Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you patronize mainly Christian owned businesses?
Yes, almost exclusively 1 1.64%
Yes, as much as possible 7 11.48%
No, it doesn't matter to me, customer service is more important 33 54.10%
No, I purposely avoid them 20 32.79%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:05 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times

Advertisements

I can honsetly say, Other than Chick Fil-A and a few chain Christian book stores, I can't name Christian owned stores. I do shop at those places, along with a million other places. It has no impact on whether or not I shop there or not. I do however look for places with good customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 01:23 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,056 times
I responded no, that it doesn't matter. But I do notice when a company makes a sincere effort when they don't really have too.
For instance, the Martin's "Famous Dutch Taste" Potato Rolls and Bread baking company mention this on the underside of their package:

"May God bless all of our customers with goodness and health! We appreciate every one of you. From The Martin's Team"

Because the label also says that the company is "American Family Owned and Operated", I feel that the blessing has some sincere meaning to it, and it probably reflects the owners actual values to a certain extent.
Does it matter? No. But do I notice? Yes. BTW, their products are really great tasting too!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:27 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,849 times
If they had christian logos on their business cards etc. I would not shop there just because of that (unless the money they made went to charity or the church or something). I think that trying to enrich yourself by using Christian symbols and Jesus is an un-christian thing to do.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Here is a thought. Do you think that maybe people put this on their cards simply as a statement of faith and not looking to make money off it? When I had my marketing/web development company I considered putting the fish emblem on my website. My thinking was that it would be a nice testimony of my faith. But then I thought it could possibly turn people away and they should see Christ in me rather than a fish emblem. I was never looking to make money off the concept when I thought about it. Just another thought to consider

Old 07-16-2007, 12:36 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Here is a thought. Do you think that maybe people put this on their cards simply as a statement of faith and not looking to make money off it? When I had my marketing/web development company I considered putting the fish emblem on my website. My thinking was that it would be a nice testimony of my faith. But then I thought it could possibly turn people away and they should see Christ in me rather than a fish emblem. I was never looking to make money off the concept when I thought about it. Just another thought to consider
I think that's an excellent point. Obviously by the responses I've seen in this thread, I might be actually be hurting my business by doing what I do. I certainly don't do it to try and gain business, otherwise, like Magellan said, I'd do it at the beginning. I don't want anyone to use me BECAUSE I'm Christian, I'm just not ashamed to BE Christian. I don't know if that makes sense, but like I said earlier, it's just who I am.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:55 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I think that's an excellent point. Obviously by the responses I've seen in this thread, I might be actually be hurting my business by doing what I do. I certainly don't do it to try and gain business, otherwise, like Magellan said, I'd do it at the beginning. I don't want anyone to use me BECAUSE I'm Christian, I'm just not ashamed to BE Christian. I don't know if that makes sense, but like I said earlier, it's just who I am.
Alpha. while there are many opinions here, that is all they are, people's opinions. I would not stop giving out the book because of what is said here or anywhere. If you are doing it in the right spirit..which is evident by your posts then I truly would not be concerned. You have an awesome opportunity to touch so many lives. You never know what is going on in someone's life and God can and has used that book and you to change them.

If someone is offended by the book they will more than likely say so. It sounds like you've been successful in your career. Trust in God for your leads and continue to do what you're doing. I seriously believe that people do not look at you giving them the book as proselytzing. If you are in RL who you are here in CD then people know you and your motives.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,034 times
I certainly don't like patronizing business with religious symbols and imitating country flags for their business promotion. In my view they are ideal and noble. I wont choose any thing by the factor but by the service and my satisfaction levels.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 AM

494 posts, read 890,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalist12454 View Post
I certainly don't like patronizing business with religious symbols and imitating country flags for their business promotion. In my view they are ideal and noble. I wont choose any thing by the factor but by the service and my satisfaction levels.
Oh good grief, do you realize you resurrected a thread that's THREE years old? Don't do that! I wish threads were locked after a certain period of no activity.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
Christian charities I will cut some slack. They don't "religion" me to death, believe it or not. They have faith, and live the life. They truly help the needy where I live.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Besides In and Out and Christian bookstores, I can't really think of any stores that are owned by Christians. Maybe that's because I live in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality