Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's symbolic and Sacramental. In my denomination, a child is baptized by pouring. The parents and godparents promise to raise this child as a Christian. The congregation that is witnessing the service also agrees to watch after this child until he/she is old enough to understand and take on his/her own development even if all the parents and godparent neglect this task. It is considered a sacrament in that it provides a means through which a person can receive God's Grace.

When the child is old enough, he/she studies the Church and it's teachings and then accepts and is confirmed as a member in full standing in the congregation. We do not teach that this baptism SAVES, it is merely a vehicle by which the child is brought into full fellowship with the other members. Here again, Our denomination says a Christian is one who tries to follow the teachings of the Bible.

If a person REFUSES to be baptised or confirmed, there would be serious doubt if he/she understood what the Church stood for.
But where does confessing Jesus as Lord come into this?

Arguy, I just tried to Google illegal baptism, but all I got were baptisms taking place in countries where Christianity is illegal.

Alrighty then kay---what happens to that poor soul who confessed but didn't get dunked in time? Defend yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
anyone know what an illegal baptism is? i posted it above..but i think it got missed
I'm not sure there is an "illegal" baptism...IMO it's either baptism or just getting wet.

But then...I'm not legalistic either.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:41 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
well thanks for the try guys and ladies..i tried to google it too Jeff, got the same thing.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
I have to agree with ALL of you! Baptism doesn't save you, and it isn't an absolute requirement to get to heaven. It's a thing you do out of obediance, an outward sign of obediance, providing you are able to do so. If you are on your deathbed, and accept Christ 2 minutes before you die, do you think God expects you to have been baptised? I doubt it. And, what if a quadraplegic gets saved, (or someone with a critical medical condition that would be aggravated by immersion)....are you going to demand that he/she get baptised? I sure woudn't demand it, but if the person requested it I would get a couple strong guys to assist to carry it out.
I have heard of people to argue over small details of exactly how to be baptised, and not just full immersion vs sprinkling. Some say if must be exactly in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Others say it must be exactly in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Others say only an ordained minister can do it, only a certain denomination can do it, etc, etc. So, who is right? I wasn't sure, so I got it done twice,....AND....I was sprinkled as a baby....

Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I was reading thru a local southern Baptist bi-monthly paper-kinda like a newspaper, and in the middle was a segment on Baptism. Well one pastor, I went to HS with him, which is why i was reading it) made a comment that there were too many "illegal" baptisms...I thought in my own mind that he meant, ones that werent done in the church that led to membership, or by ordained clergy. Idk for sure, never saw that term before.
OK. I'll tell you a story that happened at my church.

Had a couple of youth that started coming to our youth group who were members of another church, supposedly were Christians.

Anyway, I'll shrink this way down for you guys and not get into all the details, but basically they got saved, accepted Christ, trusted Jesus, whatever you want to call it, they are now Heaven bound. Anyway, my pastor refused to baptize them unless they joined the church. Won't go any farther now, but I called him on it and he really didn't have a response. I told him that I was going to baptize them(one of them anyway, the other one joined) and he didn't say anything except that he thought that would be fine.

This issue almost led me to leave our church. Still not sure I shouldn't have.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:43 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
But where does confessing Jesus as Lord come into this?

Arguy, I just tried to Google illegal baptism, but all I got were baptisms taking place in countries where Christianity is illegal.

Alrighty then kay---what happens to that poor soul who confessed but didn't get dunked in time? Defend yourself!

Well, okay. The scripture does say, "and baptized." Notice the and part.

Disclaimer: kaykay doesn't really believe baptism is essential to salvation. We're just role playing today in order to sharpen arguing skills for future heated legit debates!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Had a couple of youth that started coming to our youth group who were members of another church, supposedly were Christians.

Anyway, I'll shrink this way down for you guys and not get into all the details, but basically they got saved, accepted Christ, trusted Jesus, whatever you want to call it, they are now Heaven bound. Anyway, my pastor refused to baptize them unless they joined the church. Won't go any farther now, but I called him on it and he really didn't have a response. I told him that I was going to baptize them(one of them anyway, the other one joined) and he didn't say anything except that he thought that would be fine.

Hmmm..... Well, my church doesn't even have "formal membership." So I guess we won't be having any of those kind of issues.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:47 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I can relate to this Alpha, maybe thats what the guy was talking about. Thanks. I think you handled the situation well. At the church we attend now, baptism and joining have nothing to do with each other, if u accept Christ, you can be baptised anywhere anytime, with no obligation to our church, just to God.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Let's pretend for a moment. Suppose you were talking to someone that was completly ignorant of the Christian way. How would you define "Confess Jesus as Lord?"

Would trying to follow his teachings be enough? Why not?

Here again, we are trying to tie God's hands as to who is and who isn't. I don't think that we should do that.

I suspect that when we look at that line outside the Pearly Gates, there will be a lot who have been crossing their fingers about a lot of things.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
[/b]

Well, okay. The scripture does say, "and baptized." Notice the and part.

Disclaimer: kaykay doesn't really believe baptism is essential to salvation. We're just role playing today in order to sharpen arguing skills for future heated legit debates!
But kay, we can't be legalistic about things. The 2nd half only talks about a negative consequence if they don't believe, not if they don't get baptized.

(It just doesn't feel the same kay! Need you and I to put on our boxing gloves!)

And Alpha, that would have left a very bad taste in my mouth, to use the expression. How petty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality