Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I guess technically..u could say Jesus was.."older than dirt?" and still be correct
LMAO!

Oh man, I can't beleive you don't know the number of candles! You just know it was some sort of significance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 10:06 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,581 times
I do tend to say grace in a public restaraunt, but I dont do so in a loud way which causes others to stare and I usually do it quickly.

As for singing happy birthday to Jesus, my grnadmother did this at Christmas a couple years ago. Everyone was a little weirded out, even my kids.

MG - I think they were messin with ya. Next year you'll know for sure.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,500 times
Its a little over the top to me, BUT hey tradtions are traditions. I guess to me its kinda like the Charasmatic/Tradional Church post....people worship and celebrate in different ways. It would have been out of my comfort zone but I would have done exactly what you did out of respect. Just wish the respect was always considered by everyone though deosn't it?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 AM

218 posts, read 606,313 times
I attended a friend's wedding on 12/25. I think was in 2000. Anyway, just before the couple cut the cake the bride's parents wheeled out this E-normous cake and started singing happy birthday to Jesus. I know brides are all dressed in white, but boy oh boy I've never seen someone lose their color so fast. The majority of us were speechless (thankfully the champagne had started to flow and the bar was open).

Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
It's quite funny really considering that they reckon that if Jesus existed he was born sometime around March. After all Christmas was only set in January by the Church to overshadow the Pagan festivals of the winter solstice and Saturnalia... Maybe like the Queen , Jesus has 2 birthdays ! Most Christians did not even celebrate Christmas until the mid 4th century if I remember my history properly .

Old 07-12-2007, 01:28 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
I actually think it's pretty cool, but you know me MontanaGuy!

I certainly can understand the weirdness of it to a non-believer, but I still think it's pretty cool.

Understand, and I think you do MG, that to a committed Christian, Christmas has nothing to with 'Christmas' and everything to do with Christ.

Sounds like you were in a house full of sold-out Jesus freaks.

hehehe-I'd fit right in!! Get me directions!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It's quite funny really considering that they reckon that if Jesus existed he was born sometime around March. After all Christmas was only set in January by the Church to overshadow the Pagan festivals of the winter solstice and Saturnalia... Maybe like the Queen , Jesus has 2 birthdays ! Most Christians did not even celebrate Christmas until the mid 4th century if I remember my history properly .
That's true but I see no issue with taking anything Pagan or secular and putting a Christian viewpoint on it. The world has secularized a lot of things meant to be God-centered, why not flip it back and let God get the glory.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That's true but I see no issue with taking anything Pagan or secular and putting a Christian viewpoint on it. The world has secularized a lot of things meant to be God-centered, why not flip it back and let God get the glory.
I cant give u rep points for this, but I tried!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Yeah I think I would have had to join you and your wine, of course mine would be grapejuice.

Very strange to me, very strange. Not that I don't like to remember Christ but we do it in a more humble way. The best Christmas experience I ever had was when I went to visit temple square in SLC, UT. They have the most beautiful lights and the nativity scene was absolutely breathtaking, it was gently snowing with the story of what Christmas is "really" about was being told...

Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Woah, OK I just had a flashback from my childhood and I remember at one of my grandparent's house on Christmas they DID have a birthday cake for Jesus and we sang happy birthday! It was small and white and had one candle on it...guess who got to blow out the candle? I was eight. We even have pictures of it, if I knew where those were I'd have to post them.

It was on my mother's side, so that explains a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality