Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:27 AM

356 posts, read 1,129,238 times

Advertisements

I just went to see it last night and it was fabulous - unfortunately because it is an 800 page book they had to modify and leave out some parts in the movie. Voldemort is unable to truly possess Harry because Harry know LOVE. Not a real bad theme me thinks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 06:31 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This series of books was so popular among children that they actually began to read again instead of watching idiotic television programs and playing violent video games. It's my understanding that because there's alot of reading material to get through with this series of books that it's actually improved the reading skills of children...
Not according to a new study.

Kids reading fewer books despite Harry Potter hoopla

Old 07-15-2007, 07:05 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Marks,
Did you notice this part of the article?
Quote:
"What we need is a Harry Potter every week," said Dana Gioia, chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, who oversaw the study.
Of course one book isn't going to change everything but it's a good start. It's sad that kids today are watching tv and playing video games that do absolutely nothing to stimulate their imagination. When I was a kid I got into Charles Dickens and I read everything he'd ever written and his books were huge. I know that it helped my reading skills. I understand that the Harry Potter books are also very lengthy. This is a positive thing and referring to the author as a "witch" is just plain weird. I have this terrible image of the Marks children dressed as Quakers while reading the Good Book by candlelight. (sense of humour)

Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,238 times
The Harry Potter books have been a wonderful memory created for my family. I began reading them aloud to my son when he was 6 and at 8 now he is very excited about the last book (as well am I at 39). They have sparked meaningful conversations about CHOICE in actions and the consequences. The books explore the age old theme of making choices based on the "good" and "evil" we find within ourselves and the conflict each person faces within themselves. We just finished reading The Last Battle (the end of the Narnia series) and I have to tell you it was alot more disturbing explaining Revelations and the Rapture (what the last book is) to my child than Voldemort fighting the concept of Love found in Harry. Reading is always a positive thing and if you think a book like Harry Potter is going to darken the spiritual world of your children then your own family foundation is shaky at best.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
The Harry Potter books have been a wonderful memory created for my family. I began reading them aloud to my son when he was 6 and at 8 now he is very excited about the last book (as well am I at 39). They have sparked meaningful conversations about CHOICE in actions and the consequences. The books explore the age old theme of making choices based on the "good" and "evil" we find within ourselves and the conflict each person faces within themselves. We just finished reading The Last Battle (the end of the Narnia series) and I have to tell you it was alot more disturbing explaining Revelations and the Rapture (what the last book is) to my child than Voldemort fighting the concept of Love found in Harry. Reading is always a positive thing and if you think a book like Harry Potter is going to darken the spiritual world of your children then your own family foundation is shaky at best.
Wow! Excellent! I couldn't have said it better, myself!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Just saw the movie in IMAX 3-D last night! WOW!!! What an experience. We loved it, and my wife is on pins and needles waiting for the book.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
Reading is always a positive thing and if you think a book like Harry Potter is going to darken the spiritual world of your children then your own family foundation is shaky at best.
Reading isn't always a positive thing. Garbage in/garbage out. Would you also say that all TV shows and movies are a positive thing? After all, scripts are based on the written word.

You may not believe in an active spiritual world (both light and dark), but others do. There are many portals into darkness, and people often unwittingly open themselves to it by the choices they make. What doesn't affect one person may very well affect another.

People don't have to agree on what is appropriate family entertainment. That's a blessing of living in a free society. However, to disparage a family's foundation because they disagree with your choice of entertainment is arrogance. The "anything goes" attitude is what leads to a shaky foundation. Parents who try to provide a solid foundation for their children should be applauded. There are many different kinds of building materials used for constructing a foundation; each builder has the freedom to choose what he deems is the best material for his situation. Time will show whether he used the right materials.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Blueberry wrote:
Quote:
There are many portals into darkness, and people often unwittingly open themselves to it by the choices they make.
Hi, I haven't talked to you in a few days. I just want to say that we're talking about a well written children's book that's been widely acknowledged as being well written and has resulted in some very successful movies as well. When any adult looks at something like this and sees danger because there's magic powers in the story then there's really something wrong. Children's imaginations naturally are drawn towards the make believe world of fairy tales and we've got hundreds of years worth of some wonderfully written stories. There's a fringe group of religious people who oppose Halloween and scary stories because they apparently believe that demons or some ungodly power is going to be unleashed. This is not only ridiculous, it's also very unhealthy thinking. Every child in the world has a fantasy life in their imaginations. This is just part of growing up and it's good and wholesome. In fact, something would be wrong if they didn't have it.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Blueberry wrote:

Every child in the world has a fantasy life in their imaginations. This is just part of growing up and it's good and wholesome. In fact, something would be wrong if they didn't have it.
Imagination may be good and wholesome. I would even say God-given, but Harry Potter is not.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post

You may not believe in an active spiritual world (both light and dark), but others do. There are many portals into darkness, and people often unwittingly open themselves to it by the choices they make. What doesn't affect one person may very well affect another.

People don't have to agree on what is appropriate family entertainment. the best material for his situation. Time will show whether he used the right materials.
Well said, Blueberry. I couldn't agree with you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality