Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM
AFH

28 posts, read 44,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Study Says Humans Acquired Morality from Primates, Not Religion"

While I fundamentally agree with the study, I have a problem with the title because we humans are still primates. The fact that morality has evolved along with our own evolution, and that some degree of morality (social mores) can be detected amongst other higher mammals, I would think makes the findings rather self-evident.
Indeed -- primates acquiring morality from primates! Who would have guessed??

I imagine ABC News doesn't have a special headline-writer for science articles. No surprise -- science headlines are frequently worded poorly and/or illogically by a wide variety of news sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post
Indeed -- primates acquiring morality from primates! Who would have guessed??

I imagine ABC News doesn't have a special headline-writer for science articles. No surprise -- science headlines are frequently worded poorly and/or illogically by a wide variety of news sources.
Actually the title makes sense since many people still think morals have come from religions and thus ultimately from gods. The title on the other hand implies that morals have been acquired from primates, no matter which ones. Actually it is not known which were the first primates to have had morals. Or maybe all primates have them, not to mention other species such as elephants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality