Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I know a lot of people don't agree. But I believe it is required. The Bible states it is for the remission of sins. How then can our sins be forgiven if we are not baptized?

When the Eunich asked what he needed to do to be saved the reply was "believe and be baptized and he immediately went down to the river and was baptized. I think it is essential. And it worries me that others don't see it this way. Alot. I guess God will figure it out.
Well spunky, if this is your belief, you are the perfect one to respond to the OP! No judgement, I am curious though as to what you think about the specific scenario I proposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
God will figure it out, you're right on that spunk.

But the thief on the cross didn't get dipped!!
And you are right about the thief but that was before Je sus actually died on the cross right? Obviously Jesus was still alive, so he hadn't died for our sins. Everything was different while Jesus was still on earth.

And hey Alpha, just to be sure we are on the same page not just "dipped" but full immersion!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
And you are right about the thief but that was before Je sus actually died on the cross right? Obviously Jesus was still alive, so he hadn't died for our sins. Everything was different while Jesus was still on earth.

And hey Alpha, just to be sure we are on the same page not just "dipped" but full immersion!
I agree that if you're gonna be baptized then go all out! But I also see it so symbolic. I think you could be baptized in a tank of coca-cola and the obedience and submission to God would be just as valid as the Jordan River.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:26 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:

Also spunk, Jesus was baptized before He died too....so.....not sure what we do with that point.....

Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I agree that if you're gonna be baptized then go all out! But I also see it so symbolic. I think you could be baptized in a tank of coca-cola and the obedience and submission to God would be just as valid as the Jordan River.
LOL!!! Tank of coca-cola!!! Make it Diet for me, not as sticky.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:40 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
I agree with everyone else. Baptism IS symbolic. But, it is in the Bible that we MUST be baptized by water and of the Holy Spirit. But I think God makes allowances for those that have had some sort of hindrance.
Eventually, I want to be Baptized again. I was a kid when I was baptized and I think I did it because of my mom, not from the heart and out of respect and obedience to God.
My husband and my kids did it the "old fashioned" way...they were all baptized in our local Colorado River...and it's COLD! It's 56 degrees year round, so when it's 120..that water is COLD COLD COLD! But I think it was pretty awesome!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
Quote:
I think you need to round up some Catholics. From what I understand they think baptism is ALL you need for the most part. That if you are bapitized as a child, you are saved. They don't call it saved, and I've heard a Catholic that got offended when someone asked if they were 'saved', but I'm pretty sure they believe that.

Where's Mark S., he's the catholic expert. Him and Beth Ann, I think. Not sure about DawnW, anyone know?
I'm no authority on RC doctrine, but I don't believe that they have that belief. I think it's probably similar to Lutheran belief.

As far as the necessity of Baptism, Lutherans (such as me) don't believe that baptism is ABSOLUTELY necessary for salvation. Obviously, as previously mentioned, the thief on the cross couldn't be baptized. Further, lack of baptism isn't something mentioned as being an exception that will keep you out of Heaven (it doesn't say "He who does not believe and is not baptized will be condemned"). However, baptism is something commanded by Jesus and should be treated as such.

As far as infant baptism, the Lutheran stance is that Baptism is a means of grace. This means that the sacrament of Baptism is truly the initial death of the sinful "Old Adam", the washing away of original sin, and it is one of the means by which the Holy Spirit works faith in the spirit of an individual (Means of Grace). (see Romans 6) Reflecting on our baptism, we are to die daily to sin.

This doesn't specifically mean that if you're baptized that you're "automatically in". If a person rejects their faith, then they reject their faith---it doesn't matter whether they were baptized or not, because they are rejecting their baptism along with their faith. That being said, the baptism is still valid, should their faith return. It is the province of the Holy Spirit to continue to work faith in the fallen away.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah doesn't matter what your baptized in, if that's all you have handy as long as your dunked all the way!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah doesn't matter what your baptized in, if that's all you have handy as long as your dunked all the way!
What if part of your hair doesn't go under, or your finger? Is the whole thing then invalid?

Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
What if part of your hair doesn't go under, or your finger? Is the whole thing then invalid?
Now come on, let's not be ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality