Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times

Advertisements

Eastre, dawn goddess

Easter gets its name from the Teutonic goddess of spring and the dawn, whose name is spelled Oestre or Eastre (the origin of the word "east" comes from various Germanic, Austro-Hungarian words for dawn that share the root for the word "aurora" which means " to shine"). Modern pagans have generally accepted the spelling "Ostara" which honors this goddess as their word for the Vernal Equinox.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Eastre, dawn goddess

Easter gets its name from the Teutonic goddess of spring and the dawn, whose name is spelled Oestre or Eastre (the origin of the word "east" comes from various Germanic, Austro-Hungarian words for dawn that share the root for the word "aurora" which means " to shine"). Modern pagans have generally accepted the spelling "Ostara" which honors this goddess as their word for the Vernal Equinox.
Good luck with not offending someone. You and I both know that logic, reason, and facts are punished here, while fantasy, mythology, and delusion are allowed free rein. We can't even express our joy in being free to think for ourselves without being silenced, while the religious can endlessly post hallelujahs and praises without repercussion.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Let's have a revolution!!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I'm well aware how the English word "Easter" came about. I learned it years ago and it doesn't offend me.

I simply tried to make you aware of the word for the holiday in other languages and what word was used before England ever became Christian. Also how its dating is related to Passover and not timed to simply be on the equinox. If it was timed to be near the equinox, rather than near Passover which does use the equinox, why is it as late as April 24 in some years? I mean that's like a month after the equinox. (If you have an explanation that's fine) I might look for some books if you wish to be better educated on this. I found one source you might find useful.

http://books.google.com/books?id=QkI...easter&f=false

Still sure much of how we celebrate it takes in Pagan customs, but it's not really a "pagan holiday" in even the way Christmas could be considered as such.

Although you are right though that some here can be offended by facts.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 12-08-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Still sure much of how we celebrate it takes in Pagan customs, but it's not really a "pagan holiday" in even the way Christmas could be considered as such.
Yes, I love how Christians stubbornly cling to so many pagan icons.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although you are right though that some here can be offended by facts.
That's why I believe television satirist Stephen Colbert hit the nail squarely on the head with his concept of Truthiness -- a "truth" that a person claims to know intuitively, from the gut, without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts. Colbert didn't actually invent the term because it was first coined in the 1820's. However, he did successfully resurrect it in 2005.

Over the past ten or so years I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that facts are liberal, while emotions are conservative. But that's just me.

-- Nighteyes

P.S. Anyone who understands the biochemical functioning of the brain will truly appreciate the depth of, and the stinging rebuke in, this observation...

Old 12-08-2010, 03:45 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
That's why I believe television satirist Stephen Colbert hit the nail squarely on the head with his concept of Truthiness -- a "truth" that a person claims to know intuitively, from the gut, without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts. Colbert didn't actually invent the term because it was first coined in the 1820's. However, he did successfully resurrect it in 2005.

Over the past ten or so years I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that facts are liberal, while emotions are conservative. But that's just me.

-- Nighteyes

P.S. Anyone who understands the biochemical functioning of the brain will truly appreciate the depth of, and the stinging rebuke in, this observation...
I love Stephen Colbert. Brilliant satirist.

And a practicing Catholic.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Quote:
Eastre, dawn goddess

wth- its not easter yet, cant we save this argument for april

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
Quote:
Eastre, dawn goddess

but actually easter comes from ishtar, which is pronounced "Easter" it was a day that commemorated the resurrection of one of their gods "Tammuz", who was believed to be the only son of the moon-goddess and the sun-god.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
but actually easter comes from ishtar, which is pronounced "Easter" it was a day that commemorated the resurrection of one of their gods "Tammuz", who was believed to be the only son of the moon-goddess and the sun-god.
I thought you didn't want to talk about this until April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality