as the day it was written. What people don't often consider is the fact that religions have already adapted to changes in society and advancements in scientific knowledge in the past. We're all familiar with the fact that it took hundreds of years and alot of suffering by early scientists before the church accepted the idea that the earth revolves around the sun. The people who made official proclamations for the church were just flat wrong. I've always thought it would make more sense to view the Bible for example, as a starting point and something to build on that would be similar to the US Constitution. The Bible is written in such a style that it's always open to a degree of interpretation. As societies have become modern and changed considerably from the times of the writing of the Bible there has always been this conflict between our modern viewpoint and the thoughts that were expressed by an individual living a couple of thousand years ago in a totally different environment. It's only natural that it would appear confusing and be misunderstood. I'm talking about such issues as the role of women in the church, sexuality, and the vast accumulation of scientific knowledge that's been developed. It makes no sense to me to base modern church doctrine on a misunderstood view of ancient societies and to completely disregard every bit of human progress that's been made since that time. Any thoughts?
I agree with Irish. I think your logic here is undeniable. We all know my views on the modern interpretations of the Bible. However, I would add that certain things found in the Bible are eternal...the Golden Rule, the Proverbs and Psalms, the story of Jesus, as just a few examples. But when it gets down to the nuts and bolts of Christian living, there is alot of wiggle room in certain areas, and thus all the different intepretations. That's why I always say that it's the basics that are important. Love one another. Seek God diligently. The rest will fall in line.

I will add (while smearing flame-retardant gel all over my body) that I think alot of Christians would do well do read what this athiest has just said!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Hear hear!

(Of course, it's me, jeff and irishmom first to respond affirmatively)

flame retardant gel
Funniest...post....evar.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
I would just say that truth is truth. It doesn't change. It is timeless. The issue is whether you believe the Bible is God's Word or man's word. If it's man's, then yes, it might need a revision. If it's God's, then we need to trust that He might know a little bit more about morality, human relationships and so forth than we "enlightened " people do.

Btw, I hope you bought plenty of flame-retardant gel, Jeff! LOL!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I would just say that truth is truth. It doesn't change. It is timeless. The issue is whether you believe the Bible is God's Word or man's word. If it's man's, then yes, it might need a revision. If it's God's, then we need to trust that He might know a little bit more about morality, human relationships and so forth than we "enlightened " people do.

Btw, I hope you bought plenty of flame-retardant gel, Jeff! LOL!
Hoped you guys would like that...

I agree kay that the core message and many truths are indeed timeless. I do think that the Bible is God's word...but it has been written and interpreted by man. I therefore find it prudent to remember that when running across something that seems a bit off. And it is true that some things are old cultural issues, or regional, or written just for the Israelites...for instance, the verses about women remaining silent in church are in need of further interpretation, no? They are, or you end up with a viewpoint like Mark S., who thinks like my grandfather that women are to be completely subserviant and silent. Or at least that's what I think I remember him saying...

Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
Quote:
Should Religions Be More Flexible About Changing Views?
No - Everything expressed in the Bible apply in everything in our modern lives, they were, are, and will always be, the word of God given to us through many individuals in the Old and New Testaments, even though, as you referred to them as "misunderstood view of ancient societies".

Take for example the Ten Commandments, all of which still apply to our lives today. From my perspective, the 1st and 2nd Commandments basically tell us the same thing they told Israel over 3000 years ago, if you put your faith in worldly idols (money, material things, etc) and don't acknowledge God, there are consequences for that. If you steal, kill or commit adultery, there's a heavy price to be paid, both here and eternity.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
No - Everything expressed in the Bible apply in everything in our modern lives, they were, are, and will always be, the word of God given to us through many individuals in the Old and New Testaments, even though, as you referred to them as "misunderstood view of ancient societies".

Take for example the Ten Commandments, all of which still apply to our lives today. From my perspective, the 1st and 2nd Commandments basically tell us the same thing they told Israel over 3000 years ago, if you put your faith in worldly idols (money, material things, etc) and don't acknowledge God, there are consequences for that. If you steal, kill or commit adultery, there's a heavy price to be paid, both here and eternity.
Very well put, the Bible is immutable as well as God is immutable so our particular views on the Bible and beliefs should not change.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,175 times
I think they need to be flexible. They were written to reflect a moment in time and what was important then. Times change, people change.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Very well put, the Bible is immutable as well as God is immutable so our particular views on the Bible and beliefs should not change.
Which translation is immutable? There are hundreds, if not more, and they can be interpreted to say many things, depending on who is reading, and what interpretation someone has.

The Catholic Bible, for instance, carries the 14 books of the Apocrypha, and Protestant Bibles do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality