Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Has anyone every really felt like they dont fit in with certain "groups" of religious people, or that maybe since you associated with people outside of church, other than Christians, some looked down on you and didnt think you were really..one of them?

Didnt Jesus spend most of his time with thieves and liars and prostitutes? He affected their lifestyle not them his. I had a very good friend in college years that would be our DD when we drank, made sure we got home, and was a gr8 friend, and he was a Christian. Yes he would tell us we didnt need to, but was compassionate and Ill never forget how Christ like he was-prob still is.

Sometimes, like today, I have been given the cold shoulder by "friends" because I dont get involved in the, "wow did you see what they are doing? I am so far from being like them" talk. I thought-still do-that to be Christ like, one should be around people that arent.

Anyone else ever feel "left out" of certain things, circles because you just dont care if you fit into the "Mold" or not? just curious, because Im sure now I dont-lol.
Sometimes I don't 100% fit in with some other Christians because we simply don't see things the same way.

For instance, I really cannot stand politics coming from the pulpit or for some really judgmental types to say "how can a democrat even claim to be a Christian?" Or, for that matter, "Catholics are going to hell." Or church members are not welcoming to couples of different races/ethnicities. And, believe me, I've heard/seen all of those examples among others.

I think the biggest problem with churches is the people get their eyes off God and on to everyone and everything else. If we put God first and try to follow Christ's example, everything else should fall into place.

I agree with what Alpha said about churches (the people) doing more damage than good for the Kingdom of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Sometimes I don't 100% fit in with some other Christians because we simply don't see things the same way.

For instance, I really cannot stand politics coming from the pulpit or for some really judgmental types to say "how can a democrat even claim to be a Christian?" Or, for that matter, "Catholics are going to hell." Or church members are not welcoming to couples of different races/ethnicities. And, believe me, I've heard/seen all of those examples among others.

I think the biggest problem with churches is the people get their eyes off God and on to everyone and everything else. If we put God first and try to follow Christ's example, everything else should fall into place.

I agree with what Alpha said about churches (the people) doing more damage than good for the Kingdom of God.
And I agree with this post in it's entirety.

Nice post, Nana!!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
And I agree with this post in it's entirety.

Nice post, Nana!!
I concure with both Nana and Alpha on this.

It is one of the main reasons I quit my church, and unfortunately, most of the churches in my area are like this.

I get slammed simply because I do not attend church and have even been told face to face that I am going to hell.

My response?

When I go into a church, and cannot find God in it, I know it is a religious church that puts man before God and I want no part of it. I feel I will take my chances with God in a more peaceful environment without man made rules telling me how I need to worship. If this means you think I am headed to hell, so be it.

I don't know how other denominations are, but I feel the Baptist Association has overstepped it's boundaries and in some ways replaced God with so many rules and the current doctrine. I might be wrong, but you know, I have never felt so close to God as I have since leaving this church.

I simply could not stand the back stabbing, snid remarks, put downs, or people looking down their noses at others one second longer. As far as I know, none of this was directed at me, but I saw it directed to a lot of other people who were kind and so full of the Spirit, yet they were being made fun of because of that. MAJOR RED FLAG to me.

Oops, off soapbox..sorry, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post

It is one of the main reasons I quit my church, and unfortunately, most of the churches in my area are like this.

I get slammed simply because I do not attend church and have even been told face to face that I am going to hell.

My response?

When I go into a church, and cannot find God in it, I know it is a religious church that puts man before God and I want no part of it. I feel I will take my chances with God in a more peaceful environment without man made rules telling me how I need to worship. If this means you think I am headed to hell, so be it.

I don't know how other denominations are, but I feel the Baptist Association has overstepped it's boundaries and in some ways replaced God with so many rules and the current doctrine. I might be wrong, but you know, I have never felt so close to God as I have since leaving this church.

I simply could not stand the back stabbing, snid remarks, put downs, or people looking down their noses at others one second longer. As far as I know, none of this was directed at me, but I saw it directed to a lot of other people who were kind and so full of the Spirit, yet they were being made fun of because of that. MAJOR RED FLAG to me.

The very things you just mentioned are the reasons why I left church long ago. All of the back-stabbing, snide remarks, ect...no thank you. I have known, and do know, non-Christians that are more Christ-like than those I left behind in their social club--oops, I mean church.

Christians sure do love to kill their wounded as opposed to helping them get back on their feet.

I still attend my parents church when I visit them, and actually I am looking for a church home right now. We'll see how it goes...

Old 07-13-2007, 02:01 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:

My response?

angel, I would just encourage to keep looking. Obviously, no church will be perfect. Where there are people, there will be problems but when you find a good one, it's worth looking for.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:20 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times
kaykay and jeff you are so right.

I am kaykay still looking. Most of the churches around here are small, and are run by certain families and are cliquish. I guess I am just too sensitive or something, I just can't stand the fakeness of it, plus the fact that we are dealing with our very important entrance into eternal favor with our Lord.

I told my pastor that I didn't feel the church was a place for anger, and I could not help getting angry when I witnessed the way our christian brothers and sisters were acting, that it went against everything that Jesus taught. He could not disagree with me on this, but said I didn't need to let them run me out of church or away from my salvation.

I find that I have grown in my salvation since leaving this negative atomsphere. I was sinning when I let anger get the upper hand with me in such a setting, and I didn't like that either.

So, I feel more at peace than I have in years, the guilt of not going back to my home church is gone, and I do attend a neighboring church, have not joined them though and do not go each time the doors are open. Yet, my walk in the Spirit has grown so much since leaving such negative area and I am more content and happy than I have been in my adult life.

I feel the presence of God where I did not and I seek Him out more and more on a daily basis, often times just talking out loud to Him, making time to make HIm a part of my day. I did not learn this in church, I learned this by studying the Word and praying over what I read each day.

I guess I am just the oddball around here who does not believe you must attend church to be saved. I do surround myself with Christian people, and we do study together and learn together.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:26 PM

740 posts, read 2,013,553 times
Quote:
<Where's my 'God On-Apply directly to the Atheist-God On-Apply directly to the Atheist-God On-Apply directly to the Atheist-God On-Apply directly to the Atheist-...............'?>
Ok... Alpha... remembering that I am blonde... (I paid for it I can call myself blonde if I want) I had to read that like 5 times to get it. LOL....

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-13-2007 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Quote:
<Where's my 'God On-Apply directly to the Atheist-God On-Apply directly to the Atheist-God On-Apply directly to the Atheist-God On-Apply directly to the Atheist-...............'?>
Ok... Alpha... remembering that I am blonde... (I paid for it I can call myself blonde if I want) I had to read that like 5 times to get it. LOL....

At least someone did.....thanks for the comment....my humor is lost on most!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Quote:
kaykay and jeff you are so right.

I am kaykay still looking. Most of the churches around here are small, and are run by certain families and are cliquish. I guess I am just too sensitive or something, I just can't stand the fakeness of it, plus the fact that we are dealing with our very important entrance into eternal favor with our Lord.

I told my pastor that I didn't feel the church was a place for anger, and I could not help getting angry when I witnessed the way our christian brothers and sisters were acting, that it went against everything that Jesus taught. He could not disagree with me on this, but said I didn't need to let them run me out of church or away from my salvation.

I find that I have grown in my salvation since leaving this negative atomsphere. I was sinning when I let anger get the upper hand with me in such a setting, and I didn't like that either.

So, I feel more at peace than I have in years, the guilt of not going back to my home church is gone, and I do attend a neighboring church, have not joined them though and do not go each time the doors are open. Yet, my walk in the Spirit has grown so much since leaving such negative area and I am more content and happy than I have been in my adult life.

I feel the presence of God where I did not and I seek Him out more and more on a daily basis, often times just talking out loud to Him, making time to make HIm a part of my day. I did not learn this in church, I learned this by studying the Word and praying over what I read each day.

I guess I am just the oddball around here who does not believe you must attend church to be saved. I do surround myself with Christian people, and we do study together and learn together.
Just a question here, because Im curious..if someone talks to the pastor like this about a problem, as I have done in the past, and like this one, is it the pastors job to intervene? or just try to keep peace?

What I mean is, should the pastor talk to the church as a whole about a "certain" group running people off, or looking down their noses,,,or do they just quietly pray about it let it go till someone leaves? anythoughts?

Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 PM

740 posts, read 2,013,553 times
I think you are right Arguy... I think it is the pastor's job.. He may give a sermon on it...unless the Holy Spirit is working in the lives of the people, it just gets lost. It is also the pastor's job to rebuke people who are living in sin... but that doesn't happen very much anymore either.

Rebuke....? really ? that would mean that he is judging..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality