U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,976,717 times
Reputation: 1771

Advertisements

I'm glad I don't believe I was born to be a slave, and that my purpose is to worship a master.


For eternity.



How depressing of a thought is that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2010, 04:52 PM
 
Location: North Central Ohio, to be exact :)
360 posts, read 412,042 times
Reputation: 63
It is pretty depressing.

Good thing I was born to be happy, not to be a slave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 43,088,878 times
Reputation: 10990
The purpose of life is to work. If you cannot work, you do not need to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 PM
 
1,785 posts, read 3,166,010 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm glad I don't believe I was born to be a slave, and that my purpose is to worship a master.


For eternity.



How depressing of a thought is that?
But if you don't view Him/Her as a master, it's really not an issue. I tend to view God as a loving parent who takes pride in my accomplishments and who is disappointed in my failures. Kind of like a loving parent. In the same way they take great joy in my successes, they have always been there pushing me forward when they knew I could do better or straightened me out when I put myself in harm's way. In the same way I honor my parents, I honor God.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
9,301 posts, read 10,352,565 times
Reputation: 15817
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
It is pretty depressing.

Good thing I was born to be happy, not to be a slave.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm glad I don't believe I was born to be a slave, and that my purpose is to worship a master.


For eternity.



How depressing of a thought is that?
I've said more than once that many atheists believe the way they do, because they don't want there to be a God or hope there isn't a God. Nothing to do with lack of evidence. More about a desire.

Good OP.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 PM
 
Location: OKC
5,426 posts, read 5,976,717 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I've said more than once that many atheists believe the way they do, because they don't want there to be a God or hope there isn't a God. Nothing to do with lack of evidence. More about a desire.

Good OP.
I would like to live forever, but not if it meant I had to worship someone.

But that's independent of the fact that the evidence doesn't support a belief in God, in my opinion. I'm sure you're smart enough to see that, right.... Right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 PM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 2,413,823 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If the purpose of life is to worship God, I would rather have not been born.
What's more depressing is that some people around might agree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,327,699 times
Reputation: 194
The vision of forced worship for eternity doesn't even enter my brain. It is all about living obediently according to His laws and showing appreciation. You follow the laws of the gov't (I hope)? How much better mankind/the world would be following the laws of the One who created us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
9,301 posts, read 10,352,565 times
Reputation: 15817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I would like to live forever, but not if it meant I had to worship someone.
That's like saying:I would like to live in the USA, but not if it meant I had to respect the govenment and obey the laws of the land.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But that's independent of the fact that the evidence doesn't support a belief in God, in my opinion. I'm sure you're smart enough to see that, right.... Right?
Five years of college and I see the evidence for God all around me. Sorry, but some folk dismiss the evidence. But really that point is for another thread.

Reality sucks, but what choice do we really have?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,679,184 times
Reputation: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm glad I don't believe I was born to be a slave, and that my purpose is to worship a master.


For eternity.



How depressing of a thought is that?
Well, you can be a slave to yourself (not recommended) or a slave to something much higher than yourself. We all serve something. What exactly do you mean when you say "worship?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top